Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Advice please

if you're not hiking or don't care about weight and packability, I'd say use whatever you currently have as long as it's comfortable for you. Walmart blue tarps are fine. they'll get the job done.

If you want to invest some money, go nuts at dutchwaregear.com

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    if you're not hiking or don't care about weight and packability, I'd say use whatever you currently have as long as it's comfortable for you. Walmart blue tarps are fine. they'll get the job done.

If you want to invest some money, go nuts at dutchwaregear.com
    I only wish I could go nuts at dutchware

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    For comfort, get hammock 11 feet or 11 plus. Watch Shug’s ten part YouTube videos on how to hang a hammock, tarp, insulation. Watch Shug’s videos twice and watch a few other videos.
    Go to a local hammock hang before buying lots of gear—-to avoid buyers remorse
    Buy once cry once
    Click Forums click outings click hangouts and select your area of country to find a Hang near you
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 on what PG says here. 11' Chinese off amazon, tarp from the home store, sleeping bag, sleeping pad. Worry about the rest once you get some time in and feel like this is something your going to use and sink money into.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Has anyone ever used these? I have a chance to pick it up at almost half price because the guy does not use it any more

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    My wife and I are 5'4" and 5'3". After much testing we determined that 11' is our minimum acceptable hammock length for comfort.

Do you plan to double hang under a single tarp? This could have an affect on suspension choices.

Dutch's poly daisy chain may be the best alternative for you for the time being. Not too expensive, not too heavy, not too bulky, have a shorter (3") pitch compared to others, not likely to break as the loops are woven in vs sewn, nothing to tie. Many ways to configure connections between tree and hammock, but sufficiently rated 'biners (soft or hard) are the easiest solution. You could eliminate one 'biner at each end by passing the strap through one of it's own loops as it comes around the tree.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Has anyone ever used these? I have a chance to pick it up at almost half price because the guy does not use it any more
    The reviews have been negative for the most part. Many complained about finding the needed tree configuration to hang it and many others complained about everything migrating to the middle (low point) including them especially if anyone moved.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down

I actually have been using the Tentsile for the last couple of years, you won't get a more comfortable lay than this, once you get it set up.

It can be a challenge finding 3 trees that are in alignment, although having said that, I have been able to find trees at all sites we picked. As far as stuff sliding around, that is just user dependent, I sleep in it solo, so the tendency is go low on the loaded side. Solution, set the loaded side a bit higher ... also the fabric is very slippery, get some kitchen drawer nonskid liner and throw that on the other side Voila, no slip.

The idea of it going to the center just means the center strap needs to be tightened .

So although I think it is a good unit and I don't regret buying it, there are some down sides:
    1) the tarp fits pretty snug, is good in rain, but it can feel close inside (I don't see the tarp there, make sure it is included, it is custom)
    2) the crank ratchet is heavy
    3) it can be fiddly to get 3 trees to co operate for hanging
    4) I felt the straps put too much pressure on the trees, so I talked with Dutch and he made me some wider custom ones

I am currently building/looking at replacements as I have to carry my gear and started thinking that although it is comfortable, I may be better off in "standard" hammock type ..... first try will be JFs SuperNova

Hope this info is of some use

Brian

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images

Advice please

I am 5'5 she is 5'3

I’m about the same height as you (5’6”) and I sleep really well in an 11’ hammock. I think you would be happier with something longer than an eno.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    My adult daughter and I started with an ENO Double Nest and ENO Straps. I think the ENO's were mispriced, maybe wholesale price. $18.00 each DN and $3.53 for the straps with carbiners.

What I really like about ENO was the fact thwy gave us free fix for a problem even out of warentee period and they were very polite. Much nicer than other companies we have contacted with questions.

First couple hangs I used a sheep skin under me. Later a felted Pendleton Blanket folded in half. Then I added
    my Vietnam Era Ponch Liner as an UQ.

Next I purchased a Hennessy, disliked how it smelled, felt and looked. I never took it out of the original packaging, I was really put off by it. Finally someone bought it. I did try Hennessy again signifficantly up-grade. Second try was used about 3X.
    Switched to a inexpensive UK hammock I really like. Then a series of popular hammocks.

Hennessy's small rainfly worked very for me once I learned how to use it. Major learning curve.o
    In theprocess of learning the type of gear I needed, I learned things about myself.
    1. I am claustrophobic. Hennessy helped me learn that.
    - I lay feet to the left my head to the right. Also known as Left Lay.
    - With gathered end hammocks I get stuck in them, the bucket effect. The bigger the hammock the more difficult FOR ME TO EXIT. I tried everthing to no avail. I am agile, move freely, however my shoulders and knees dislocate if I am not careful. Thrashing around trying to pop out of the hammock became a bore especially at 0300 hrs. Then vertigo on top of the struggle to exit.

Next I discovered Bridge hammocks, easy in & out. However they require trees a great distance apart. Now I take my Bridge hammock AND my Simply Light Designs gathered end hammock. My SLD has cat. cut sides so it is easier for me to exit and I do not have a big flap of fabric to irritate. Also my SLD is shorter so it is significantly easier to find a place to safely suspend.

I am a bit shorter than your wife and I am getting shorter. My spine is not in great shape. I am active, I dance and am always moving to keep the pain at bay. I use natural pain control 95% of the time which helps me stay limber. Hanging is the only place I am truely pain free. So take that into consideration when making decisions on what you need. Also know your wife might need something very different to meet her needs.

Should I grab a couple of wal Mart tarps to serve as rain flys or should I invest in actual rain flys?

Hammock types? Will it be worth my time to spend the extra on a better set up, or would one of these options be good for someone just getting started?

Ridge lines....what type of cord is best?

Best suspension?
    What is the easiest to set up and use?

In temps above 50 with the camping pads will I really need an UQ?

Cut for brevity, not content. Going in order:

For beginning when you're not certain, and because you're car camping, go with the Wallyworld tarp. Can't beat the price and it'll keep the water off of you.

Hammock type? Use what you have until you have more experience and KNOW what you want. At this point you don't know whether a short hammock will be great or whether you'd be more comfortable in a longer one. But there's time to find that out later. First, find out if you like hammock camping generally. Upgrade later.

Ridgeline: get some zing-it.

Easy suspension? Probably cinch buckles or daisy chain straps with carabiners.

Will you need an underquilt in temps above 50 if you have a pad? No.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast