Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck

Advice please

So I have been reading and rereading and literally pouring through posts. I have now come to the conclusion that I have done nothing more than confuse myself so now I am throwing my self at the mercy of the experienced!

So here are my thoughts and questions.

We will be using our hammocks for normally weekend trips, mostly car camping as I am not able to hike long distances and my wife has back problems that prevent her from hiking at all at the moment.
    This being said what will we really need for a 2 night trip in warmer weather. (Night lows no cooler than the 50s for her sake)

Should I grab a couple of wal Mart tarps to serve as rain flys or should I invest in actual rain flys?

Hammock types? We have the basic cheapo "Chinese" cheap made hammocks with bug nets. She seems to be content with that, however I would actually like to do a bit of traveling and join a hang or 3.
    I have read in places that an ENO basically compares to these hammocks. I have also read that Eno is good. I have found a few smaller companies such as Bear Butt, and Mad grit but have seen these compared to Eno ( ina a positive light). I have also seen them compared to the el cheapo I currently have.
    Will it be worth my time to spend the extra on a better set up, or would one of these options be good for someone just getting started?

Ridge lines....what type of cord is best?

Best suspension? I currently use just a couple of 1 inch nylon web straps(tree friendly),but I hate struggling for minutes to untie the stupid things. I have looked at several different types of suspension systems. What is the easiest to set up and use? I think I am most interested in the looped straps, but are they as sturdy and efficient as they seem?

We already have 1 inch camping pads for insulation. In temps above 50 with the camping pads will I really need an UQ?

Yes, I know that most of this is really personal preference but I would really like this to be a great experience, especially for my wife.

I am hoping you all will at least share your experience as to what you started with, what you have worked up to and what makes that choice a good one!

Thanks in advance! ~Shay

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Advice please

Hi Shay, and welcome. I'm relatively new here, and I mostly roam the forums in sponge mode... picking up as much info as I can. I participate actively in, oh, 5-6 different forums on various subjects currently, and this is by far the most civil, helpful, and non-judgemental group of people you'll fall upon in any forum.

My question for you is what your goals are related to ridgelines, tarps and so on. If your wife is content with your existing setup, and you're looking only to gear up for a group hang--fear not, and just hang what you brang.

If you're not concerned with either bulk or weight, a cheapo blue tarp (though I prefer brown) from any hardware store with corner tieouts will work just fine. You'd want maybe 6-8', non-stretchy cord with stakes for each corner. I'd flop that over a maybe 30' continuous ridgeline (or CRL--you'll see that term used a lot; also non-stretchy, and not to be confused with the separate hammock ridgeline) that will run between the same trees as your hammock and right above it. There's your wind/rain protection sorted for $15-25, depending on lines & stakes.

As for a hammock ridgeline, you can use anything, again, non-stretchy and keep it to about 83% of your hammock length. That is number divined by some long-dead Egyptian god of hammocking--Sa'ag, I think was his name--and determines how your hammock hangs below your suspension. This is mainly a comfort thing, from what I can gather, and can be tuned to your liking, 83% being the starting point.

For all of the lines above, you can use Zing-It or something similar, available from many of the helpful and innovative cottage vendors that frequent this forum. My dealer of choice is Dutchwaregear. Here's a link to the cordage in question:

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/zing-it-or-lash-it/

For insulation, in temps above 50 degrees, you're probably fine with a pad and some form of top quilt. I just used a blanket my first time out and was very comfy. Many people start out by modifying CDTs, or Costco Down Throws, because they're cheap and stuffed with compressible and light down feathers. They can be snapped/sewn together to form a top quilt shape that folds around you, as well as a taco-shell shape that hangs below your hammock and keeps your nether parts warm. That would work in concert with your pad. But you likely don't need to do that unless you're going to hang in lower temps.

Suspensions are the subject of many a friendly debate in these here parts. If your goal is ease of setup, you'd be hard-pressed to beat a daisy chain strap with carabiners (which is what I think you're taking about when you say "looped straps"). These would go around the tree, attach to themselves with a carabiner each, then to the hammock with a carabiner on each end... assuming you have a continuous loop (CL) on each end or your hammock. You could also use something like this:

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ci...eel-loops-pair

You didn't mention bugnets, and I'm wondering whether insects are something you'll encounter where you are. I've never added one to a hammock, but you can buy mesh material by the yard and drape it over your hammock ridgeline, fastening to the hammock with thread, or snaps, or not at all.

This is the cheapest and easiest set of gear that will keep you and your wife dry, warm, and comfy between two trees. As with anything else, you can always spend more if you want to get fancy, and there's nothing wrong with that, either. Car camping means you're not having to carry everything on your back like a pack animal, and thus not driven to spend lots on ultra-lightweight gear.

I hope this helps. I'm sure the many, more experienced of this group will chime in with information to guide you as well. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Snaps; 02-22-2018 at 03:06.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Welcome.

Basically you have the gear you need already.

Upgrade as you like.

Car camping with little hikking lends itself to other options that are not ideal for tramping.

A heavy tarp is not a huge consideration and if you already have one you dont need the latest $xxxx lightweight versions.

Pads are ok-i still use them but mine is a 3/4 inflatable-one trick is to not fully inflate it so it conforms to hammock better.

Tree straps of sone sort are basically essential and whoopie slings make life to easy.

Eno IS a cheap chinese made hammock-you would be amazed at the actual cost price-they just advertize alot-seams to be at university and tertiary education places alot.

I too started out in a cheap chinese jungle hammock with intergrated bug net.
    Ok to start but longer,wider styles are far more comfy.
    I still have my jungle hammock....somewhere,but never use it now.

My latest hammock is a nice soft upholstery cotton.just knotted at each end with a couple of homemade friction locks on each end.
    I only use this for car camping or beach hang(11' long).
    Suspension is treestraps twisted back on itself and a simple dybeema line with a loop spliced in one end and larks headed to the tree strap then the loose end on the friction locks.

Yet to fail and extreemly cost effective.

Carrabiners might be an option for speed for you.

I use a down sleeping bag as a top quilt because i have 3 down bags.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I have been hard core looking tonight and for myself, because I have gained a bit of weight I really feel I do need something larger than my single, that being said I think I have found a few cost effective starter type options that won't break the bank

BB double hammock, straps and fly for around 80 total with a net that is on sale on Amazon as well for 20 more.

Or

I habe also found that Eno and Hennessey also appear to offer hammock with net, and fly for around 160.

I have literally spent hours tonight looking and I may go with one of these options, just because I am all about max comfort.

I think these, plus what we have already will get us through the next 3 seasons when weather cooperates. She loves her hammock so I am gonna give her the option of keeping it or upgrading.

I don't think the wifey realizes how serious I am about doing this and gettijng as much hang time as I possibly can this year I was out last night at the park just for the heck of it so long that the ranger had me move my car outside the gate so he could lock up without locking me in!

I think once we get the hang of things so to speak, we will continue to upgrade, the kiddos can have our extras!

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    How tall are you? Your comfort level in an eno is largely dependent on your height.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Advice please

For comfort, get hammock 11 feet or 11 plus. Watch Shug’s ten part YouTube videos on how to hang a hammock, tarp, insulation. Watch Shug’s videos twice and watch a few other videos.
    Go to a local hammock hang before buying lots of gear—-to avoid buyers remorse
    Buy once cry once
    Click Forums click outings click hangouts and select your area of country to find a Hang near you

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    How tall are you? Your comfort level in an eno is largely dependent on your height.
    I am 5'5 she is 5'3

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    For comfort, get hammock 11 feet or 11 plus. Watch Shug’s ten part YouTube videos on how to hang a hammock, tarp, insulation. Watch Shug’s videos twice and watch a few other videos.
    Go to a local hammock hang before buying lots of gear—-to avoid buyers remorse
    Buy once cry once

The sad thing is that the 2 hangs ibhave found in the next 2 months are ones I can't attend. One has a hike I am iffy about making, the other is almost 9 hours away

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    The sad thing is that the 2 hangs ibhave found in the next 2 months are ones I can't attend. One has a hike I am iffy about making, the other is almost 9 hours away

There will be more Hangs and there are hammock aficionados in your neck of the woods
    Good luck

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Re: tarps, if you're not packing it, a polyurethane coated nylon tarp is perfectly suitable, and in beavy downpours, actually a bit drier. Look at Chinook and Equinox.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast