Dream Hammock, Darien
    Tarp
    HG, CF Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    EE, Rev and Revolt
    Suspension
    Dutch Ref RL

Hello and Hailing from Santa Maria, California

Hello everybody. I'm new to the site and I've always came across the site when I was doing my research on hammocks two years ago. This was always the hub of intel when it came to hammock anything. It finally took me two years to finally join the site. I still feel new the hammock camping as I've only hammock camped a handful of times in the two year span. Most of the time I usually jump on tent camping because the areas I camp don't allow hammocks. Anyway, I love hammock camping and if I could use one every time I go backpacking or car camping I would choose a hammock.

My hammock backpacking experience is limited. I've only used my hammock setup four times on backpacking trips. My first backpacking trip was at Big Sur on the Vicente Flats trail. It was also the first time I used my hammock rig. Photos of the trip is in my gallery. The second time was at Zion on the Virgin River Narrows. My best friend was able to get passes to camp on one of the nine or so camp sites and there are plenty of trees to hang. My third trip was at Colson Canyon, but I forgot the name of the trail. This was probably my worst backpacking trip. My fourth and last was just south of Big Sur on Salmon Creek trail. Every experience was always the best sleep ever, but I learned a lot of things about backpacking as well as taking from the few mistakes I made along each trip. Very humbling and loved each trip with the good and bad.

Lastly I just acquired a pass along with my friends for Havasupai in Arizona in late March. I plan on using the hammock rig Photos will be posted.

I kinda rambled on, but thank you for having me and if y'all have any question just let me know and I'll do my best to give you an answer. Cheers!

-kokonut805
    Last edited by kokonut805; 02-22-2018 at 22:00.

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    Hello and welcome. I can't wait for Sykes hot springs to reopen, although regulations for that trail and many other in the area may change. Definitely many state parks that don't allow any hanging from there trees, but my pipe stand is portable and I've used it in many beach state parks. As far as backpacking, unless there's no trees in high altitude, my hammock is always with me. I'm so done with sleeping on the ground. Still have to improve my tarp set up when dealing with high winds. At Gaviota state park, with pipe stand, I gave up with the tarp in the high winds during November. Hammocking has been a great experience and only improved the worst part of being outdoors, comfortable sleep.zzzzzz. Hope to see you on the trail.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock, Darien
    Tarp
    HG, CF Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    EE, Rev and Revolt
    Suspension
    Dutch Ref RL
    Thanks dhkayaker. I've never tried Sykes hot springs, but I'll definitely add that to my "places to hang list" lol. I did Salmon Creek trail in September 2017. Also, I think the trail to Vicente Flats is open now because I saw a recent youtube video of this guy parking out front of Kirk camp grounds and then hiking inland as I did to Vicente Flats. I don't think Vicente Flats is part of Big Sur.

Camping out at Gaviota area was pretty brave of you considering the high winds. I've car camped at El Capitan and I was lucky to have no winds that weekend. I had my ENO double nest as a lounging hammock up that weekend. I didn't get much flack from the park host or rangers for having it up, but I'll definitely need to do my research of the "do & don'ts" of where to put up my hammock. I had to take it down at Lopez Lake due to the drought two years in a row and so I don't bother putting it up anymore.

Another good mention to go to, but I think the last big fire in the Santa Barbara county may have taken it out, is Cold Springs Trail. I used a tent because I didn't know there were gonna be decent trees to hang off of at the camp sites, but that is very much doable for hammocks. One of my friends that I backpacked with brought his and of course he slept like a baby.

Anyway likewise back to you, see you on the trail amigo.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Northern Arkansas!

Hammock
    Eno SuperSub
    Suspension
    Eno Heliox XL
    P1030805.jpg
    Ironically we were on our first Hammock Backpack that same weekend at Buckeye camp just south of you. We were going to San Vicente Flats, but with Highway 1 closed, decided on Buckeye.

• + New Posts