Chameleon Options? Help

I know these will be simple and probably silly questions. But I'm having a hard time deciding exactly what I want to order.

For the record, I'm 5'11 170lbs and currently use a WBBB XLC. I'm wanting to get a Chameleon also. Partly because I want an extra hammock for my 3y/o daughter or wife to use. But mostly because I want it to replace my current backpacking hammock. I like the double zippers, add-ons, and it seems like you can see better out of it.

I feel like the wide will be a little too much at 70" right? But I am slightly use to the XLC at 63". I don't want too much extra fabric that is drooping in my face but am worried about the 58" being enough. I've also really considered the symmetrical bug net instead of the asym but don't know that its necessary. I think I'll hold off on the top cover being that I live in Alabama and have never been cold with a simple underquilt and sleeping bag as top cover.

TLDR; 5'11 170lbs - - - standard or wide? Symmetrical (side car) or Asym + Sidecar? Hexon 1.6 vs Argon 1.6?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Tough questions but if you want to be able to lay both ways then that solved that question. I'm 5' 9" and the regular width is fine with me plus if you getting it to backpack the less weight the better. I bought a top cover and only used it once due to condensation so that'll never be used again by me and like you I'm in Alabama and have warm quilts so I do not need the added weight and moisture. The side car would be a necessity if your used to the shelf on the BlackBird in my opinion. Good luck in what ever you choose. It's a great hammock and very light weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Tough questions but if you want to be able to lay both ways then that solved that question. I'm 5' 9" and the regular width is fine with me plus if you getting it to backpack the less weight the better. I bought a top cover and only used it once due to condensation so that'll never be used again by me and like you I'm in Alabama and have warm quilts so I do not need the added weight and moisture. The side car would be a necessity if your used to the shelf on the BlackBird in my opinion. Good luck in what ever you choose. It's a great hammock and very light weight.
    Thank you, I think I might just try the standard and I'm sure I could sell it if I felt I needed the wide instead. I also guess that the bug net with side car can have the two tie outs go to one stake since with the symmetrical net its supposed to be at the head and feet.
    Last edited by Mac848; 02-23-2018 at 15:24.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    If you get the wide, we cam make it any width less than 70 inches. I would suggest the Hexon 1.6. Getting the net with the attached sidecar sounds like the right choice for you.

Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    FWIW I am 6'2" and 175 lbs, and when I switched to a standard-width Chameleon from my slightly wider Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, I noticed no loss of comfort or room -- at all. Unless you're someone who likes to achieve a really aggressive diagonal lay in a gathered-end hammock as opposed to a more moderate one, I think the standard Chameleon will actually work out well for you, and you wont increase your weight or run into unintended issues related to having more fabric in the hammock body than you need (especially if you intend to loan it out occasionally to family members who are smaller than you are). That said, Dutch's offer to customize a wide down to 63" may be the best of both worlds.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    If you get the wide, we cam make it any width less than 70 inches. I would suggest the Hexon 1.6. Getting the net with the attached sidecar sounds like the right choice for you.

Thank you, Dutch

I've been emailing back and forth and appreciate the input I received. I ordered a Wide and asked in the order details that it be cut to 63", I figured that would be the best of both worlds. Also ordered a top cover and built in side car (in mesh) seperately. I hope I purchased the right item when I did that lol.

Now to get it and my moroccan underquilt in before my next AT section in March. Fingers crossed!

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac848 View Post
    Thank you, Dutch

I've been emailing back and forth and appreciate the input I received. I ordered a Wide and asked in the order details that it be cut to 63", I figured that would be the best of both worlds. Also ordered a top cover and built in side car (in mesh) seperately. I hope I purchased the right item when I did that lol.

Now to get it and my moroccan underquilt in before my next AT section in March. Fingers crossed!
    Consider getting a Breathalizer to go with your top cover to help with condensation. Dutch sent me one to try and, combined with opening the head end of the top cover to vent just a bit, it seems to work pretty well keeping the condensation down.

• + New Posts