Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Since I'm going to use my 20F almost exclusively in below-freezing weather, I prefer a sewn footbox, since I have virtually no need to vent it. However, if you employ the "one quilt to rule them all" strategy, you'll definitely want the snaps. Some of my cottage vendor cold-weather quilts do have a snap footbox, and they still rock, so it's not a big deal either way.

I see all these thru-hiker types on YouTube showing off their low-baseweight pack loads, and they are bringing super-expensive ultralight 20-degree (or even 10-degree) top quilts of minimal dimensions to sleep in even during summer trips. I never get that. Why not just bring a 30F or 40F quilt that weighs the same and fits better if you have virtually no chance of taking your quilt to its rating?
    I see your point, but as a counter, for some of the higher elevation thru hikes (like the CDT and parts of the PCT) the temps can get quite low even during the summer, so to save money (in the long run) I can understand the thought process of buying a 20F quilt for the whole trip instead of buying 2 diff temps that you have to swap out at some point

Hammock
    Home sewn, 11'
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Synth UQ, Down TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    ...I have one with low quality snaps and they keep popping open all night. I've been meaning to replace them with KamSnaps which should hold better. I have a cheap UQ that uses snaps and velcro. That sounds like a good idea but it really isn't.
    I used KamSnaps when I made my TQ. I don't think it's the quality of the snaps. It's more the voracity of my restless feet!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by redpossum View Post
    Looking at getting a 20° topquilt but not sure which foot box to get. Which do you prefer snapped or sewn and why?
    I have a Loco Libre 20 degree snap topquilt and just ordered a Hammock Gear 40 degree sewn footbox. In hindsight, I wished I would have had the 20 degree in a sewn footbox too. Any venting I need to do I can just kick a foot out of the box, but when it's windy that gap at the bottom and near the snaps makes it colder than it should be. I actually tie the end of my foot box shut by whipping the foot box line around the hole. It helps, but the gaps where the snaps are still are not as warm.

I'm typically a cold sleeper, but once my legs and feet get cold, my whole body is cold.. That even happens in the low 60 degrees.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Based on this thread I just changed my Hammock Gear Econ 20 order from snaps to sewn. Wish I would've read this before I ordered and saved myself the $15 change fee.

I'm a cold sleeper (especially my feet) and thought the snaps would add versatility since I'm on a one-quilt budget but it sounds like it's not worth it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Good choice.

Brian

Agreed. I only have one TQ (for now) and it is a 20° HG Burrow with a sewn footbox. If I get too warm, just stick a foot out or pull it back a bit from one side. I didn't ever see myself using it with the footbox undone and having the peace of mind of no gaps down there is reassuring when climbing into it on a cold night.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    I have a 0 degree Loco Libre Ghost Pepper with snap foot box and I sort of wish I had the sewn one honestly. Because I use it for mostly COLD hanging. I got it because of it's versatility which I DO like, but when it is really cold you gotta stuff something in the hole and slippery half hitch behind the cord lock so it doesn't slip. Ironically my 40 degree TQ which is one of my old down bags converted to a TQ HAS a sewn foot box because it of course was a mummy bag made that way! I am so stinkin' backwards! Hahaha!! With your 20 degree bag, I am on the fence really. With that rating I would be inclined to go snap footbox as you will use it warmer probably. Hard decision there!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I'm hoping my CDT Gemini (once it's done) will cover the warmer seasons. I'm also not averse to using my one-pound fleece sleeping bag or my two-pound 40 degree synthetic sleeping bag (which for me is a late spring/early fall bag) when it's warm enough. I really wanted something to use when it's cold and be more comfortable in early spring/late fall temperatures. I think the 20 with the sewn footbox will help me do that.

And yes, I'm justifying my change out loud.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    I'm hoping my CDT Gemini (once it's done) will cover the warmer seasons. I'm also not averse to using my one-pound fleece sleeping bag or my two-pound 40 degree synthetic sleeping bag (which for me is a late spring/early fall bag) when it's warm enough. I really wanted something to use when it's cold and be more comfortable in early spring/late fall temperatures. I think the 20 with the sewn footbox will help me do that.

And yes, I'm justifying my change out loud.
    I have sewn footboxes(?) on my 20° and 50° top quilts and have never wished I had the ability to open them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    I’ve really enjoyed opening my snap quilts this winter when in a traditional bed, which is 99% of the time. I need extra covers, my husband doesn’t, so an open TQ is a perfect solution.

The problem? A sewn quilt is much more comfortable in a hammock. It feels so nice not to have the blamed string getting entangled with my legs. The snaps are less problematic but I’d rather not feel them at all.

Tough call.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast