11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies

WY>Wind River Range>August 20-26 2018 Trip Details

I am starting a new thread on this as details have changed slightly and this is more set in stone. I am looking for a few people who are interested in joining me although looking to keep the group no more than 6 in total. This trip won't happen with less than 3 people due to recommendations of hiking with 3 or more people in Grizzly country.

Following on from last year's southern loop in the Wind River Range that included Cirque of the Towers and Lizard Head Pass (pretty epic and stunning hiking) this year's trip will be a northern loop and will start and end at Elk Hart Park, and will include Green River, Photographers Point and a side trip to Titcomb Basin. Total miles, including Titcomb Basin is 78 miles (there is a possible cut-off to bypass 12 miles if necessary towards the end).

This is the route we would be taking: https://caltopo.com/m/91E1

Please be aware that the Wind River Range is some TOUGH hiking and if you aren't fit and capable you will struggle, although it is still doable if you really want to do it. I would prefer not to have to make use of my InReach and I will not be baby-sitting anyone. Average days are 10-12 miles and they aren't easy miles much of the time so packing as light as possible is highly recommended.

The route will be hiked counter-clockwise to allow for the 12 mile cut-off being closer to the end when people are more likely to need it.

Dates for the trip will be the week of August 20-26 (Monday-Sunday). This was more than enough time for the last trip, although that was fewer miles (it was done in 5 days). Weather is generally as good as it is going to get for the area during late August and early September.
    Arrival at Elk Hart Park would be August 19 so as to get a full days of hiking on August 20th. A night in Pinedale at the end of the trip is highly recommended.

Elk Hart TH near Fremont Lake, north of Pinedale is easy to access with a car and has plenty of parking.

Gear recommendations for this trip include a good base layer, puffy jacket, warm hat and gloves, and a sleeping bag or quilt rated to 20* as it can get into the 20s at night at any time in Wyoming mountains. Hiking poles are also immensely helpful. Hammocking is possible but you might not be with the group for sleeping due to location of trees and flat open places.

Ursaks recommended due to being in Grizzly country but we actually found that we were able to hang our food every night on the last trip. I will still be bringing mine with an Opsak liner. Black bears can occasionally be a problem near some of the trail heads.

Curious? Check out my blog posts from last year's September trip here: https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.c...r-2017-part-1/
    Last edited by DuneElliot; 02-25-2018 at 14:24.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    This is outstanding country to visit. I wouldn't let concerns of meeting griz deter anyone as there really isn't much griz activity in the Winds. They are gradually dispersing back down into the Winds, but there is much less griz activity than in the country north of the Winds, i.e. Teton, Washakie, and Absaroka-Beartooth Wildernesses and Teton and Yellowstone NPs. However, black bears will be there and safe food/attractants storage is needed and is simply the best habit to get into. Pepper spray can be a good precaution and may prove useful for settling any camp arguments.

Typically is an exceptionally nice time of the year planned for the trip.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Forgot I had posted this here too. We are coming up to May and people are starting to figure out their summer plans. This trip is still a go and I am stillnlooking for a few people to join me.

Images
    Is this posted in another thread also?

This will be a wonderful trip for those able to cover that many daily miles at such high altitude. Anyone with some altitude acclimatization ( a few days or a week at elevations 6000-7000+ feet) will have a much easier time.

Not that I have ever had such a luxury on my previous trips to the Winds or other high altitude areas, not since I moved from the mountain west 30 years ago. But we did not ever average 12 miles per day, more like 1/2 of that.

Normally my trips to the Winds have taken place a week or 2 later, 1st week of Sept. One week of perfect weather we hit exactly 20F every morning low. Another we had almost a week of nothing lower than 40F followed by a last night of 15F. Once on June 27th we had a foot+ of snow followed by 24F.

My memory ( though it has been 18 years since I have been on that route) is that a much higher % was above timberline, far fewer trees to hang from than Big Sandy/Lonesome Lake etc. But I was strictly ground dweller then, so if there were trees suitable for hanging and commonly available, I would not have noticed. I certainly don't remember many trees from Island Lake to Titcomb Basin. Something for the hangers to keep in mind. But in the south I was always able to hang, except for 1 night when I had altitude sicknes and could not get over Texas Pass until the next morning, and had to camp at Texas Lake. If possible, less than zero trees there! LOL!

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Still lookibg for interested parties. Currently only two of us going and would.like to double that

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Three confirmed (including me) and one maybe which leaves room for a couple more. This really will be quite an amazing trip

• + New Posts