Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Cool vid, I liked the beginning going through how you packed your Circuit. I just got mine and was interested to see where you put diff things.

Agree with the above suggestions about a hammock-specific one. Im interested in learning more about site selection in regards to protection from wind and whatnot and people's thought process when they're looking where to set up (like what else goes through your head when selecting)

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    So I actually didn’t avoid shelters.

The general answer to this question isn’t hammock specific; walk a ways beyond the shelter and stealth camp or just plan your mileage around them.

That said, I was a fan of staying near shelters for the social aspect. And privvies.

Most shelters had areas nearby for tents and that means even more options for hammockers, I’d just find a spot 20 to 50 yards away so I had my own comfy space, but could also walk up to the shelter to sit on the benches or whatnot and eat dinner with friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also didn't avoid shelters. In addition to privies they were notorious for having great water sources near by. Most shelters had prime hammocking trees within eye sight.

I could hear most of the video but it was pretty low volume wise. For me I fixed this but moving the camera a little closer but if you edit in I movie you can jack the volume up or dull any background too.

Also, I like hammock specific videos and need you to cover in great detail why atlas straps need to be banned from thru hiking.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    So I actually didn’t avoid shelters.

The general answer to this question isn’t hammock specific; walk a ways beyond the shelter and stealth camp or just plan your mileage around them.

That said, I was a fan of staying near shelters for the social aspect. And privvies.

Most shelters had areas nearby for tents and that means even more options for hammockers, I’d just find a spot 20 to 50 yards away so I had my own comfy space, but could also walk up to the shelter to sit on the benches or whatnot and eat dinner with friends

When I mentioned "avoiding shelters" I meant strictly not sleeping in them but finding a spot near or around them...especially in the Smokies.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    When I mentioned "avoiding shelters" I meant strictly not sleeping in them but finding a spot near or around them...especially in the Smokies.
    Ahhh I gotcha.

Next time I head out there (actually thinking of a shennies trip early spring) I’ll see if I can’t tackle this with actual examples on trail.

But, Chris above is correct both about shelter space and his hatred for atlas straps.

Usually, in fact pretty much every shelter I camped by will have a clearing or small space nearby for campers. There are a few that can be tricky because they’re on a ridge or some other narrow corridor, but it’s pretty much always doable.

I actually enjoyed this, I would frequently try to find....interesting places to hang the hammock. One because sometimes flat tent spaces were limited and I wanted my buds to find good spots and two because it was fun for me. Every campsite was kind of like a game, or puzzle to figure out.

Worst case I’d just walk a ways further or back and walk off trail a bit and make it work. You may not have picture perfect flat bare earth under you but you’ll still have a good hang.

I consider hammocking actually easier on trail than a tent; more often than not the tenters will be the ones looking for an ok space than a hammocker, so worry not.

And the Smokies are actually easier. Every shelter I can recall in the Smokies had a very large clear space around them and plenty of places to hang. Some even had numerous fire pits. I only hung 2 or so nights due to the rules (I had a pad shipped to myself in Fontana)

Basically the routine for me after getting to a campsite was take a quick look around then drop my stuff between the trees I picked. If I didn’t immediately see a pair I’d drop my pack and wander around a bit first, but I promise that after awhile you’ll just eyeball tree sets and know where home will be for the night. I still do it now just walking the dog.

Then I’d set up the hammock and tarp. After that I’d change clothes real quick and enjoy a breather because now all the work is done and I can relax.

At which point I’d go fill my dirty water bottles and bring my cook kit to the communal eating space (if I was with friends or I’d there was one at all, usually in front of the shelter there will be stumps to sit on or a tree)

Then it was banter over the sounds of stoves and and the delicious moments of a full pot of mac n’ cheese

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I only hung 2 or so nights due to the rules
    This is what I was curious about, how often you got to use your hammock in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkali View Post
    This is what I was curious about, how often you got to use your hammock in the park.
    I abused by the rules; if a shelter is full id set up my hammock.

Usually if t wasn’t full I’d walk to the next, or hang out awhile hoping ppl showed up and filled it.

Or it was storming like crazy and I was happy to have a spot.

Once I was hiking with a ranger and he poked his head in, saw it not quite full,
    Smiled at me and said “I’d say this is full, go ahead and set up.”

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkali View Post
    I used my hammock once but it turned into a horrible night because another hammocker was nearby and snoring so loud even my ear plugs couldn't drown him out. I got a pad shipped to me at Fontana Dam as well. The Smokies is one area where I was happy to attempt to follow the rules. The idea to not have to sleep in the shelter was hike late into the afternoon or linger at one until right before the sun went down to give others a chance to fill up the shelter.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks guys and congrats on your thru's.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

What do you guys and gals think?

Thoughts, questions, comments?
    really liked the honest appraisal of gear at the start, and the non-shill nature of mentioning what you liked/disliked and why

I also really appreciated that you linked to each item in the description box

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast