Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

My beagle Joey's first hike/night in a hammock 3/3/18!

Joey got his rabies vaccine and NJ pet license recently, so he was legal to hike the Pine Barrens trails. The weather looked good this weekend, with a high around 50 and a low around 34. On the 1.5 hour drive to Atsion, Joey was extremely nervous. I don't think he had ever driven that far and he couldn't sleep. We finally got there, where njredneck was waiting to hike with us. As soon as we hit the trail, Joey's mind was blown! He had never smelled anything like the Pine Barrens. Beagles have one of the keenest senses of smell of all dogs, and the Pine Barrens was sensory overload.

After hiking about half of the six miles to our destination, Lower Forge, we stopped and took a rest. Joey drank an entire liter of water! We got to camp around 4:30 pm and I put Joey on a long leash so I could set up my hammock. Joey wasn't having it - he did not want to be tied up and ignored, and started barking (and I definitely didn't want him to bark). He tried to eat my Zing-It guylines, my cuben fiber tarp, my quilts and my Chameleon hammock. Eventually, I had to give up on setting up, until njredneck was done and could keep Joey company.

After I set up my hammock, I gave Joey some dry food, then I cooked him a hamburger on my Emberlit EL Mini titanium wood stove. He also ate some of the Italian sub I brought for dinner. We stoked the Emberlit with wood for an hour or so and enjoyed the ambience, then went to bed around 8 pm because njredneck and I were tired, and Joey was too.

I was somewhat worried how Joey would take to sleeping in a hammock. He's never lasted 15 minutes in my office hammock. However, Joey was perfectly fine, but I think I lucked out with the high winds. They probably dispersed any animal scent or noise that otherwise would have woken him up and caused him to howl. I was very concerned about how he would react if the coyotes came through, but if they were out there, the howling wind covered up their noise.

Joey woke up around 10 pm and I had to take him for a walk. He woke me again at 3 am, and had to have another walk. He noticed the moon reflecting off the Batsto River, and wanted to go check it out. While I had tried to get him to drink river water earlier in the day (ice cold and as pure as can be found in the US - better than the fetid puddles he usually slurps from), he wouldn't do it. But the moon seduced him on this walk, and he drank at least a liter. After going back to sleep, Joey soon discovered that I don't entirely zip up my Chameleon hammock, so he started hanging his head out so he could cool down. Once cooled off, he would crawl down into the footbox of my underquilt for further sleep, then repeat the whole process, over and over again. He finally woke me again at 6 am, and I had to take him for another walk, which involved more thirst-quenching at the river.

It was already daylight by the time we got back to camp around 6:30 am, so Joey woke up njredneck (nobody wakes up njredneck - he's always the first to rise!). Njredneck made coffee, and I tried to pack up, but Joey did not want to be left alone on the leash. It was too early to be barking, but he wasn't as bad as the night before. However, when I tried to go to the latrine, Joey wouldn't tolerate that. I had to ask njredneck to keep him company, and gave him a bag of pistachios to occupy Joey (he loves pistachios).

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

We hit the trail and Joey was much more mellow and used to the Pine Barrens. Njredneck and I were not doing too well since we are old and out of shape - we had to stop for a Tylenol/aspirin break and to give Joey some water. Njredneck's ankle was bothering him so he called his son to drive in and rescue us. My transverse arch was killing me, and I had a wicked thigh cramp as well, so it was nice when Christoper showed up to cut a mile off our trek. Joey slept the entire way home and I didn't want to wake him up, even though I was hungry and could have used a stop at Wendy's for something to eat.

Overall, I think it was a very successful first hike-and-hammock hang for Joey. Much of his fidgety attitude and waking up was due to him being a 10-month old puppy, and also due to the newness of the whole thing. I do expect him to grow out of those behaviors on future hangs. While Joey was a pain in the butt about some things, it was nice to share the piney woods with such a fine dog. I have never really had a hiking dog. I think he did pretty good with 11 miles in two days!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Pistachios, hamburger, and an Italian sub. Pup eats better than I do on the trail

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Good luck on many hammock trips through the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Nice outing, thanks for sharing. Good for you and Joey.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Joey is 40 pounds of beagle - the veterinarian said he might top out at 45 lbs. I never heard of a beagle that big. When I take him hiking locally, I let him pull on the leash (more of a workout for me). However, that didn't work out too well when hiking with a backpack. The shoulder straps on my backpack really dug into my my shoulders because of all of Joey's pulling. I may have to teach him how to heel!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-05-2018 at 23:29.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    It's a process getting a dog used to backpacking trips. We had some ordeals with ours when we first started taking them out, but seeing them enjoying the wild places is totally worth it. Glad you have a new hiking buddy!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    What a great trip!
    My little 12 lb Chihuahua/Terrier mix loves hiking and loves to sleep in the hammock. I take her with me every chance I get.
    Loved the pictures of Joey. Beautiful dog.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Good story, thanks for sharing

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Great post. Thanks for sharing.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I really would have felt stupid if Joey had not been able to handle hammock camping. I wasn't worried about hiking - I knew he could handle that since he's been on a six-mile hike before. What I was worried about:

1) Joey had never spent more than 15 minutes in a hammock. I was concerned he might panic being enclosed and shred my Chameleon (which is why I brought a spare hammock).
    2) Joey had never slept overnight, in the back yard or in the woods. There were critters out there, and if they were anywhere near, he would have smelled them or heard them.
    3) Joey is a beagle. My previous beagle was basically a mute and rarely barked or howled. Joey, however, is a true beagle, and he will bark and howl for just about anything. I was prepared to pack up my hammock and stealth camp about a mile away if he decided to go uncontrollable "beagle" on me.

However, we have been together for 10 months, and he spends about 10 to 12 hours a day with me. I was fairly confident that he would trust me. I'm glad it worked out - especially for him. It's one thing to be a house dog, but I think a trail/camping dog is gonna have a lot more fun!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast