Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which hammock

Which hammock

Hi all. I'm new to the hanging thang. But wanting to give it a try. Here's where I need help. I'm doing a hike on the Ozark trail in Missouri. I've always tent camped and now wanting to hang. I have no ideal where to start. I don't wanna break the bank on my first hammock. Would like a decent one to make sure it's right for me before getting a expensive one. Any help is greatly appreciated. I think I would like a double. Not sure about the net. That's why I'm open to discussion. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to HF! Getting started from scratch with hammock hiking is a bit like jumping into the ocean and heading...somewhere. It's a big space in which to swim. There's lots of swimming coaches here though.

Your initial plan is sound. Start with decent and inexpensive before breaking the bank (but you will break the bank some day, I guarantee it, if you find you love hanging). If Missouri has skeeters, you will want a net unless you are a winter-only hiker. The options are: integrated net or separate from hammock. What are you not sure about?

Why do you think you might like a double? Are you tall? thin? heavy? short? How about thinking of a 9', 10', or 11' hammock as opposed to a "double". Longer hammocks tend to be more comfy overnight while short hammocks do okay for afternoon naps. Let the discussion begin!
    Last edited by Watertooner; 03-05-2018 at 23:01.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I recommend an 11 ft. Dutch netless hammock for starters. Get to know hammocking at its most elemental before venturing off into the world of hammocks with integrated bugnets. That's a whole other can of worms.

Though I have a couple of double-layer hammocks, it was a passing fancy. I thought the double layer might be a solution to managing pads in a hammock, but an UQ is a much better solution to staying warm underneath (and no condensation!).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    "Double" is something Eno has sold which just means "pretty wide". The ugly part of that reality is it's kind of a short hammock (less comfortable), and so wide that you'll have flappy fabric drooping over you from the side.

An 11 foot hammock around 62" wide will be pretty good. Plenty of options. Simply Light Designs is my favorite on a budget, Dutchware and Warbonnet has some good stuff too. DreamHammock has the Raven for a quality inexpensive netted model; or for netless you can pretty much go with any of those manufacturers and add a bottom entry bugnet if you prefer. Warbonnet Thunderfly is a nice tarp which is a good balance of weight, coverage, and price. And HammockGear makes some great Econ underquilts, which are more comfortable than a pad (which is also fine, instead)

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Hard to say without knowing personal specs, and when (bugs!) and what weather, etc

Maybe start out with a Dutchware Chameleon with bug net (which is removable) and HG Econ TQ and UQ, and a Quest hex tarp.

This is slightly toward the expensive side for the first-timer, but there are three big upsides to doing it this way:

1) You're more likely to have a positive experience using good gear vs crap

2) If you don't like it you can sell it easily and recoup a good portion of the cost

3) If you do like it you're all set for a good long while with quality gear
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    If Missouri has skeeters, you will want a net unless you are a winter-only hiker.
    It's not just the skeeters you have to worry about in Missouri, it's the ticks also. I would definitely recommend a net and treat your hammock/net with permethrin.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I agree with SilvrSurfr; 11ft Dutch netless - don't forget suspension and tree straps. If you can sew, I always recommend this setup:

https://youtu.be/gQRoEpK-7SY

Even if you can't, this a great project in which to learn. First thing I ever sewed and I am still using it today (8 years later). It is inexpensive and very durable.

Buy an econ underquilt and use a sleeping bag for top quilt. If you need a tarp, go cheap (and heavier) with blue Wal-Mart tarp. You can use paracord for ridge line and tie outs. While at Wal-Mart, pick up 5 aluminum Y stakes and a blue foam sleeping pad. Cut the pad in 4ths and take one piece with you for under your feet (doubles as a sitting pad).

This setup will get you down to 30-40*F and is probably around $250 (worth every penny). Hanging makes any trip so much more enjoyable!

Commentary - double wide hammock is good for naps; not a great camping hammock (too short).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have a couple Simply Light Designs hammocks and we love them. They were our first ones.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by John844 View Post
    I have a couple Simply Light Designs hammocks and we love them. They were our first ones.
    I 2nd SLD! I have tried several but the SLD is just that, a good solid simple and light design! I have tried a dozen hammocks and if I had to keep just one, the SLD would be the one I would keep at this point.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Which hammock

If you posted your height and weight, the pros here could give you recommendations on size and fabric types to look for so that you are comfortable, but still not carrying a hammock that’s heavier than you need. Once you start doing a little research, you will start to notice that hammockers have so far come up with numerous ways to do everything and most of them are indeed going to serve you well. It’s just a matter of preference usually.

Here’s my advice if I had to narrow it down to three things.

-Pick up the phone and call, or shoot an email to one of the popular vendors you see mentioned here on the forums. You will get exactly the answers you seek and you will learn that they will even do custom work for you.

-Watch as much as you can of Shug’s tutorials on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

-Stick around here and learn you something!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast