Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ridgeline Physics

Good morning!

I'm trying to figure out the physics of the different loads that hammocks create. One of the things I'm scratching my head about is the ridgeline vs. the tree connection.

It seems pretty common to not go less than 900+ lbs on the tree suspension straps. Most around here go 1200+ based on posts I've read. But the structural ridgeline numbers are MUCH lower - some folks using as little as 200 lbs. Is it really under that much less stress?? Anybody have the math on this so I can play with some numbers?

On another note, what kind of rating would be needed on a combined structural ridgeline/tree connection line? I'm talking about a straight line between two trees, likely under a lot of horizontal tension to get it tight, then hanging the hammock from that - pretty much a clothesline setup.

Thanks much! I'm having fun tinkering with different setups and wouldn't be having the great time I am without all the fantastic input of folks in this forum!

-Curt

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    There have been a couple threads in which the suspension and ridgeline tensions have been worked out. Yes, with "commonly used" sag angles, the ridgeline is under much less tension than the suspension. Using a continuous rigeline/suspension wouldn't change the way the forces are distributed, but because the material used would have to take the higher suspension forces along its entire length, you might well end up with more weight than you need that way.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    try this experiment, have someone else lay in your hammock to weight it, attach one rope to each suspension point, where the suspension rope attaches to the fabric, like you would attach a external ridgeline over the netting, now pull them together so they meet in the middle of the hammock above the netting. cross your arms and pull, i was able to pull the ends several inches closer together this way just by hand, in a sense you are just making the hammock "taco" a bit from end to end. it doesn't take nearly as much force as you might think. here is what determines how much. the ridgeline will always be horizontal, it is the suspension lines that will vary. if the suspension lines were hanging straight down, the ridgeline would be directly perpendicular to the suspension lines and thus the less force needed to pull the ends closer together.in contrast, if the suspension lines are cranked down so they are almost completly horizontal to the ground, the ridgeline is no longer pulling anywhere close to perpendicular to the suspension line, and more force is needed to pull them in this direction.in reality, this worse case scenario seems to be hard to create, because even if the suspension lines are horizontal to the ground during setup, once weighted, they will not stay that way, and will be angled down toward the ground, so that the ridgeline is at least partially perpendicular to them, another thing i just realized 2 seconds ago.(so i may be wrong) it seems like the longer the suspension lines,the less force needed to pull the ends a fixed amount closer together, the shorter they are, the more force needed, maybe one of the math guys knows if this is true or not. hope this helps, i know all the equations on these subjects can be hard to follow, i think tangents and cosines is where i gave up on math, and i don't even try to understand the mathematical statistics side of it anymore, just makes me more confused. lol. hope this helps...Brandon

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Good morning!

I'm trying to figure out the physics of the different loads that hammocks create. One of the things I'm scratching my head about is the ridgeline vs. the tree connection.

It seems pretty common to not go less than 900+ lbs on the tree suspension straps. Most around here go 1200+ based on posts I've read. But the structural ridgeline numbers are MUCH lower - some folks using as little as 200 lbs. Is it really under that much less stress?? Anybody have the math on this so I can play with some numbers?

On another note, what kind of rating would be needed on a combined structural ridgeline/tree connection line? I'm talking about a straight line between two trees, likely under a lot of horizontal tension to get it tight, then hanging the hammock from that - pretty much a clothesline setup.

Thanks much! I'm having fun tinkering with different setups and wouldn't be having the great time I am without all the fantastic input of folks in this forum!

-Curt
    TeeDee gave the definitively analysis here. You got an equation, plug and chug those numbers to your heart's content.

I later chimed in with an anal retentive explanation of the formula, because I didn't understand where it had come from. TeeDee has a more intuitive approach to about this stuff than I do.

Grizz

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    making the hammock "taco"
    hammock taco's are a very fascinating subject for me. especially now, around lunch time. cheesy gordita crunch is a prime example of a perfect taco to eat while lounging in a blackbird xlc.

i have to agree, making the hammock "taco" is one of the finest activities I never seem to have time for.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Ughh, not the dreaded taco effect?!? (worthless marketing buzz-phrase)
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Ridgeline Physics

Danger danger danger
    I believe if you check some mathematical tables possibly in Derek Hansen’s book The Ultimate Hang. Or if you search in Hammock Forums old threads, you will find the charts and tables that show the forces on your suspension.
    Short story—as your suspension approaches a flat horizontal hang angle—spang tight—the forces in pounds are not increased arithmetically but they are increased in geometric increments.
    The danger you will face can be suspension snap and drop you to ground—or worse yet, pull tree on top of you.
    Good luck

I have an off the wall suspension and at times have pushed my luck and to hedge my bets.
    Betting on me, I’ve used 1/8 amsteel and have not had it bust yet. And so far trees have stood strong.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I use Zing it and haven't broken yet. Sometimes it is as tight as a banjo string. I don't worry about numbers. There should be a little flex in the line. I am not an engineer. Ignorance is bliss!

Images
    Are you trolling us kroma? Dang this must be one of the oldest post still on the server. Good subject. Anyway I donate something and hope you arent trolling us.

I thought this was interesting I don't know if it will help.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    So if I read the graph right, at a 30* hang angle (1/2 of 180*-120*) the pull on each tree will be equal to your weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast