Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Fair enough...

With all UL gear- you have to run a risk/reward calculation that applies to you.

In this case- you want to bring an UL hammock.
    The worst case scenario; it breaks.
    You can reduce the risk of injury by hanging low and inspecting the area under your hang. So now that you've escaped certain death, dismemberment and great bodily harm....

Now what?
    For some folks that is an unacceptable question to face, so they answer the question by bulking up the gear in question.

For some... the simple answer is that the trip is over and you bail. That's an okay answer- truthfully. In this case- with a bike- odds are decent you can peddle to a safe place. You aren't getting float planed into the wilds of Northern Canada.

Anyone who pushes things a bit with UL gear will eventually face the potential of failed gear ending the trip. If you enjoy going SUL and 95% of your trips work out... then fair trade for most.
    For some of us, the prospect of a gear failure and finding innovative ways to deal with it is part of the fun. Any setbacks are taken in stride as part of the experience. If you pushed too far, you can correct that error for the next trip.

I can't answer it for you, but;
    Can you improvise a means of sleeping, do you carry a pad, or does your backpack use a foamy that can be used in a pinch?
    Is it so cold out that you could take on too much risk, or is this a fair weather trip where you won't freeze to death if you have to ground out?

If it failed lengthwise, like my customer's hammock... do you know how to rewhip and hang what's left? A 3'6" wide hammock doesn't sound like much fun but it will work to finish the trip if you are prepared to do it and only have an UQ to keep you warm.

Basically- what is the real risk. 9/10 times the realistic risk is a bad nights sleep and ending the trip early. Again... if you can live with that do it, if not, then bring different gear.

Everyone has a different answer. Provided you take a moment to run through some realistic issues and probable outcomes... you're still going to the woods prepared with your eyes open.

I personally feel that this exercise leaves you much more prepared than the traveler who chooses not to face or risk failure.
    So long as you are not taking on unmanageable risk- go for it. If something does happen you'll remain calm and deal with it as you already have considered this outcome.
    Your mind will not panic, and the 'hardship' will be much more manageable and likely to turn into a nice tale to tell around the campfire, or another building block in your general knowledge.

The person who assumes that gear will never fail tends to be the one much more adversely affected in my experience.
    All gear fails eventually. So long as you don't fail with it; no biggie.

Especially as in real life- unless you are bringing total crap you haven't tested a few times in the yard or car camping... 90% of the time you'll have an amazing and worry free trip.

Hammock
    Sld / Sheltowee / Uk WoodsX /Cowboy
    Tarp
    Cowboy Boot Hill
    Insulation
    Loco / Ahe / Sld
    Suspension
    All On 1 inch Web
    Images
    Just bill I appreciate the food for thought & insight. This hammock from Molly Mac is actually made to go to the ground & that is where all the diy guys threw up the red flags on hf fb. Everybody talked of how delicate the ul robic is. I only set it up in bivy mode for a mock test but always hung in real world. I now own a 1.6 Trail Lair Wide & a 1.6 chameleon wide so I have great options for last minute decisions .
    So for now I’ve been spending a week sleeping in the 1.0 low to the ground .

Thanks for your reply a lot of great info & insight
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    No problem... bit of perspective is always in order.

For some, anything less than 1.6 fabric is foolishly UL.
    In some instances, I might agree with them.
    In some instances, I use .67 Membrane 10.

To me- going to ground has nothing to do with if the hammock can be dropped but-
    1- can I insulate myself
    2- can I sleep there with some comfort.

I would never lay any hammock directly on the ground. A poly cro (window seal film) sheet is under an ounce, waterproof, cheap and packs small.
    I would also argue (if weight is the goal) that your 1.0 + a ground sheet is lighter than a 1.6 and a better solution.

I do occasionally get bewildered when some hammock folks talk about going to ground like it's the moon.
    95% of outdoors users still sleep on the ground. None of them purchase a hammock as a ground sheet
    So I'm still unclear on why being able to use your hammock as a groundsheet is a valid point of concern or even a desire.
    Especially since most of those folks chewing your arse likely will do everything in their power to avoid ever sleeping on the ground at all,

Heck- they even make a heavy duty version now for ground dwellers-
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-MAX-...H42nj0fYdhdRfg

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cowboy Boot Hill
    Insulation
    Loco / Ahe / Sld
    Suspension
    All On 1 inch Web
    Images
    B092BBB6-96EC-47B2-9660-16C4700D14BC.jpg

This is the Pic that got all the negative reaction . This Molly Mac Gear hammock can be netless , then you slip in between the double layers & establish a srl & now that top layer becomes your top cover / bugnet . In a pinch it can go to the ground of course with a ground sheet or bath tub bottom for a bivy.

At the time robic 1.0 was the new kid on the block until it failures were discovered . It’s a neat hammock , I may get another made from hyper d or 1.2 robic
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    It's a double layer then?
    So both layers would have to suffer from the catastrophic and random failure you haven't yet seen in a year of use before you are forced to ground...

Sounds like a safe enough bet to me.

I'm not familiar enough with Molly Mac to say much... but overall not like he has a bad reputation by any means so I would assume construction was properly done and if you're happy... take a short walk round other's opinions and enjoy it.

Hammock
    Dutch netless Robic 1.2 xl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE Enigma 30
    Suspension
    hammock anchor
    I just decided to give Robic 1.2 xl a try for a lightweight wide hammock. A very light wide set up, with a little more load limit.

Hammock
    Robic XL 11'
    Tarp
    PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*, 20* sets
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I'm a yr and a half with the Robic 1.0 XL using it every single night and zero issues with the material
    No fear
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cowboy Boot Hill
    Insulation
    Loco / Ahe / Sld
    Suspension
    All On 1 inch Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    I'm a yr and a half with the Robic 1.0 XL using it every single night and zero issues with the material
    No fear
    Is it a single layer? Your weight ? Do use channel sewn ends or whipped?
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Robic XL 11'
    Tarp
    PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*, 20* sets
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortRound View Post
    Is it a single layer? Your weight ? Do use channel sewn ends or whipped?
    Single, 145 wet, sewn.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Quote Originally Posted by rboles View Post
    I’ve been using single layer robic 1.0 for a couple years at 220 with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I admire your bravery