DIY 11' Netless, Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down
    Suspension
    Keeps changin'

Southeast Hanging - Mid-April to early May

Just looking for some advice from you folks in the Southeast, namely North Carolina and Virginia. In mid-April I am planning on driving to Florida to see my 90 yo mother for a week or so, and on the way down and the way back take 3 or 4 days to do some backpacking/camping. On the way down I want to stop at the Linville Gorge (wooh buddy) and on the way back in the Grayson Highlands / Mount Rogers area.

My concern is temperature in those areas mid-April. I know nobody can tell me for sure what the temperatures will be, but I wanted to see if anyone could advise me on gear.

I have a 30 deg. Hammock Gear Econ Burrow TQ and 30 deg Phoenix 3/4 UQ, will bring either my DIY 11' hammock or the Dutchware Chameleon. My tarp is a DIY 12' hex tarp with no doors. I have had this setup down to the low 40's and was not cold at all, but not sure what to expect if it is likely to dip in to the 30's. Would I be smart to pick up the Winter top cover for the Chameleon? Perhaps a 2QZQ underquilt protector to protect against wind/rain? Make or get some tarp beaks?

I live in Upstate New York, but I don't tend to hike or camp in the colder weather. I'm frankly just waiting for it to be over right now....

Thanks,
    RichieMac

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    The Grayson Highlands of VA will be 20 degrees colder than places like Richmond VA really any time of the year due to the elevation. The weather in late April should hopefully be above freezing at night, but really isn't totally frost free until after Mid May. best advice is to have insulation rated to 15 degrees colder than what you need. I have stacked quilts before with good results. Also good to do is the hot nalgene water bottle trick in a cloth sack for night time warmth. Your current rig should be adequate for the time of the year you intend to travel however, barring any unforeseen cold and rainy weather.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down
    Suspension
    Keeps changin'
    Thank you, Tyroler Holzhacker! I think I'll proceed as planned with current equipment, and if an on the spot weather forecast in the Grayson Highlands looks to be particularly cold/rainy I will just go somewhere else. I'll be traveling all the way from FL to NY so plenty of spots I can hit where I won't have a problem.

Any Gorge Rats have thoughts on my equipment for the LG in mid-April?

RichieMac

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I live in Boone which is about halfway between your two locations in the NC mountains. Check the forecast just before you go, I’ve been up here for a foot of snow in late April but I’ve also seen it hit the high 70’s. The weather in the spring and fall is hard to predict and can change rapidly. Ray’s weather is a local website and probably the most reliable place to get a good forecast.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down
    Suspension
    Keeps changin'
    Thanks a lot Yosef. The tip on Ray's Weather is a really good one. Weird coincidence, I had never heard of Boone, NC until yesterday when my sister told me that my great-nephew is going to college there, then got your reply. I wouldn't say it's a small world, but it's interesting how things connect sometimes.

RichieMac

Quote Originally Posted by Yosef View Post
    I live in Boone which is about halfway between your two locations in the NC mountains. Check the forecast just before you go, I’ve been up here for a foot of snow in late April but I’ve also seen it hit the high 70’s. The weather in the spring and fall is hard to predict and can change rapidly. Ray’s weather is a local website and probably the most reliable place to get a good forecast.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    30 degree insulation should be fine but as others have said check the forecast.
    I also like to bring along some extras to help. Hand/foot warmers. Soft sided Nalgene to do the hot water bottle trick (along with extra Ziplock as backup for any leaking). Hats/gloves. I also like an UQP and full tarp as both these places can be windy but you can alleviate the need by camping in spots with more wind protection.

In addition to Rays weather, I also take a look at Mountain Forecast.
    It usually allows you to toggle between a couple elevation points.

Here’s the one for Mt Rogers in Grayson area:
    https://www.mountain-forecast.com/pe...forecasts/1000

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    And to backup what I said about the wind... here’s the forecast at 5700’ / Mt Rogers.

Lower elevation will have less wind but still windy.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    That wind chill is no joke at Graysons. Definitely bring UQP and winter tarp just to be on the safe side....That or choose lower elevations. Probably lots of private camp grounds near that area close to the AT.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I can give you a report from Cheoah Bald.

I will be there tomorrow night.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down
    Suspension
    Keeps changin'
    Thanks everybody for the great information. My trip has gotten pushed back to the first two weeks in May, so it will be mid-May by the time I get to the Grayson Highlands. I think I'll hit 2QZQ for an UQP just in case.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast