Thread: Burrow Econ

Burrow Econ

I was considering getting a Burrow Econ, but I'm not sure what degree rating for winter camping in both Florida and Virginia. I think most people get multiple quilts, but I'm trying to layer my top quilt. I currently have a 0 degree under quilt and a Military poncho liner I use in the Summer time in both locations. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    One quilt = 20

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used HG 20* quilts (Burrow and Phoenix) for a couple of years, from a low of 13* F to a high of 70* F. While they were fine at the higher temps, I felt that 13* F was a bit too cold for a 20* 3/4 underquilt. I subsequently bought an HG 0* full length Incubator and a Burrow, and now have 40* quilts as well (Phoenix & Burrow).

I personally don't subscribe to mixing and matching quilt ratings. Some folks think that, for example, you can use a 0* UQ with a 20* TQ, but I just don't see things that way. I'd rather have the top quilt and underquilt be rated the same.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

I personally don't subscribe to mixing and matching quilt ratings. Some folks think that, for example, you can use a 0* UQ with a 20* TQ, but I just don't see things that way. I'd rather have the top quilt and underquilt be rated the same.
    I just spent 3 nights in my Clark TX 250 with a Loco Libre Pepper 0° underquilt and a 40° Hammock Gear Econ topquilt. Low temp was 43°, and it worked out just fine.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    You'll be using the TQ in Florida and Virginia. While that is broad, it's not like Maine or Vermont and Puerto Rico. I still stand by the 1 quilt = 20 degree especially since you have a 0 UQ. That said, everyone is different and there truly is no "right" answer. Here's the thing though. Buy a 20 (or whatever you decide). Try it for awhile and if it doesn't work out, sell it and buy whatever you think might based on your experience. It's not like Top Quilts are a hard thing to resell.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    You'll be using the TQ in Florida and Virginia. While that is broad, it's not like Maine or Vermont and Puerto Rico. I still stand by the 1 quilt = 20 degree especially since you have a 0 UQ. That said, everyone is different and there truly is no "right" answer. Here's the thing though. Buy a 20 (or whatever you decide). Try it for awhile and if it doesn't work out, sell it and buy whatever you think might based on your experience. It's not like Top Quilts are a hard thing to resell.
    I think I'm gonna try the 20 degree TQ. Thank you all for your input.

I came home from work today to find a box on my porch, it was my Econ Top Quilt! I was so excited I unpacked everything and took a nap. Wow, these are nice and very warm quilts!

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Nice, I just ordered a 20 degree Econ incubator for my birthday, can't wait. I've been using my dyi underquilt for a couple years now which is only really good down to about 40, but I've pushed it as low as 27 before with lots of layers lol. it'll be nice not having to worry about my butt getting cold. ;<)
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts