WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/Costco Q
    Suspension
    Whoopi Sling

Feeling Indecisive WWBB UQ

I just recently acquired the WB BBXLC and I'm trying to figure out which UQ to go with. 90% of the time it will be used for backpacking so weight and pack-ability is important. I have camped fairly deep into the shoulder season where temps have gone into the 30's but I wouldn't mind taking it even colder maybe into the 20's so I know I would be possibly be looking for something in the 0-20 range. I know there is a lot of love for the wooki on here and it sounds like for good reason but it doesn't really save me any weight over my current UQ although it would be rated for colder weather. I've tried to read as much as I can on here and watched a bunch of shug's videos including his video on the wooki specifically. My biggest reservation with getting a wooki is what appears to be an inability to vent it. I know I can pull to the side but it would be nice to have a little bit of an in between measure. I haven't been able to find much in the way of videos or posts about the yeti and am wondering what people think of it. Are there some other under-quilts that work well with the BBWB that I should also be considering in addition to these two.
    Last edited by nauro; 03-13-2018 at 08:48.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Assuming the Ember 2 is your current UQ, its a mild 3 season UQ, and some would say its dubious for that. If it takes you into the 30s, that's what it is for you. But the Wooki is a totally different animal...

Seems like you're comparing what you have to the 4-season Wooki. The Wooki's weight is std for a lightweight winter UQ. What you have now is one that is heavy for a mild weather UQ, so can't really compare the two on weight. But there is a huge difference in insulation. And its insulation that is going to breathe a whole lot better than the Ember2. For me, once its in the 40s, I don't have ventilation issues, and I use a zero Incubator. I could probably get by with a 20, and I think you could with the 3-season Wooki as well, but just saying that I wouldn't worry about getting hot into the 20s with the winter version. And the winter Wooki is going to pack down better than the Ember2, the 3season even mo better. I say it that way instead of "smaller" because I don't pack my quilts into compressed balls. I put them in the bottom of my pack and let other gear sink in.

There are other quilts to consider, but the Wooki is what I would go with because its made for the BB, and I believe the longer length suits you better now. General rule, if you don't know through experience, stay conservative. Once you get more of that, you'll better understand your needs and what compromises you can truly live with.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    If price isn't a concern you might consider a 20 and a 40.

If price is a concern I'm thinking a 20 with ability to vent sounds helpful for you... Enlightened Equipment is the lightest I've seen, but their UQ design sucks and leads to cold spots. HammockGear, Simply Light Designs are both on the lighter side of the scale. I love Loco Libre and UGQ but they're typically a bit heavier.

The Wooki does seem to be the best for that hammock if you can nail your temp range, though.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/Costco Q
    Suspension
    Whoopi Sling
    Where I am getting hung up is more along the lines of full vs partial length.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I have taken the Greylock 3 (+1 oz) partial down to 13°. Its the only UQ I own. Used primarily from October-present...from 60°-13°

Here is some data on my partial Greylock 3 insulation experience.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2042197767
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nauro View Post
    Is it weight? Consider full-length vs shorter length & pad. Lots of folks take a pad anyway, but I never have really used one to sit on, so would be a definite extra for me. I've used the short UQ before and they work fine without much loss of insulation. What you might consider doing is going with a 3-season Yeti and using it in conjunction with the Ember2 as needed. What will happen, though, is that the minimal packing Yeti will obsolete your Ember2.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nauro View Post
    I've used both and a partial is fine if you have some type of supplemental insulation for your feet like a sit pad. I quit using partials due to my cold feet and the weight of a partial and supplemental typically equals out. I'm not a fan of getting cold especially when I'm tired from hiking and a chill is hard to get drive out.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    ...... For me, once its in the 40s, I don't have ventilation issues, and I use a zero Incubator.......

..... the Wooki is what I would go with because its made for the BB, and I believe the longer length suits you better now. .....
    Agree completely on these two points. I took my wooki out last may on the SHT - lows were in the 35*F - 24*F range that week. I had zero problems being too warm on the bottom. I have two other UQ - one eno vulcan and one homemade. Hate them both because of the amount of adjustments - cords all over the place, slapping around and in general, sucking at closing the gaps. I really just hate fiddling around at the end of a long hike - Wooki cuts down on setup time and middle of the night repositioning.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    I have taken the Greylock 3 (+1 oz) partial down to 13°. Its the only UQ I own. Used primarily from October-present...from 60°-13°

Here is some data on my partial Greylock 3 insulation experience.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2042197767
    When I say "I have taken" this is based on comfort level.....I don't deal in getting by. Getting by is a fail to me.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/Costco Q
    Suspension
    Whoopi Sling
    I decided to go with a 3 season wooki. I get a few ounces shaved off and 20 more degrees of flexibility in my comfort rating.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast