Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images

Question 3/4 UQs and SL hammocks - securing a CCF leg pad

Been pondering this and have tried a few things, but wanted to tap into collective brainstorming of the DIY folks here...

I'm specifically trying to come up with methods of securing a CCF-like pad (say 20"x30") for knee to feet coverage in a single layer hammock. Double layers work to keep the pad in place because the longitudinal stretch that occurs when you lay in the hammock effectively squeezes the pad between the layers. If the bottom layer wasn't included in the whipping or channel, it wouldn't work - and instead the bottom layer would just hang loose beneath the weight bearing layer. For the same reason relying on the sides of the hammock for attachment points (of a sleeve or pocket for example) is problematic (but perhaps not impossible?) because there no lateral tension from hem to hem beneath your legs - or really any part of you.

The obvious SL pad solutions include cutting the pad to size of TQ footbox and putting it in there, or having the pad be loose in the hammock underneath TQ/lower legs (which is very prone to shifting).

Guess what I'm looking for are other ideas/experiences relating to a no-fuss setup that holds the pad securely in pace, either in or beneath a SL hammock.

Thanks!
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I put mine in my TQ...never ever any condensation with that method and stays in place.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I put mine in my TQ...never ever any condensation with that method and stays in place.
    Shug
    Yup, I've had some success with that as well, although sometimes when shifting from laying on my back to my side the pad will rotate out from under my legs within the footbox. Maybe applying some silicon dots to the pad would help.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I've experienced "pad shift" too. If I ever try to tackle this problem, I would use seam grip (or similar) to attach a sleeve of fabric to the hammock, at each end of my footpad, so that I could insert each end of the pad into.

Please let me know what you try.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    I've experienced "pad shift" too. If I ever try to tackle this problem, I would use seam grip (or similar) to attach a sleeve of fabric to the hammock, at each end of my footpad, so that I could insert each end of the pad into.

Please let me know what you try.
    Oooh I like that. In your mind would pad holders or a pocket go under the hammock, or on top of the hammock?

I know there are some threads on here regarding nylon adhesives, wonder if two thin beads of the stuff around the perimeter of a half sleeve would work and still allow for longitudinal stretch. I'll dig a bit, thanks!

Edit: Here's a post from PharmaGeek's interest in adhesives.. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1841138 - looks like I may be trying some of the Pellon stuff as a starting point.
    Last edited by mrcheviot; 03-13-2018 at 19:21.

Flickr
    YouTube

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have a Warbonnet Black Bird double layer.I put reflectix in the pocket.When I use my netless Dutch hammock I put it in the footbox of top quilt like Shug does with no problem.I finally experience CBS the other night so I put the reflectix under my backside until my feet began to protest.Finally got up and dialed in the main suspension after draft collar adjustment was not the answer.After that everything was toasty for about 30 minutes until my hiking buds decided to get up early.

• + New Posts