trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket

Twisted Root Designs Double Hammock - nice kit, but nasty cheap carabiners

Heads up if anyone is considering buying a Twisted Root Design hammock.

I just received a Twisted Root Designs Double Hammock from an Amazon sale and was very pleased with the setup. I either make my own stuff or search the bins in the thrift stores for gear. This was too good a deal not to try. I like the material, a soft diamond ripstop. I also like the size, almost 11 feet long and 6 1/5 feet wide. I like the wider hammocks. Yet it all stuffs down into a smaller sack than some of my narrower hammocks. The gathered end has a very strong marine grade rope for the loop. That ain't gonna break any time soon unless I put it near the fire.

The only bad thing was the nasty old carabiners they decided to use. They're the junky hardware store steel clips, but they chose to use the ones with the screw retainer to hold the gate closed. The gate is very narrow, and the sharp edges of the cheap 'biners snag on everything, including the hammock material if you get it in the way. You could easily put yourself on the ground if you put a tear in the fabric in the wrong spot. These 'biners were different than the aluminum, wire gate carabiners shown in the description.

Amazon said it was from a third party seller and they were out of stock and couldn't be changed out. I contacted Twisted Root to let them know how they ruined a pretty nice setup by choosing this kind of 'biner, and they said that these 'biners were the UPGRADE! I'm betting that the old wire-gates had a failure or two because they weren't rated high enough, so they switched to these to be sure, but then they added a worse problem, IMO.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by tangara View Post
    Heads up if anyone is considering buying a Twisted Root Design hammock.

I just received a Twisted Root Designs Double Hammock from an Amazon sale and was very pleased with the setup. I either make my own stuff or search the bins in the thrift stores for gear. This was too good a deal not to try. I like the material, a soft diamond ripstop. I also like the size, almost 11 feet long and 6 1/5 feet wide. I like the wider hammocks. Yet it all stuffs down into a smaller sack than some of my narrower hammocks. The gathered end has a very strong marine grade rope for the loop. That ain't gonna break any time soon unless I put it near the fire.

The only bad thing was the nasty old carabiners they decided to use. They're the junky hardware store steel clips, but they chose to use the ones with the screw retainer to hold the gate closed. The gate is very narrow, and the sharp edges of the cheap 'biners snag on everything, including the hammock material if you get it in the way. You could easily put yourself on the ground if you put a tear in the fabric in the wrong spot. These 'biners were different than the aluminum, wire gate carabiners shown in the description.

Amazon said it was from a third party seller and they were out of stock and couldn't be changed out. I contacted Twisted Root to let them know how they ruined a pretty nice setup by choosing this kind of 'biner, and they said that these 'biners were the UPGRADE! I'm betting that the old wire-gates had a failure or two because they weren't rated high enough, so they switched to these to be sure, but then they added a worse problem, IMO.
    My son and I bought TRD hammocks last year. They were our first. As you said, the price was right.

I replaced the heavy route with continuous loops (knocked off some weight and makes stuffing back into the bag SO much easier).

We had the same biners and they got replaced quickly too. Those sharp edges tear up cold and wet fingers too!

We didn't even contact TRD. Figured it wasn't worth it. Even with the upgrades we did they are pretty reasonably priced for an intro setup or for lounging around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts