Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

And in a HH?

Thanks for clearing that point up Angrysparrow. I didn't know there were 2 systems.

And now for dumb question #2
    In a HH, is the ridgeline structual? Is that ridgeline spectra?
    I am guessing not...
    I have only once hung mine so tight that the RL was under tension.
    I thought I might damage it so since then have always left it a little slack.
    Do one thing every day that scares you!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugzee Malone View Post
    In a HH, is the ridgeline structual?
    Yes, it is. Note how that the ridgeline is permanently connected (knots) to the larger suspension cord, and is shorter than the fabric of the hammock itself. That means that when the suspension is loaded (strung with tautness), the ridgeline limits the stretch, so that the hammock body still has sag regardless of how tightly you pull the suspension. Thus the term 'structural ridgeline'.

Is that ridgeline spectra? I am guessing not...
    I'm not entirely sure what the HH ridge cord is made from. There has been speculation that it may be a very thin type of spectra, but I cannot confirm that. Whatever it is made from, it does seem able to carry quite a bit of force. It does have a limit, though, as has been proven by a number of people on the forum having their ridgelines snap under load.

At any rate, even if there is a failure, it's really not difficult to replace the ridgeline with a stronger spectra cord.

I have only once hung mine so tight that the RL was under tension. I thought I might damage it so since then have always left it a little slack.
    That's probably wise. If you are satisfied with the comfort of the hammock suspension when not loaded tightly, then there's no need to make it tighter.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    I guess I am at high risk of snapping my ridge line. I like to tighten the snot out of the HH when I pitch it. I use the cinch knot and reef on it. I feel like I sleep more horizontal (when sleeping skewed asymmetrically) when I tighten it. What specific line has people used and was it adequate?

Thanks,

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I broke mine after the 2nd time I used it.Operator error-grabbed it trying to reposition myself. I swapped it out very easily. there was loops at each end to thread the new line through. I added enough line to double back 1/2 way to the middle of the hammock with a loop on the ridgeline and a small biner on the piece the double back to the center. I added loops near the foot end and when I want to use the hammock as a lounger. I clip it to a loop closer to the foot end to loosen up the ridgeline. This makes the chair option of the hammock much more comfy. I have been using it this way for over 5yrs and prefer the option to adjust the tension of the ridge line. NOTE- I dont really back pack. My primary use is kayak camping or short distance backpack/scout camping. Weight is not a priority for me as it is for the LD backpacker.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    The Hennessy ridgeline is part of the hammock structure so I didn't mess with mine when I owned a Hennessy. That said, on my other hammocks I utilize a mesh pocket which clips to each end of the ridgeline using an elastic cord...this prevents over extension and stops the risk of the ridgeline pulling out the loops at either end to which it is attached.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt

Nice Idea

That's a nice idea... I'm going to make one of those.

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    That's a nice idea... I'm going to make one of those.
    Agreed! I've got some scraps that I will be making into one of these.

Late comer to this thread

The ridgeline on my HH Ultralight Asym broke after a couple of years' use. I was close to or slightly over the specified weight limit, used the tautest hang I could with the HH recommended knot system and, when it broke, I was in the hammock tugging on the ridge line to reposition myself. I figured the break was more or less my fault. I sent it back to HH and they fixed it for ten bucks plus shipping as I recall. I plan to avoid this problem in the future by losing some weight, not hanging the HH quite so tight and keeping my mitts off the ridgeline.

Down goes Frazier!

Or in this case, Jim's ridgeline.

I had just installed the cinch buckle suspension on my HH UL and really cranked on it. I've always done the same when using the stock huggers. I didn't understand at first why it seemed really tough to get into the hammock. As I tried to squeeze in, I saw the stock clips that were on the ridgeline on the ground.

I got in anyway and was squeezed like never before. Does the structural ridgeline mitigate hammock squeeze?

I was feeling pretty proud of myself, too, after my first major mod. Guess that'll teach me!

Edit for further clarification:

It looks as though the line snapped at one of the knots. Excuse my non-technical explanation, but my ridgeline appears to be in three parts: two ends that go through the whipping (and are looped through what was stock rope and was modified by me this morning thusly: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...65&postcount=4) and one piece that is knotted to both ends and runs the length of the hammock. It appears that the end is intact and it was the long piece that shredded at the knot.

My question now is this: what, in anyone's opinion, is my best option to reattach? would this be a could spot to put in a 'biner, and if so how?

Thanks in advance for the brilliant replies that are sure to follow!
    Last edited by Jim Bowie; 04-05-2008 at 12:32.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    With the failure rate of the ridge line as high as it seems shouldn't the patent read non structural ridge line and void the patent? Just an off the wall thought.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast