Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    O didn’t see any posts that seemed over the top to me. But then I’m former Army, takes a lot for me to think someone stepped out of line.

All good discussion and different perspectives from my end. Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well stated. I know what works for me and am not offended by dissenting opinions. Heck, sometimes they give me ideas that I might experiment with.

There are so few people who get out regularly in very cold weather that I applaud anyone who can safely and comfortably venture out into the hills for a few days in extreme cold.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    CM, that is pretty much how I have always done it. Or tried to do it. It is not uncommon for me to be expecting temps that at least for 1 night might go well below the rating of my quilts or bags or HHSS. But since I know I am going to need some warm clothing in order to keep warm around camp- or maybe even while hiking - I figure I can use these items(including space blankets or VBs or even pads) to boost my warmth by quite a bit. And so far, it has always worked for me.

And my all time hammock low-6F- is similar to yours. But, the amazing part is I am so far south of you, but still close to you for all time lows! Of course, in a cold year you can dwarf my cold temps. I'm not sure we have had a colder than +6F night for the 12 years since I started hanging. However, I was toasty, so I KNOW if nature would have just cooperated, I could have gone way lower before I actually got a bit cold.

Here are the layers I used on that night:
    1: Main Bottom insulation: HHSS with the usual undercover and pad and space blanket, normally good for about 32F max for me. Boosted by 3 oz of extra HH kidney/torso pads. ( I had a 20F Speer Pea Pod and a zero F JRBMW4 UQ available, but previous experience showed I could handle expected temps with ease, so no challenge)

2: main top insulation: A Golite down TQ probably good for about 3F ( wide/long that weighs about 21 oz I think, maybe only 20)

3: an added HH over cover with 6" diameter vent(no tarp)

4: clothing: VB clothing(with fuzzy stuff lining) torso to feet, replacing at least 1 thin LJ layer. Plus 1 thin top layer and 1 thick fleece jacket on top of VB and 8 oz puffy pants, all over the VB clothing. Wool socks over VB socks, plus some thick synthetic booties over the socks. JRB down hood and a neck gator.
    5: on hand, but not used: torso sized CCF pad(actually was added under thighs to heels mainly to deal with calf ridge) and other items of clothing either to wear under my TQ, or add under the other HHSS under pads.

This was very toasty top and bottom at 6F, with feet overheating and sweating. No single item was any where close to 6F in rating. But adding a few layers, and don't forget the VBs, and I was way warmer than just warm enough. I think I could have easily gone well below zero.
    Well, too late to edit, but I just noticed that I said a 20 oz TQ good to 3F. WOW, that is way warm for the weight, and Duh, no wonder I was so warm at 6F, using that with VBs and layers. But, what I meant to to type was " A Golite down TQ probably good for about 30F ( wide/long that weighs about 21 oz I think, maybe only 20)".

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213