Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    LLG,WB
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    I can't help you with your questions since I just got my XLC and Wooki on Friday, but I can only think of two people that could carry that forum nickname. One of them lives in W0C so what's up Todd? Hammocks have brought a whole new level of comfort to my SOTA activations and camping. I hope you get it figured out and can enjoy some of that Shug quality sleep!

73, pat - KI4SVM

Wookie cold spot question

Quote Originally Posted by smkymtns View Post
    I can't help you with your questions since I just got my XLC and Wooki on Friday, but I can only think of two people that could carry that forum nickname. One of them lives in W0C so what's up Todd? Hammocks have brought a whole new level of comfort to my SOTA activations and camping. I hope you get it figured out and can enjoy some of that Shug quality sleep!

73, pat - KI4SVM
    Haha, hello Pat. Yes, I have some SOTA adventures planned for this summer where not having to find a flat spot to pitch a tent will be very handy. The Cascade Mountains are steep and rugged and it’s amazingly hard to find any level earth unless you’re in a campground. No lack of trees though! Thanks for the reply.

How long have you been hammocking?

Todd, W7TAO

Whoever mentioned before about lifting your foot end I think is right. Did some messing around and when the sides were level I could replicate the issue. When I let out my head end to slide me farther into the head end of the Hammock, I could kick a knee up and was still touching the uq. That pocket is big but you have to nail your hammock angles for the largest surface area covered relative to your body. If you decide to sell yours PM me lol, seriously.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DBL, WBBB 1.7, Eno Double
    Tarp
    Noah 12', Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, JRB SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I’m not sure how this would effect calfridge but I have noticed I’m more comfortable in my xlc when the ridgeline has a little slack. I move around a fare amount without any issues with being cold in my xlc/wooki combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wing View Post
    Whoever mentioned before about lifting your foot end I think is right. Did some messing around and when the sides were level I could replicate the issue. When I let out my head end to slide me farther into the head end of the Hammock, I could kick a knee up and was still touching the uq. That pocket is big but you have to nail your hammock angles for the largest surface area covered relative to your body. If you decide to sell yours PM me lol, seriously.
    Super helpful. I will give this a try.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I let out the head end which raised the foot end and created a little more sag, to the point of the ridge line having a bit of slack. Seems like I’m breaking a rule to not have a firm ridgeline but it was more comfortable for an evening book read. I will give it a backyard overnight test on Thursday.

My 13 yr old son and I have now deemed Thursday nights as backyard camp out night until the mountains are snow free and ready for us.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SOTAgoats View Post
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions everyone. I’m not systematically cold or cold where I’m over the UQ, the issue is when I change positions and have a knee, arm or shoulder outside of the UQ lane. My question is, would this be solved with a traditional style UQ? Do they have wider coverage further up the sides of the hammock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most of mine, such as th JRBs, are wider than my hammocks.

That's righteous. Quality time with the kiddos outdoors is always a win.

I've also found with my xlc, myself using more slack than I'm used to but it works. Feel like it really lets all the wrinkles out.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Most of mine, such as th JRBs, are wider than my hammocks.
    Does a wide UQ like that make it so you can can stretch out anywhere in the hammock and be covered?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SOTAgoats View Post
    Does a wide UQ like that make it so you can can stretch out anywhere in the hammock and be covered?

Well, for me, using normal width hammocks like an HH, and certainly narrow hammocks like a Claytor, or my bridge hammock(JRB, WB, GrizBridge that I tested), I've never managed to to find a spot that wasn't covered. But maybe I don't get on as wide of a diagonal as most people. But I'm thinking with most- for sure my bridges, all of my JRB quilts rise up to or above the edge of the hammock, sometimes several inches above.
    Here is an MW3 on a Claytor, trying some experiments with different ways of adjusting(this was actually quite warm). You can see that on both the Claytor nd the bridge, the UQ edge is above or even over the hammock edge. :

Here s that same UQ from inside an occupied JRB UL bridge:

Seems to me it would be hard for me to find an uncovered spot in those as long as I was still in the hammocks. Now this is not to say that I could not- in the non-bridges at least, that something could not be adjusted poorly and gap away from some part of my body,like maybe if I shift from my back the some sort of side position. I have had that happen, but not often. Never in a bridge.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-21-2018 at 00:06.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast