Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wookie cold spot question

New at this and still getting accustomed to hanging. Still looking for my first Shug like night of sleep. Have a WBBB XLC with Wookie underquilt. I’m taking advantage of the current spring cold snap here in W. Washington to test 32 deg hanging so I’m ready for high elevation backing this summer where the night time temperatures will be the same, North cascades of Washington. I move around a lot while sleeping and I’m finding many cold wake ups through the night with a cold knee, elbow, shoulder, etc. It dawned on me that maybe this could be solved with a traditional full width UQ as opposed to the Wookie that has a narrow sleeping “lane”.

Anyone else experience this?

Also, any adjustment tips for reducing calf ridge in the XLC. Love the products, just feel like I need a few tweaks to make my experience great.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Greetings from the Peninsula. The WB Wooki does have a narrow "sleeping lane" because the WB Blackbird XLC it's designed to fit also has a very specific sweet spot. Your netted/covered XLC is designed for you to bias your weight and position toward the head end with a particular angle so that your head and shoulder are in the net pull-out area by the sewn-on tag at a precise diagonal angle that puts your feet "on target" toward the apex of the footbox triangle. You have plenty of room to move around in the XLC, but it does want your centered position to be in a place to complement the way it's shaped. I can understand your concern with the Wooki and why you might opt for a traditional underquilt; I'be found with my own XLC that narrower UQs 44" or less work better. Regarding pitching your XLC for comfort, my first recommendation would be for you to make sure your foot end is higher than your head and by approximately 12" (+/- 6"), which helps you obtain the necessary bias of position for greater comfort. My second recommendation would be for you to keep your hang angle closer to 25 degrees rather than 30, more like a bridge hammock; this is related to the idiosyncrasies of the XLC's construction, but it should make a difference in how well you sleep. HTH...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    wb/dutch/dh
    Insulation
    wooki/loco libre
    Suspension
    spider web 2.0
    You are not alone. I have also experienced consistent temperature loss during the night. I have done everything I can to adjust the no fiddle system. Currently the wookie fits me perfect I can't adjust it any better. I have the scandi wookie and with 5" of loft properly shaken and down adjusted I get that early morning chill only under my backside. Yes, I have even used an angle finder to set up my hammock it's all good. My thought and I have been meaning to ask Brandon, is to add a draft caller to the inside of the quilt along the outside baffles. The reason for this though is that one sunny day while laying in the hammock I could see through and observed places where drafts would migrate to the areas near your body. There two such places of witch this happens. One is the calf ridge seam and the other is the ridge I usually get that runs from the gathered end to just under my hip and elbow. I also use a uqp so that is not a factor. Lets figure this out!

Images
    Dang! UQs! You can't live with 'em and you can't live without 'em!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have you migrated your down?
    Checked the rubber band at end to make sure it is tight enough?
    Is the Wooki up against the hammock?
    Are you properly fueled and stoked before sleep?
    Is it on upside down or reversed?
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SOTAgoats View Post
    New at this and still getting accustomed to hanging. Still looking for my first Shug like night of sleep. Have a WBBB XLC with Wookie underquilt. I’m taking advantage of the current spring cold snap here in W. Washington to test 32 deg hanging so I’m ready for high elevation backing this summer where the night time temperatures will be the same, North cascades of Washington. I move around a lot while sleeping and I’m finding many cold wake ups through the night with a cold knee, elbow, shoulder, etc. It dawned on me that maybe this could be solved with a traditional full width UQ as opposed to the Wookie that has a narrow sleeping “lane”.

Anyone else experience this?

Also, any adjustment tips for reducing calf ridge in the XLC. Love the products, just feel like I need a few tweaks to make my experience great.

Thanks!

I offer this......
    Shug

Yeah, not peeing before bed or eating before bed will make you cold by morning no matter the quilt. Wearing too many clothes to bed will let you fall asleep toasty and wake up cold and damp.

Just strung mine up today, came in the mail this morning and I can't seem to force any cold spots by moving around. I'll do you a solid and do some more testing

Thanks for the helpful suggestions everyone. I’m not systematically cold or cold where I’m over the UQ, the issue is when I change positions and have a knee, arm or shoulder outside of the UQ lane. My question is, would this be solved with a traditional style UQ? Do they have wider coverage further up the sides of the hammock?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SOTAgoats View Post
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions everyone. I’m not systematically cold or cold where I’m over the UQ, the issue is when I change positions and have a knee, arm or shoulder outside of the UQ lane. My question is, would this be solved with a traditional style UQ? Do they have wider coverage further up the sides of the hammock?

The JRB Greylock is a wide UQ and seems to come up higher on the sides than many of my others.
    May be what you need.
    Shug

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The JRB Greylock is a wide UQ and seems to come up higher on the sides than many of my others.
    May be what you need.
    Shug

Thanks Shug! I’ll check it out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast