I’ve been camping in hammocks since I was a kid, but it’s only been over the last 5 years or so that I’ve started to get more serious about hammock gear. I used sleeping bags and CCF pads for a long time. 2 years ago, I was getting ready for a 3-day hike, and really wanted to start cutting weight and volume. I started researching UQs and discovered that they were all way out of my budget. I started to think I was just going to have to live with my setup until I stumbled across MacEntyre’s sale on the Shamu. I jumped on it, and have been extremely happy with it ever since.

My biggest concern when purchasing was the minimal thickness of the Climashield he uses in that UQ. It was thinner than my 50* sleeping bag, so I thought there was no way it could take me colder than that! MacEntyre was saying that it took him down to just below freezing, so I was eager to test that! Since then, I have spent quite a few very happy nights sleeping with that UQ. And I have come to the point of agreeing with MacEntyre on the temp, at least for me. The coldest I have used it was down to 28*. That’s where it started to break down for me. Down to 30*, it is good, as long as it is positioned correctly. I can tell almost instantly if it slips off my shoulder, or away from my feet. If is is hanging too loosely, I begin to feel CBS. As long as I take the time to position it right (true with any UQ), it works just great. Basically, if I am reasonably confident that it’s not going to get below 30*, the Shamu is what’s in my pack. It’s an excellent UQ, quality construction, and my go-to.

Along with the Shamu, I also purchased the MMG overquilt. It has been excellent! The amazing thing is that it gets me far lower than 30*! I have camped in temps down to the teens. For that, I use a thicker DIY UQ, but I still use my MMG overquilt, and it has never failed me.

I don’t see a lot of recent posts about MMG gear, so thought I’d throw out a plug!

Thanks for a great product at a good price.