DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Orrrrrr...you can be a reverse snowbird and head to the northern US or Canada to hammock camp in the summertime! Maine isn't called Vacationland for nothing!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    A bunch of us will be back in the woods come Nov. Keep an eye on the trip planning Southeast section.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cUwDtOF9W0

Get a fan, they help a LOT. Plenty of options out there. The video above has a really nice solution.

Mid-summer, 85 degrees and and 90% humidity all night long blows! We get that in MD. That means sweating and probably not sleeping great unless you have a fan.

Fan suggestion sounds good. I hadn't thought about that.

Also, I wish I could be a reverse snowbird!

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft wide netless
    Tarp
    WiseOwl 11x9
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Ult Ham Nano Weave
    I've lived in Tampa, Gainesville, Jacksonville, and now Orlando. Camping in the summer is going to be hot, so one of the best things you can do is find somewhere with a breeze.

Fort de Soto campground has some awesome waterfront sites. You can view a picture of each site on their reservation page to make sure it's got good trees. You may be the only one without a huge tent or RV, but who cares.

With a bugnet built into your hammock, you can allow the breeze to cool you unhindered from below. They'll still bite like crazy through the bottom though, so treat it with permethrin.

I find sleeping in only a pair of shorts to be the only all night option since I run hot and sweat like crazy. I've got a netless 11ft dutch, so my separate bugnet cuts the breeze from the bottom too. Nothing will be ideal when we hit the peak of summer, so I just hang inside or travel north.

Quote Originally Posted by flobro View Post
    so I just hang inside or travel north.
    Honestly this is the only right answer lol

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by PatapscoMike View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cUwDtOF9W0

Get a fan, they help a LOT. Plenty of options out there. The video above has a really nice solution.

Mid-summer, 85 degrees and and 90% humidity all night long blows! We get that in MD. That means sweating and probably not sleeping great unless you have a fan.
    Thats my video! Cant believe people are actually linking to it! Lol. It works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flobro View Post
    I've lived in Tampa, Gainesville, Jacksonville, and now Orlando. Camping in the summer is going to be hot, so one of the best things you can do is find somewhere with a breeze.

Fort de Soto campground has some awesome waterfront sites. You can view a picture of each site on their reservation page to make sure it's got good trees. You may be the only one without a huge tent or RV, but who cares.

With a bugnet built into your hammock, you can allow the breeze to cool you unhindered from below. They'll still bite like crazy through the bottom though, so treat it with permethrin.

I find sleeping in only a pair of shorts to be the only all night option since I run hot and sweat like crazy. I've got a netless 11ft dutch, so my separate bugnet cuts the breeze from the bottom too. Nothing will be ideal when we hit the peak of summer, so I just hang inside or travel north.

Thanks Flobro, I looked at Ft Desoto, but then got side tracked reasearching a post about a Florida law about not hanging things from trees. Ft desoto is beautiful and I was thinking about a beach hang.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    We have the "last gasp of summer hang" and the "No underquilt hang" so the summers are kind of brutal but we push through. I converted to the Warbonnet Ridgerunner several years ago and that's my go-to hammock. My back isn't the best either and I've found this to be the most comfortable hammock yet compared to my variety of gathered ends. It also is the most user-friendly in that I can use an underquilt, pads (double layer bottom), or even a sleeping bag isn't terrible.

I really like the double layer bottom for summer use. The two layers of fabric are thin enough for good ventilation but thick enough to keep the critters from biting through. FL mosquitoes can drill right through a single layer without much problem. A permethrin treatment will reduce that greatly but then you're laying on chemically-treated fabric (and it kind of smells).

Using a fan is more of a pain with the bridge style hammock (no ridgeline). So far I've slept out in the low 80s. I wouldn't say it was exactly "comfortable" but I did get a good night's rest.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    We have the "last gasp of summer hang" and the "No underquilt hang" so the summers are kind of brutal but we push through. I converted to the Warbonnet Ridgerunner several years ago and that's my go-to hammock. My back isn't the best either and I've found this to be the most comfortable hammock yet compared to my variety of gathered ends. It also is the most user-friendly in that I can use an underquilt, pads (double layer bottom), or even a sleeping bag isn't terrible.

I really like the double layer bottom for summer use. The two layers of fabric are thin enough for good ventilation but thick enough to keep the critters from biting through. FL mosquitoes can drill right through a single layer without much problem. A permethrin treatment will reduce that greatly but then you're laying on chemically-treated fabric (and it kind of smells).

Using a fan is more of a pain with the bridge style hammock (no ridgeline). So far I've slept out in the low 80s. I wouldn't say it was exactly "comfortable" but I did get a good night's rest.
    I was kind of thinking the same thing, that no pad on the bottom might give me a nice feel. A lot of nights it does get in to the mid 70s. I guess I won’t know until I try it, which will be soon because I pulled the trigger on the blackbird xlc double today. I figured if I was going to give it a try, i might as well get one that collective seems to like.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast