Mylar to Temporarily Bump Temperature

Has anyone had any luck with using a Mylar sheet with a pad or underquilt for when the temperature drops lower than expected?

Edit: Also, I imagine I would put it on top of my pad but still between the double layers of my hammock?
    Last edited by kendra.b; 03-22-2018 at 15:05.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Expect condensation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kendra.b View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with using a Mylar sheet with a pad or underquilt for when the temperature drops lower than expected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have used them for a decade in my HH Super Shelters(as recommended by HH). I also have put them inside my Speer Pea Pods for when the temps were below the rated 20F, or even higher to help keep the down dry on longer trips. By hanging hem beneath my hammock but above the insulation, which helps keep them warm, I mostly get zero condensation, but occasionally get a few drops at the low point. YMMV. The key is to keep this vapor barrier warm. As condensation happens when warm vapor contacts a cold surface(like your windshield for instance). I'd say mine adds 10-20º F to my HHSS, plus does a great job of keeping any condensation out of my insulation. Whatever you do, do not put it on the outside of your UQ, unless it is separated by some distance from your quilt, or your quilt will get wet from condensation. Don't do that UNLESS you also have another vapor barrier(space blanket, VB clothes or liner) on top of your under insulation, to block your body vapor from contacting that cold outer layer, where it will condense. If you only use one space blanket/VB, make sure it is between the hammock and all other insulation to keep it warm, unless you want condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have used them for a decade in my HH Super Shelters(as recommended by HH). I also have put them inside my Speer Pea Pods for when the temps were below the rated 20F, or even higher to help keep the down dry on longer trips. By hanging hem beneath my hammock but above the insulation, which helps keep them warm, I mostly get zero condensation, but occasionally get a few drops at the low point. YMMV. The key is to keep this vapor barrier warm. As condensation happens when warm vapor contacts a cold surface(like your windshield for instance). I'd say mine adds 10-20º F to my HHSS, plus does a great job of keeping any condensation out of my insulation. Whatever you do, do not put it on the outside of your UQ, unless it is separated by some distance from your quilt, or your quilt will get wet from condensation. Don't do that UNLESS you also have another vapor barrier(space blanket, VB clothes or liner) on top of your under insulation, to block your body vapor from contacting that cold outer layer, where it will condense. If you only use one space blanket/VB, make sure it is between the hammock and all other insulation to keep it warm, unless you want condensation.
    Great suggestions, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Lot of hangers I know use a piece of reflectix pad in between layers. They almost always get condensation, though, but doesn't seem to get the quilt wet.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts