Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images

Speer Bug Net/Ring Buckle Supports

I've finished sewing a Speer Hammock from one of Ed's kits and have finished attaching the velcro on the bug net. According to Ed's instructions, the bug net is supposed to be supported above the hammock by spectra that is tied to two "d-rings" each of which is to be sewn onto the polyester webbing that goes from the hammock to the tree on each side of the hammock. Since I am going to use ring buckles to hang the hammock, instead of tying the webbing directly to the hammock as Ed recommends, it doesn't seem to make sense to sew the "d-rings" onto the webbing at all. Does anyone know of a reason that I couldn't just tie the spectra bug net support line directly onto each of the ring buckles instead? Also, Ed recommends using a trucker's hitch to adjust the bug net support line. Any reason not to use one of the Figure 9s instead?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Excellent question. I'm hoping to attach the lines from my spreader bars on my jungle hammock to the rings, too. I'll be interested to hear what the experts say.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    I've finished sewing a Speer Hammock from one of Ed's kits and have finished attaching the velcro on the bug net. According to Ed's instructions, the bug net is supposed to be supported above the hammock by spectra that is tied to two "d-rings" each of which is to be sewn onto the polyester webbing that goes from the hammock to the tree on each side of the hammock. Since I am going to use ring buckles to hang the hammock, instead of tying the webbing directly to the hammock as Ed recommends, it doesn't seem to make sense to sew the "d-rings" onto the webbing at all. Does anyone know of a reason that I couldn't just tie the spectra bug net support line directly onto each of the ring buckles instead? Also, Ed recommends using a trucker's hitch to adjust the bug net support line. Any reason not to use one of the Figure 9s instead?
    Thanks,
    Michael
    I'm no expert, but I play one in the woods.
    Tying to the rings would work or you could tie to the knot directly below the rings. I dont see why the figure 9s would'nt work for the bug net support.
    I love those things.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The bugnet ridgeline is rarely adjusted once you figure out how to get your sag set each time...just set it and forget it. So while a figure-9 would work, there's really no reason to.

Or, since you're adding ring buckles, just add a structural ridgeline and use that for the bugnet ridgeline as well.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I have a Speer IIIa and my only caution would be to make sure the rings are not too high up. The bug net is pretty short once it is folded over the ridge line so the ridge line can't be too high up.. The bug net ridge line is made of spectra with some shock cord at one end. Once I set up the hammock and get in, I make one adjustment and then it is set. I would think you would not need figure 9s.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hrm...for some reason it didn't click with me that you're talking about the spectra/shockcord setup Ed uses. Duh. I've never used that setup so ignore what I said about not adjusting it and listen to the folks who have experience with it.

dsshepard - do you adjust it every time you get in?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    dsshepard - do you adjust it every time you get in?
    No, just when first I set it up. Takes into account any setup to setup variation in the distance between the trees. Keep in mind, I am a new hammocker and only have a few nights under my belt.

• + New Posts