Elightened equipment

Has anyone ever tried enlightened equipments underquilts. They seem quite light and reasonably priced. I have heard good reviews of their top quilts.

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    I hike with a guy who has one, the Revolt? The consensus is it’s really light and compressible, but rated optimistically. His is a 20 degree 850 fill, and he reports feeling chilly just below freezing.

And no draft collars on that thing!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have the 20 and 40 deg and they work for me at advertised temps. I'm 5'9" and use the 55" Revolts with a CCF leg/foot pad (3/8" Evazote).

YMMV greatly. Highly subjective topic because the number of variables is huge and UQ adjustment is something of an art. Naturally, Shug made the Best Video EVER for adjusting a shortie UQ and I found everything in it to be 'dead-bang on'
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

I've had a Revolt and returned and went with a Hammock Gear Phoenix. The problem with the Revolt was the suspension system; I could not get it dialed in. Turned out the shock cord that came with the quilt was way too short. When I got in the hammock, I thought I might be ejected like a slingshot! I called customer service and they said my hammock, a Blackbird XLC, was non-standard (really?), and they volunteered to send me a longer piece of shock cord. I said no thanks and returned the whole mess! Get the Hammock Gear.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I'm not in the norm and use the very short version, 30 degree. I have been quite pleased with it. YMMV.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I love my Revolt and think the suspension set up is great. It snugs up very easily and I don't have to reach around and adjust it all the time like I do with my HG quilt (although I think it's a quality product too and certainly would not steer you away from HG: I just like the EE better.) I do recommend buying a lower rating than you may think you'll need regardless of the brand unless you know that you're a hot sleeper. It seems like a lot of people buy a quilt and wish that they had a bit more insulation underneath them (I know I did and that's how I ended up with my current Revolt.) My basic "generic" recommendation is that if you want 30 degrees, get a 20 under quilt and 30 top quilt if you think you're a "typical" sleeper. An extra ounce or two of down is a small price to pay for the extra piece of mind and having a little too much quilt underneath me doesn't ever seem to cause any problems - I can take off the top quilt or loosen the ends to let in a bit of air if I get warm.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    For what it's worth, I am of the opinion that a quilt ought to sleep to its advertised degree rating for most sleepers who buy it. I understand and agree with having a 10 degree buffer, but that buffer is for when you bring a 20F quilt expecting the overnight low to be 30 degrees and it winds up being 20 degrees instead, NOT because you expect your 20F quilt to underperform by 10 degrees when it only gets down to 30F. A 30F rated quilt that gets too cold at 45F is just a 50F quilt with a 30F tag on it.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 03-25-2018 at 19:57.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 12ft Hyper D 1.6
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit and Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    For what it's worth, I am of the opinion that a quilt talk to sleep too its advertised degree rating for most sleepers buy it. I understand and agree with having a 10° buffer, but that buffer is when you bring a 20F quilt when you expect the overnight low to be 30 degrees and it winds up being 20 degrees, NOT because you expect your 20F quilt to underperform by 10 degrees when it only gets down to 30F. A 30F rated quilt that gets too cold at 45F is just a 50F quilt with a 30F tag on it.
    I agree with you about temp ratings.

Also, I never got my Revolt to fit my 11ft hammocks well and when I emailed customer service they told me I could add some extra shock cord if I wanted. It was not inspiring. Obvious I know, but not inspiring. So I sold my Revolt on hf to someone who loves EE gear, so it found I good home and I bought a UGQ zeppelin and love the draft collar. Liked it so much I bought a second.

I had three different EE quilts and I sold them all for different reasons. I think their style of minimal ultralight is just not my style. Nor did it ever fit me right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've heard the revolt is generously rated for temps and has cold spots. From what I understand the down migrates inside those little pockets and ends up in the corners of those little squares, thus giving you lots of cold spots underneath. I've never owned one but I considered it because it's so light, so I did a lot of research. I went with a LLG instead fwiw.

• + New Posts