Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    After what I'd like to believe is some pretty exhaustive research, I've found some options and I even compared them to a few popular options from the cottage industry. The data is in a google sheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

As far as true 11', the only one I found was the Go Camping hammock from Go! Outfitters, however, there were a few 10.5 feet options and the almost 11' Hennessy Explorer.

If limiting oneself to Amazon only, then for my needs, I think the Grand Trunk OneMade is a decent option. It's expensive for what it is, but ultra-low price wasn't one of my criteria. It's 10.5' long, and very wide at 78" The weight is reasonably low at 15.7 oz with the included carabiners (maybe switch out to continuous loops for even lower?). It uses a nice cinched end so there are lots of options for suspension and modifications. It's made of soemthign called trunktech and at this weight and stated capacity, it's clearly not parachute nylon. It's also 100% USA made, if that matters to you. The base MSRP is $119 but it's currently $83 at Amazon and is available with Prime shipping.

If you aren't limiting yourself to Amazon, which most people aren't of course, then there are better and cheaper options in the cottage industry. An apples to apples comparison might be the Dutchware 11' Netless Wide at 132x70 and 18.6 oz. At $57 it's even less expensive. Frankly thise seems like a no-brainer unless you need something fast or are limiting yourself to Amazon as I am.

For a super-inexpensive option, the Neolite Double was 126x78 (if the specs are accurate) and around 23 oz. It comes with suspension gear that probably wouldn't be acceptable to most reading this forum. It's missing a number of the details of the OneMade (cinched ends, low weight, etc.) but hey, its $20 and if the size specs are accurate, that's not too bad.

Of course, what I really "want" is the Dutchware Chameleon (wide version) or a similar Dream hammock, but I'm not sure I'm ready to make that kind of investment when the Amazon option (OneMade described above) will be, for all intents and purposes, free for me.

I hope this is useful information to somone at some point. I may update this thread along similar lines with tarp and bugnet options; maybe even underquilts.

Hammock
    Marnoc Manatoc Hammock
    Tarp
    Marnoc Mark 1
    Insulation
    Snugpak/Marnoc
    Suspension
    PYS Tree Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Nothing wrong with a cheap hammock but seriously look at the length. They fool you with cm instead of inches or feet. You'll want at least 11' or 337cm= 132 inches. There are some with integrated bug net too!!

Lots of great reviews on the chill gorilla tarps. I wouldn't buy a pack, check garage sales/craigslist for that.

If you want to get more amazon gear, and a cheap hammock elsewhere, I swear by this one. It equal to the 2t's outdoors 11 footer I have but cheaper. This is my go to hammock now.

https://www.campingsurvival.com/camp...ock-green.html
    Agreed. the one I got from amazon is just over 9'. Its comfortable enough but I will be looking at a longer hammock for sure.
    "For these things your heart shall yearn
    for these things your soul shall burn
    and in the end my friend you too shall learn
    that to these things you must return"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Dutch Dyneema Rect
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I made an all Amazon setup last year for a friend. Rallt double hammock ($20), Chill Gorilla tarp($35) and bug net($30). Modified a Kelty Bestie blanket ($20) for an underquilt. He loved it, and uses it for car camping quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, if you're willing to go with something 10' or under, then your options from Amazon go way (WAY) up; far too many to list in fact. Given my size and weight, I limited my list to those longer than 10'.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Dutch Dyneema Rect
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I use the Rallt hammock as my backyard napping hammock. At 118" x 77" I find it plenty big. I'm 6'2". About 22oz ain't bad either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    For Amazon options, I would check out the Go Outfitters hammocks. They are 11' long, and 64" wide. There are a few YouTube reviews out there as well. All in all, they seem to be very good (although not quite as lightweight as the cottage stuff).

https://www.amazon.com/GO-Outfitters...utfitters&th=1
    https://www.amazon.com/Go-Camping-Ha...=go+outfitters

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    The "best" cheap hammock I have seen on Amazon is the one below. Continuous loops, buckles, 11ft, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7RQLXO

Quote Originally Posted by tjinguy View Post
    The "best" cheap hammock I have seen on Amazon is the one below. Continuous loops, buckles, 11ft, etc.

Good find. I added that to the spreadsheet, however, I think the Neolite with very similar dimensions, weight capacity, and at $20 might be a better deal unless you need to straps that the Wildhorn Outpost you linked to provides; in which case that extra $30 might well be worth it.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by tjinguy View Post

the tree straps are 11 foot, the hammock itself is 10'8"

quibbles, to be true though

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    the tree straps are 11 foot, the hammock itself is 10'8"

quibbles, to be true though
    Yeah I saw that and decided to just leave it, as it was close enough.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast