Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Amazon Hammock Options

I'm well aware of the cottage industry for hammocks and the amazing quality available there, however, in a quirk of fate, I've ended up with a substantial credit at amazon.com that can't be spent elsewhere and not a lot of funds for a hammock setup otherwise.

I completely realize (and agree with) those who might turn up their nose at the prospect, but what if one wanted to build a decent lightweight hammock setup using only what one could purchase from amazon.com? Possible? Stupid (probably)?

I already have a top quilt (HG Burrow Econ 20) and, oddly enough, tree straps (Ultimate Hammock Straps), but I need everythign else to start hanging on this summer's backpacking and trail work trips.

My stats: 6'1", 235lbs

Any recommendations, or am I fooling myself? I'm open to a little DiY if that's what it takes, but I'm not sure I'm up for 100% from scratch.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a less expensive hammock I got on Amazon.
    There are some tarp links in the description box below video.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Nothing wrong with a cheap hammock but seriously look at the length. They fool you with cm instead of inches or feet. You'll want at least 11' or 337cm= 132 inches. There are some with integrated bug net too!!

Lots of great reviews on the chill gorilla tarps. I wouldn't buy a pack, check garage sales/craigslist for that.

If you want to get more amazon gear, and a cheap hammock elsewhere, I swear by this one. It equal to the 2t's outdoors 11 footer I have but cheaper. This is my go to hammock now.

https://www.campingsurvival.com/camp...ock-green.html
    Last edited by XJ35S; 03-23-2018 at 09:05.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Nothing wrong with a cheap hammock but seriously look at the length.
    +1. Even reputable companies like Grand Trunk sort of lie. The single parachute hammock I've had for years - I always thought I was using a 10.5' hammock until I laid it flat with another 10' hammock and found them EXACTLY the same size. So it was a 10', not 10.5. They measure the included suspension which doesn't count at all.

Hammock
    DangerBird #4284
    Tarp
    CG Hex | HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Strap
    I used a single ENO setup (single nest, guardian, atlas strap, ember, spark, housefly) for several years before going the cottage route and was pleased with how it slept, even with me being 6'3"/210. You can find all of the ENO gear on Amazon. Another name on Amazon is Bear Butt. My brother-in-law has some of this gear and it seems decent. Chill Gorilla is a newcomer on Amazon as well that looks to be a viable option. I am actually trying one of their tarps this weekend.

I've also noticed DD Hammocks has some gear on Amazon. I use their stand and wouldn't be afraid to use any of their other gear as well. They are a cottage vender from the UK.

As long as you are honest with your expectations of Amazon gear, I believe you can have a usable setup. It would be comparable to buying a Kia instead of a Lexus... both will safely get the job done; one just does it with more class and grace.
    Last edited by 87warrior; 03-23-2018 at 09:18.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Amazon Hammock Options

It's not exactly keeping with the spirit of this thread, but I bought my first hammock used on Amazon... a Hennessy Ultralight Explorer Asym Classic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour and 5 replies! You guys are awesome! I hope to get a few more ideas, but there's already plenty here to start with. Thank you!! I've been a lurker here for some time gathering information. Guess it's time to actually dive in!

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I can’t speak to the quality, but GoRosm offers a complete kit on Amazon for $99 that includes a hammock with integrated bug net, suspension, 12’ tarp, stakes and guy lines.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071V466VH..._6ksTAb42B9JHK
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Just to be clear, I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest option; just limited to what amazon has to offer.

theultimagehang.com did a review of Grand Trunk's OneMade that was reasonably favorable. It's fairly light. Unfortunately, while Grand Trunk has a number of other items readily available on the Amazon, the only OneMade I found was this one in Camo; not that that's necessily a deal breaker. No bug net, but seems wide and long enough for an asymetrical lay. I could build or buy a fronkey style bug net (saw an awesome youtube video yesterday on building one pretty easily; I dont' mind a little sewing).

Hammock
    Dutch netless Robic 1.2 xl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE Enigma 30
    Suspension
    hammock anchor
    +1 on pay attention to length. Most of the hammocks on Amazon are short. FYI, for the el cheapo kid backyard hammock, its hard to beat the CutieQueen hammocks, if you can get over the name.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast