Tarp
    Palace for One
    Insulation
    Let the Wookie Win
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images

Katadyn BeFree System

Used this system last season and just wasn't happy with it. It started off strong but I don't think it likes the areas I backpack in. Discussion amongts others suggested the high tannins in our water here in the north woods was contributing to slow down. Or maybe it's just too many beaver bogs. In any case I'm just going to stay with my tried and true Sawyer Squeeze system. So I thought I'd offer it up free here to anyone that wanted to give it a shot. The filter in the original Katadyn bladder is the first I used and was running slow despite my efforts to shake / swish it clean. The backup filter that is not attached I only used on one three day trip into the Sylvania Wilderness. It was still flowing strong. The larger bladder is the Hydrapak 2L Seeker. I can ship from work so I'll send to anyone in the lower U.S. 48. If you're outside that area feel free to say I'll take it but you'll have to toss me a few bucks for shipping.

Thanks and may the snow melt be with you......

Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DIY Hex70XL
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Incubatr/Fl.Jacket
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Used this system last season and just wasn't happy with it. It started off strong but I don't think it likes the areas I backpack in. Discussion amongts others suggested the high tannins in our water here in the north woods was contributing to slow down. Or maybe it's just too many beaver bogs. In any case I'm just going to stay with my tried and true Sawyer Squeeze system. So I thought I'd offer it up free here to anyone that wanted to give it a shot. The filter in the original Katadyn bladder is the first I used and was running slow despite my efforts to shake / swish it clean. The backup filter that is not attached I only used on one three day trip into the Sylvania Wilderness. It was still flowing strong. The larger bladder is the Hydrapak 2L Seeker. I can ship from work so I'll send to anyone in the lower U.S. 48. If you're outside that area feel free to say I'll take it but you'll have to toss me a few bucks for shipping.

Thanks and may the snow melt be with you......

I've heard good things... I'll give it a try. I'll take it.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WB BB O.G.
    Tarp
    Palace for One
    Insulation
    Let the Wookie Win
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Right on, I'll PM you
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Used this system last season and just wasn't happy with it. It started off strong but I don't think it likes the areas I backpack in. Discussion amongts others suggested the high tannins in our water here in the north woods was contributing to slow down. Or maybe it's just too many beaver bogs. ......
    Hmmm.............. Took both of mine to BWCA and they haven't worked right since. I also went back to Sawyer squeeze

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    If for whatever reason it doesn't work out, I'd love to give it a try. Thanks for offering it up regardless!
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I spent a few days last week researching between the Saywer and and the Katadyn and was nervous about the some of the reported failures with the Katadyn. Lots of "success" stories with fast flow rates initially, but lots of slow downs reported, and a few cases of zero-flow. I read one post where someone was bought both (the Sawyer as the backup) and I thought that I'd rather deal with the slightly slower flow rates with the Sawyer to have the piece of mind that it will work rather than taking a small chance of being SOL on safe drinking water....

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I found that both my BeFree and my Squeeze slowed down to just about no flow after I let it dry out for 2+ months. The squeeze never came back to normal but the BeFree did. I kind of wonder if some of the reports are due to an issue like that.

To fix the BeFree I soaked it in hot water for a few hours then pushed a bunch of it through.

Hammock
    WB BB O.G.
    Tarp
    Palace for One
    Insulation
    Let the Wookie Win
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    I found that both my BeFree and my Squeeze slowed down to just about no flow after I let it dry out for 2+ months. The squeeze never came back to normal but the BeFree did. I kind of wonder if some of the reports are due to an issue like that.

To fix the BeFree I soaked it in hot water for a few hours then pushed a bunch of it through.
    I've heard that as well but I do a lot of backpacking over the season which is when it slowed down. So it was dry for no more than two weeks at most and I would always run a liter of tap water (good well water) through it before I headed out.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That's nice of you to hand it off. I just got a new one but I have very little hope my experience will change this time around. I love it when it works, but water filtration is something you don't want to gamble with so I'll probably just go back to my gravity filter. I'll take this along as well to test since it's small and light enough.

Hammock
    WB BB O.G.
    Tarp
    Palace for One
    Insulation
    Let the Wookie Win
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    That's nice of you to hand it off. I just got a new one but I have very little hope my experience will change this time around. I love it when it works, but water filtration is something you don't want to gamble with so I'll probably just go back to my gravity filter. I'll take this along as well to test since it's small and light enough.
    Aye, light and at least it's only $25 for a stand alone filter so that's why I just picked up a second towards the end of the season so I could give it a shot and have two to compare and contrast. Same for me, since I had my sawyer already set up in gravity mode might was well suck up the slightly slower but consistent flow rate and enjoy the scenery while it fills. At least its hands free so I can enjoy a snack while I relax.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast