GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargan View Post
    Currently using ring buckle system with HH hyperlite. Changing it to Blackbird xlc , so I figured I'd change suspensions too. It looks like whoopies will give me more flexibility and maybe less weight/bulk than ring buckle. Plus they look **** cool.

Do you guys prefer Whoopie hooks or Dutch biners? Something else? Why?

How do you hook it up to the webbing? Do you just use a hitch knot to a webbing loop? Marlin Spike Toggle? Some kind of buckles? Something else? And Why?
    I use whoopies and a Marlin spike with the whoopies larks headed to the ball of my hammock. My hammock stuff sack has a dedicated pocket for wet whoopies (which hardly ever get wet). Bonus is the hammock stuff sack doubles as a ridgeline organizer. Short video is below. I like this set up a lot:

https://youtu.be/cJoTyH5hhjI

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I’ve been using the standard straps with whoopies, and I liked it for adjustability, but hated having 3 components to keep track of: strap, whoopie, toggle.

So I just ordered all the parts to add Beetle Buckles to my straps and got huggers for my whoopies in an effort to decide which I like better. The poly/Dynema straps with Buckles actually come in a bit lighter than the poly/Dynema huggers with whoopies. But for me, the Buckles just seem to take a bit more effort to adjust, especially with a hammock that already had quilts. The whoopies seem easier to adjust for me. Also, I’m using Dutch Beeners to attach the whoopies to my CL’s. I haven’t done any field testing yet, but it just seems like the beeners provide a better water break than the beetle Buckles.

Just my $.02. Happy hanging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    I agree with Humneso about a strap system having better reliability and convenience.

I actually found the versatility lacking, mostly because the slings have a minimum amount of distanceA strap and buckle system is dead simple and

you don't have to worry about that. High weight rating too.
    Sorry I misspoke.

The most important factors are weight&bulk > versatility > reliability > convenience

Cinch buckles are an interesting option. I will consider that.

This brings up a point I haven't considered. I didn't realize the whoopies have a minimum distance. What do you guys do in that case? Hook one of the continuous loops directly to the strap? Are there other mods or workarounds to this?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Because I use Dutch Biners to connect my whoopies to my continuous loops, I can just remove them and tie a Becket hitch to my continuous loops with the webbing- if the tree distance is too short.

FWIW, I have never encountered a situation where I couldn't find trees at least 13' apart.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123