Hammock Backpack

Alright, so some of you might think this is really dumb, but it has recently really apealed to me to have a backpack that could easily and quickly turn into a hammock. So, last night I went ahead and made something that would suffice. I spent only about 30mins making it b/c it was getting late and what not, but it is functional, albeit pretty akward looking. Here are the pictures:

The Hammock itself (it's pretty short to reduce bulk, and I was only planning on using it for lounging on day hikes anyway):

And here it is as a backpack. I decided to make it one of those one strap diagonal jobs because it accomodated the shape of the hammock real well. But, as you can see, it looks more like I'm carrying a garbage bag on my back.

It is suprisingly comfortable, even with a fair amount of weight in it, but it does look a little rediculous. It closes with a drawstring (which becomes the strap across my chest), and a length of velcro. This creates the potential for a large amount of space and a pretty secure closure.

The hammock itself is really comfortable, so I'd really like to use it for my day hikes, but I don't want to look like a dude with a garbage bag on his back. Any ideas on how I could turn this thing into a better looking model of a pack?

Cheers!

Images
    talk to cedar tree. he's the guy that invented "the packa" a poncho pack cover combo. he did make a backpack/hammock too. his was more pack and less hammock, while yours is the other way around. send him a private message, bet he can get you some pics and give you ideas.

are those yates "rabbit runners" holding your hammock?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i saw the other hammock/pack combo a while back.
    one thing that mite concern me would be having the hammock exposed to limbs that could snag, but for simple day hikes, that may not be a real concern.
    you could end up w/ a pretty light weight set up for day hikes that way.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I think it is a good start. I was thinking of making a messenger type bag for hiking. I use a messenger bag for commuting on my bike, and I thought it might work alright. However, I found packing the bag awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i saw the other hammock/pack combo a while back.
    one thing that mite concern me would be having the hammock exposed to limbs that could snag, but for simple day hikes, that may not be a real concern.
    you could end up w/ a pretty light weight set up for day hikes that way.
    +agree

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    talk to cedar tree. he's the guy that invented "the packa" a poncho pack cover combo. he did make a backpack/hammock too. his was more pack and less hammock, while yours is the other way around. send him a private message, bet he can get you some pics and give you ideas.

are those yates "rabbit runners" holding your hammock?

Thanks, I'll give him a PM.

The runners holding up the hammock are just scrap pieces of webbing I had around. They were originally from Metolius.

• + New Posts