Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ quilts

I forgot about top insulation for tomorrow.

I am car camping with my kids and the temp has dropped to a low of 41. I have one 25 degree bag, an unrated Coleman bag and that’s it. Weight is not an issue as we aren’t hiking. I was so wrapped up in finishing the underquilts I completely forgot about top quilts. I could technically make a top quilt out of my 3.5 oz Climashield if I have to. I’ve looked on FB marketplace and sent out a bat call, any other ideas? I don’t want to spend a bunch on something that won’t transfer to backpacking.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    - layer on extra blankets
    - buy a couple of hand warmers
    - make sure have your head covered when you sleep
    - extra buffs/scarfs around your neck
    - wear gloves/mittens
    - hot water in a Nalgene bottle - placed between your legs or armpits
    - beef up UQ and you need less on top - closed cell foam pads
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Images
    2 twin size blankets folded in half (and maybe pinned along the open edges with large safety pins) should be plenty for each person at that temp. Do the kids use comforters on their beds? Those would work too. Just get 'em out with what you've got and upgrade later.

For the kids any kinda of fleece throw you have should work great. that is what my 12 old uses in the yard.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    - layer on extra blankets
    - buy a couple of hand warmers
    - make sure have your head covered when you sleep
    - extra buffs/scarfs around your neck
    - wear gloves/mittens
    - hot water in a Nalgene bottle - placed between your legs or armpits
    - beef up UQ and you need less on top - closed cell foam pads
    Sure, all of that. Just layer what is handy over all of your warm clothes. On the last night of a trip to the Olympic NP years ago, using my HHSS for bottom insulation, I experimented by sleeping in only the warm clothes I had with me. Which included a very light weight ( ~ 12 oz ) Polarguard hooded jacket. I had my Cat' Meow 20F bag inside the hammock with me, in it's stuff sack, ready for immediate deployment. I was fine until I got woke up about 0700 by my buds breaking camp. this was in a very humid hi 40s. I figured if it had been a few degrees colder, or if it had been a couple of more hours until day break, I would have gotten into the bag/quilt. ( or if I could have just layered more clothing if I had them) But as it was, I was just almost warm enough even until get up time, just fine most of the night. Pay special attention to keeping your head warm! Hoods work better than hats for me, the thicker the better.

But would you really like to kick it in the butt? Do you have any NON breathable rain gear around the house? ( or heck, even so called breathable rain gear will still help) Try this trick for a big boost: Wear your usual next to skin layer, hopefully the thin as possible Merino wool or polyester long Johns, and thin socks. Put your rain gear over this, and bread sacks over your thin socks. Put all of your other available thick insulation and a loose pair of wool socks over those vapor barriers. If you have a couple of thick non cotton clothing layers over that and a really warm hat, I bet you will laugh at those 40 ish temps. Don't worry if you feel a little damp, really, it is not a problem as far as your warmth goes, and those VBs will keep all that body moisture out of your insulation. Or, if all of that is just too freaky, you could just have it handy and not put it on until you actually get cold. Bottom line: you should be able to beat this last minute problem by enough layering! Good luck! ( EDIT: whatever you do, DO NOT put any vapor barriers OVER any insulation layers except for the thin sacrificed layer next to skin, which is there just to decrease any discomfort a VB next to your skin might cause, but not really mandatory. If you put a VB over your insulation- unless of course you also have one next to your skin- you will probably wake up with wet insulation and cold. But if you have a VB next to all skin layers, it doesn't really matter much what you use for the outside layers as far as breathable goes. But if you don't have a close to skin VB, having breathable outer layers is VERY important)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-06-2018 at 13:20.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you are car camping is there electricity at the site. Last year we car camped an I took an electric blanket because I lent my two top quilts out. They were instant converts to down quilts and the blanket worked really well.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ quilts
    Thank you all. A friend is lending us 2 -20 degree bags so we are covered for this weekend. Have to figure out what we will use after this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts