Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

ENO Blaze underquilt

Anyone have experience with the Blaze underquilt from Eagles Nest Outfitters? I believe it's over 6', which is plenty long. Is the shell ok for water repellent and is it good for temps down to the low 30s? Thanks

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Decent enough if that's what you want. ENO says it's rated between 30-40 degrees, and the cost is $299. For much less money, and quality customer service, you can get a 20 degree UQ from a cottage vendor! I'd recommend Wilderness Logics, UGQ Outdoors, and Loco Libre. Also great gear from Arrowhead Equipment, Hammock Gear, Little Shop of Hammocks, and Jacks R Better. Jacks have their Mount Washington 3 UQ for sale right now!!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Derek seems to like the Blaze.

I'm with Peppy, though: Hammock Gear, Loco Libre Gear, Warbonnet, Enlightened Equipment, UGQ, Wilderness Logics, Arrowhead Equipment or Jacks'R'Better all make underquilts with higher quality down that are warmer or cheaper. Over the years I have bought and used a lot of gear from all kinds of manufacturers, but so far the gear bought from the cottage companies has easily outperformed that from the big brands.

If you can get the Blaze for under $200, and don't mind the weight-to-warmth ratio, go for it. Otherwise I'd say save your money and order something from the cottage companies.

And no, I don't consider this ENO bashing. If ENO would make an underquilt that would be comparable to the high-end quilts for a similar price - OR the price would reflect the actual quality, I would recommend them and even buy one myself.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Decent enough if that's what you want. ENO says it's rated between 30-40 degrees, and the cost is $299. For much less money, and quality customer service, you can get a 20 degree UQ from a cottage vendor! I'd recommend Wilderness Logics, UGQ Outdoors, and Loco Libre. Also great gear from Arrowhead Equipment, Hammock Gear, Little Shop of Hammocks, and Jacks R Better. Jacks have their Mount Washington 3 UQ for sale right now!!
    I paid $268 for my HG Incubator 20 with 1oz overstuff and that was with shipping. for $299 you could get the HG incubator 0. for $199 you could get the HG Econ incubator 0
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally wouldn't go near an ENO since there are so many better quilts available from our cottage vendors. Better value, better quality, better service.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have an ENO Vulcan - had to stay north of the temp rating by about 20 * for my comfort. I agree with the rest - go for a UQ from the mentioned places - much better IMHO. I love my 0* Wookiee and 20* lynx ( both built for my specific hammocks). If your still interested in ENO - my Vulcan might show up on the forsale page

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Thanks for the input guys.

• + New Posts