DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I don't think it should be about asking the same stuff over and over...but where it is asked/discussed/updated/etc

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Is there a hammock wiki? If not, why?

There is an abundance of really good ideas on these forums. These ideas tend to get buried by time, however. This leads to people reinventing wheels.

If all of these good ideas could be sorted and cataloged, it would make it more accessible for research and additions. I want to be able to see all of Kitsap Cowboy's tarp designs in one place ;-)

Thoughts?
    Have you tried to search on sites like wikipedia, wikihow or some other wiki sites? Hammock definitely would have a wiki even there could be many just try to search on google.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbelly View Post
    Have you tried to search on sites like wikipedia, wikihow or some other wiki sites? Hammock definitely would have a wiki even there could be many just try to search on google.
    Sorry, I wasn't asking for a wiki page about hammocks, I was suggesting a dedicated hammockforums.net wiki for all things hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't asking for a wiki page about hammocks, I was suggesting a dedicated hammockforums.net wiki for all things hammock.
    Ohh alright I don't think so Admins are going to create a separate forums wiki coz you as you there are different boards and you can find whatever you want to know in the respective board so I don't think so there is need for a separate wiki but yeah wiki could be quite effective for newbies like me to find each and everything on a single place lets see if there is any chance.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Can't go wrong with Google search. It drives me crazy when I see a new thread started on a subject or question that has been answered and discussed many times before. Speaking of search: I encourage using the metatag feature when new posts are started. It makes the search more effective.

I'll just stop right there.....
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    That's true. But it's a gray area. We don't want all searches and few replies. At the same time, we don't want a new thread every time someone has an underquilt issue, or tarp suggestion. By skipping those existing threads you could me missing valuable feedback from the vendors themselves, ideas from oldschool experienced users that are no longer here, and the possibility of overall better quality and quantity feedback in general.
    Everytime I see a post saying "heah newbie go look it up or or search is your friend."
    I quickly move that post to the holding area and hope no one else read it.

This forum is all about getting new hangers up to speed with the best gear and techniques.

It is pretty easy for the old timers to read a thread title and deside if it looks like a repeat question so...... just don't open it. It is as easy as that.
    This forum is not an Encyclopedia it's a discussion group where all things hammocks are discussed daily.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 04-29-2018 at 21:09.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I understand wanting to refine and define all this abundance of data, but that is a TALL order to ask of someone who is already busy with so many other things already, such as the staff running things here at the moment. No reason it can't be done by an independent group though…

In the meantime, you could get your fix by reading some great books on the subject. Ask for suggestions on the forum, because they do indeed already exist.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbelly View Post
    Ohh alright I don't think so Admins are going to create a separate forums wiki coz you as you there are different boards and you can find whatever you want to know in the respective board so I don't think so there is need for a separate wiki but yeah wiki could be quite effective for newbies like me to find each and everything on a single place lets see if there is any chance.
    Actually, at one time we did have a Wiki site. We had to removed it because the site got hacked. It was hard to keep up with a Wiki site.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Actually, at one time we did have a Wiki site. We had to removed it because the site got hacked. It was hard to keep up with a Wiki site.
    Was the wiki setup so only "donating members" could edit it?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    Was the wiki setup so only "donating members" could edit it?
    Wiki would not work in conjunction with the Hammock Forums software. That means we could not set it up for only Donating Members to Edit it.
    We had to install Wiki by itself, as a stand lone program.
    It has been a long time since we had Wiki installed but I believe, when you did have it installed that you can set it up two ways.
    Only certain assign people could post and edit it or every one could post and edit it.
    We had it set up so everyone could post and edit it. The reason we did this was because we did not have any moderators or administrators that could devote the time helping run the HF web site and a Wiki site.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    As a Noob here, I'd say the issue isn't that I don't know how to search. It is

a) when I don't know what I don't know, then how do I search for it?
    b) it quickly becomes clear that this site has a ton of helpful posters and many useful threads. The only downside to that is some threads have strong beginnings, but also get very long with good ideas, suggestions, questions and answers. It is kind of hard to find the best nuggets in the addenda.

Nevertheless I put together a Turtledog stand last week, and I returned the hammock I bought at REI and I'm sleeping on a Dutchware hammock on a Turtledog in my basement with a quilt that I already owned that I converted to an underquilt with some shock cord, and none of those three things likely would have happened without this forum, even as it is without a wiki.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast