Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KY > Red River Gorge camping questions

Couple of quick questions for those of you familiar with the Red River Gorge--

1) I know I need a 3-day camping pass. Are there any offices that will let me pay for one ahead of time and have them mail it to me?

2) Do I need anything other than the 3-day pass to camp dispersed?

3) With Tunnel Ridge Road still closed for repair, what entry points (and hikes!) do you suggest? Will probably arrive around midnight on a Thursday night and need immediate primitive camping, as my car's too small to sleep in, and will have all day Friday and all day Saturday to hike.

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    Hey there!

This link (below) will answer some of your questions, and contact info for a overnight permit for camping. Look on the right side of the website under alerts and warnings for road closures and fire regs. If you get off the Mt parkway at the slade/natural bridge exit there is a Shell gas station that sells permits 'after hours'. I don't know how late they stay open...the Rangers office (Cumberland District) may mail you a permit if you call...I have never tried as I buy an annual pass for $30 because I go so frequently. All you need is the pass, keep camped 300ft from roads and official trails and you should be fine. First night if you want to car camp follow the loop around to Indian Creek road(s) 9a and 9b, near the iron bridge across the Red River and there are pull-offs along the creek right by the road that will work in a pinch if its not busy. As far as hikes go, it all depends on what your looking for. Vistas to see or tranquil streams and valleys to explore. Follow Rock Bridge road back to its end and take the loop hike for Rock Bridge, follow Swift Camp Creek Trail for an out and back as far as you want to go. Shady and usually a beautiful hike along a stream with sites above the trail and along the creek to camp. You could pick up the main loop trail (Rough trail #221) off of Chimney Top road or at Martin's Fork parking lot and do a loop hike. Be advised, Rough trail is probably the busiest trail in the gorge...if your looking for solitude you wont find it there unless its on a rainy weekend. Enjoy and don't forget your camera!

https://www.fs.usda.gov/dbnf/

Thanks for the tips! Based on other posts here in the forums I was hoping to hit the Auxier area, but I can't see an easy way to get from the parking lot at Martin's Fork over to the Auxier parking lot without either walking along 77, or scrambling over a couple rock faces on an unauthorized trail -- not something I want to do as a first-timer and a solo hiker. I could park at Grey's Arch, but that'd mean a 4-mile hike on a gravel road just to get to the Auxier trailhead. Unless there's another way in to the Auxier trails that I can't see on the map, I think I'll take your suggestion and hit up the Swift Creek area.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    There is a way up from Martin's Fork parking lot but if wet is too risky solo. You really need some rope in a couple of places...If your interested in that route check YouTube for a channel called redriver underground and search for the daniel boone byway video. You can get a feel for the hike from that. Its obviously unofficial trail! Otherwise, on the Nada side of the tunnel there are places to park and you can hike up to Tunnel Ridge Road from either side of the tunnel if your set on going out to Auxier Ridge. Or, you could park up Indian Creek and hike back to and wade across the Red River (could be high this time of year) and work your way up near Courthouse Rock. That is totally doable in Summer when the water is down. Maybe someday there will be a trail from the base of Raven Rock over to Courthouse Rock....maybe.

Swift Camp Creek won't let you down either... you can come in from 715 on Wildcat or Swift Camp Creek trails if you rather not park at Rock Bridge. But Rock Bridge and creation falls are a must see in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by KYHiker View Post
    There is a way up from Martin's Fork parking lot but if wet is too risky solo. You really need some rope in a couple of places...If your interested in that route check YouTube for a channel called redriver underground and search for the daniel boone byway video. You can get a feel for the hike from that. Its obviously unofficial trail!
    Yeah, I found that, and after watching decided I'd be setting myself up for disaster if the day turned out to be anything but bone-dry. The last thing I want to do is end up with a broken leg on an unofficial trail all by myself in April weather with no cell signal.

I'll see what the weekend looks like -- maybe I'll scout the hike over Nada Tunnel for the next trip. Either way, thanks so much for the tips! Much appreciated.

Hammock
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    No problem, if the weather is nice it WILL be crowded on the weekends!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    There are so many options at the gorge.

When Tunnel Ridge Rd is closed I tend move to Bison Way trailhead and hit Indian Staircase, Indian Arch, Hanson's Point, Veranda, Greys Arch, etc.; Douglas trailhead and hit Copperas Creek/Falls, Eagles Buttress, Moonshiners Arch, etc.; (concrete bridge) or Koomer Ridge Campground still do Hanson's Point, Veranda, Greys Arch, Hidden Arch, Silvermine Arch, etc.

To get to Auxier Ridge (easily) you named to the 2 ways I know - Martins Fork or park at/near start of Tunnel Ridge Rd. (it's usually open at the start).

Thanks for the tips! Here's hoping the weather cooperates... my rig's only good to about 30F.

Just wanted to say thanks a bunch to everybody for their tips. I ended up eating dinner and camping at Miguel's the first night (they took pity on me because it was 10pm, cold and rainy and TRR was closed at 15, with no entrance to the Gray's Arch area like I'd hoped, and I was afraid I'd slip and break my neck trying to set up camp).

I entered at Martin's Fork, did the Rough Trail loop down to Koomer and back. Met a kind solo hiker from Kentucky and we hiked together for a couple hours, then shook hands and went our separate ways. That night I camped out on one of the pullout campgrounds halfway down TRR -- had the entire place to myself. The next morning I got up and did all the Auxier trails, which were magnificent, then camped at a different TRR pullout. The last morning I got up early, hiked back out to Martin's Fork, then drove all the way around the 715 loop to get an idea of the other trailheads.

I had such a great time that I can't wait to go back and explore Swift Camp Creek. If it's anywhere near as beautiful as Rough or Auxier, I know it'll be worth it.

IMG_3599.jpg IMG_3604.jpg IMG_3636.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg IMG_3664.jpg IMG_3669.jpg
    Last edited by Rocket; 05-14-2018 at 22:56.

Hammock
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    I just got back from a long weekend at the RRG. Man it was HOT! Glad you had a good experience. Looks like you got some good mileage in. I see you found some Spring flowers to admire, they were still blooming for me too. By looking at your pictures I am assuming you missed Star Gap Arch, its a hidden gem on an unofficial trail off the road/trail to/from Double Arch. I bet Tunnel Ridge Road was quite empty other than around the Gray's Arch Picnic area. News I heard, by the end of June Tunnel Ridge Road road work will be done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast