Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Threejsrocketry View Post
    Hello, looking for some advice. I want to get a top quilt to use for May through September in Minnesota. I have a WBBB XLC and a three season Wookie. During early spring or late fall, I have been using a 20* bag for a top quilt. I plan on replacing it with a 0* or 20* top quilt when funds become available. I keep looking for a good deal on a used one here, but have had no luck for the right combination as of yet. I have my first backpacking trip planned for the middle of June on the SHT and time is running out to order. I have eyeing the UGQ Bandit and with the prices now, it looks like a no-brainer. I just am unsure about what is the best temp to get. Thanks for the advice in advance.
    I'm in MN too, and I went with a 40° HG Econ and a 20° HG Econ. I was up by Finland last month and it dropped to about 10° over night - I was very warm stacking the two quilts with a 0° Wookie under me in a WBBBXLC. I feel these two TQ will "cover" all the types of hanging I will do - mostly fall and spring, some summer and some winter.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I think it takes a number of quilt "sets" to allow you to dial in your quilts for a given hike at a given temp. I do agree that you should plan on having quilts rated for at least 10 degrees lower than the anticipated low for a trip. Think of the whole system and consider socks, hats, and base layer in the equation. Another thought is to check the historical average high and lows for the areas you frequent the most. You can plan which quilt sets to get that'll cover the majority of temp ranges you're likely to encounter. Finally, an under quilt protector can not only help with rain splash but it can also keep the wind from robbing heat from an under quilt and help you get the most out of your UQ. For me, weight is a big consideration but at the end of the day, I don't want to be cold! My advise is to lean to the warmer side of things, especially if you can only have one or just a few sets!
    Gideon
    Great advice. Even with all my quilts, I still feel like there are some missing pieces. It may sound silly to get a 30° TQ since I have a 20+1 and a 40+1, but those two are worlds apart. I am OK pushing the 20 a bit, but that 40° stops right at 40. Maybe the argon 67 lets more moisture in? Everything else I have is argon 90. Or it could just be the kind of weather I see when taking the 40 (warmer days, damp, dew by morning).

I feel like a 30° TQ would be very useful since I see lows in the mid-30s so often. The 20° obviously works, but that's a lot more bulk to carry especially when the lows go something like 35, 45, 50 on a 3-nighter. But it depends on temps you hike in. 50° lows usually mean 65-75° days, which is approaching the upper limit of when I want to be out anyway. So I just don't use the 40° TQ much.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12