Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Optimal range of quilt sets.

For those of you who are long term quilts only users; what do you consider to be the optimal set of quilts. You may not have them all or maybe you do. You may have experimented to get where you are and the search for the perfect lineup may have influenced your pack selections as well. I realize there are a lot of variables but I’m curious about what others are shooting for?

I hike 4 seasons in Missouri and I’m starting to hike in places I have to travel to. Weight is a big deal because of my age, a bad knee and because I love optimized gear that allows me to go further and enjoy it more.

I have a set of zero degree Hammock gear quits for winter. I wish they had the sewn foot box which I think is ideal for dedicated cold weather Hammocking.

I have a set of 20 degree HG full length quilts; the outer fabric is thin and looses warmth to the wind.

I’ve ordered a set of “Operator” 50 degree quilts from Loco Libre. These will be my lightest late spring/summer quits.

I have some 3/4 HG Phoenix quilts in 20 and 40 but never used the 20; I use the 40 3/4 in the warmer weather or summer but a,ways wanted a super lick to quilt set for those warmer nights.

I wish all of my quilts were the same color and I would go with sewn foot boxes on my 20 and 0 set if I had it too do over again.

I’m actually thinking of buying new 20 and 0 sets so I end up with 3 sets that are the same color and with the configuration I want.

So the perfect lineup for me would be full length charcoal gray with burnt orange inside 0, 20, and 50’s with sewn foot boxes on the 0 and 20’s, tie on the 50’s. This means the 20’s would get used most.

Just curious what your perfect lineup looks like and what you’re willing to pay or do to get there!

Enjoy the day
    Gideon

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Optimal range of quilt sets.

Because you mention wanting a 50° with a convertible footbox, you might be interested in the SierraMadre Puffle that's on kickstarter right now. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...enture-blanket

It's a 40° quilt that seems to have a smarter designed convertible footbox and it can be a TQ or an UQ.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    for a 50 degree set, I honestly think the Costco route is the way to go.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    for a 50 degree set, I honestly think the Costco route is the way to go.
    I'd agree if I had the time or inclination to DIY. What I like about the Lobo Libre set is that it's done and optimized for what I'm looking for.
    Gideon

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Because you mention wanting a 50° with a convertible footbox, you might be interested in the SierraMadre Puffle that's on kickstarter right now. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...enture-blanket

It's a 40° quilt that seems to have a smarter designed convertible footbox and it can be a TQ or an UQ.
    Nice looking product but too heavy at a pound which only gets you down to 40 degrees. In my experience, when you make gear to "do it all" you end up with a compromise that can be perfectly acceptable for many but is often not "optimized" for those who are really focused on specific objectives for their gear.
    Gideon

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    A good UQ protestor does amazing work!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    ...Just curious what your perfect lineup looks like and what you’re willing to pay or do to get there!...
    I had 40*, 20* and 0* Incubators and 20* HG Burrows, one sewn and another with snaps. For temps well below 0*F I'd stack my 20* Burrows and my 0* and 20* Incubators. (This combo kept my warm enough down to -18*F). However, I found I wasn't really enjoying hammocking at temps well below 0*. Winter camping down to 0* is enjoyable and stacking my 40* and 20* incubators is easily enough insulation for those temps. I have since sold my 0* Incubator.

So, I am left with a 40* HG Incubator I use with my snapped footbox 20* HG Burrow for overnight temps 50+ (As it gets warmer I find venting the footbox way nicer than slipping my feet in and out. The 40* underquilt packs much smaller than my 20* UQ)
    My 20* HG Incubator and 20* Sewn Footbox HG Burrow for overnight temps 20-50 (I also add my 2QZQ Underquilt protector to keep the wind from robbing my warmth)
    And I stack all of the above for overnight temps 0-20. I hang my 40* underquilt first (it will get a little compressed, then my 20* on the outside to preserve its full loft.)

All my quilts are Black outside, green inside. I am pretty happy with my set-up.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    A good UQ protestor does amazing work!
    "Yeah...this underquilt madness has got to STOP NOW!!"

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I also have a 2QZQ under quilt protector and I've been pleasantly surprised at how much more effective any UQ is when combined with the protector. I guess it's basic that the more wind resistant the outer shell the less heat loss. Whether that's with a single layer or by adding another layer (protector). My 20 degree UQ from HG has very thin fabric combared to my zero degree quilt from HG. An under quilt protector can also do a great job of keeping the rain and mudd off your quilt in foul weather.

I'm still thinking that the perfect set for me is...

Set of full length zeros
    Set of full length 20's
    Set of lightweight 50's

You could use 40's instead but remember one of my goals is to have a truly ultralight, even SUL hammock set up for late spring through very early fall. By combining the 20's with the 0's I can go below 0 but to be frank, I don't enjoy camping/hiking as much when it's that cold out.

Gideon

• + New Posts