Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    The Vipon site also has some really cheap hiking poles that could be used.
    If you want tarp poles like Shug suggested but do not want to purchase from REI you could get these from Kelty
    https://tinyurl.com/ydgyo9me
    Last edited by cjclint; 04-16-2018 at 21:08.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
    I was excited to see U of M at the top of that expo page, the fiance is almost done with her PHD there, and we're in Ann Arbor. But it appears to be in MN?
    Yeah, probably that was University of MINNESOTA... not Michigan!! We (in Ann Arbor) tend to forget that there are other UM's out there! ha ha ha ha!!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest Camo
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    varies greatly
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle
    Most of my hammocking is done from my motorcycle, so I don't use hiking poles. However, after spending a few full days under the protection of my tarp while on the road, I realize how nice it would be to be able to put one end into porch mode to escape the weather, while still having the space to sit, cook, read, etc. I just can't lay in my hammock all day when the weather turns nasty. I've been looking at a few different poles to use for this, but there's so many options!

Ultralight isn't terribly necessary, since I'm typically on the motorcycle, but the old lady and I are hoping to get back into backpacking when we move back West later this year (our backpacking kits are already sorted, but time is very limited for her right now), so I'd prefer something not ungodly heavy and bulky should I decide to pack them. It seems $50 is a reasonable price, looking at Amazon at least. It would be extra lovely if they packed down to 18" or less to make it easier to fit in my panniers. Telescoping or ferrules would be fine. I tend to hang my tarp high (large, standard hex) to allow us both to use the same tarp when we're out together. Does anyone have any recommendations for such a beast? And where to purchase?

Thanks in advance.
    What about this? (Sorry, don’t know how to create a usable link...). $45, Prime.

Adjustable Telescoping Aluminum Tarp and Tent Poles - Portable Camping, Hiking & Backpacking Accessory - Set of 2 Rods with Carry Bag - Strong, Lightweight, Corrosion Resistant - Fits All Grommets

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072K1B91Q..._baA1Ab8XDYQDZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw those, but when collapsed, they're 3 feet long!

I've been eyeing these, looks like the same thing Shug posted, but not from REI https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ASKQHNWJUL4WP

And these look OK, but are still 2 feet long packed https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1PDJDY0IY4EOO

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    If I were to do this, I'd probably be asking "how can I use these non-hiking poles as hiking poles" by the end of the trip

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    If I were to do this, I'd probably be asking "how can I use these non-hiking poles as hiking poles" by the end of the trip
    That's funny, because the only times I've ever tried hiking with a pole, I thought "why in the world would am I carrying this big annoying stick"?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    These are pricey but nest quite small:

https://shoppitusa.com/products/tato...rp-pole-180-cm

Lifted an image from a Youtube review that shows the packed size:

Capture.PNG

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That's funny, because the only times I've ever tried hiking with a pole, I thought "why in the world would am I carrying this big annoying stick"?
    Yeah I felt like a loser using them the first time, but then realized how great they were and that a lot of others used them as well. Taking a lot of stress off my knees and probably more.

Here's a great thread on that: Poll: Do you use hiking poles, staff, something else, or nothing?

For a set that would be pricey. But it appears to be per pole, which is way beyond what I would considerable reasonable if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    PS: Midwest Mountaineering has a huge bi-annual event, The Outdoor Adventure Expo. The Spring event is less than two weeks away. Dan Cooke - Cottage crafter extraordinaire usually is present and does an impressive tarp presentation. Everything on sale, including these shelter poles. I purchased a few at the Fall Expo.

http://www.outdooradventureexpo.com/
    Thanks for the recommendation! I was planning on going to the expo and was wondering which talks would be worth going to. I'll be sure to see Dan Cooke's Tarp Demonstration now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123