Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Non-hiking poles to use for "porch mode"?

Most of my hammocking is done from my motorcycle, so I don't use hiking poles. However, after spending a few full days under the protection of my tarp while on the road, I realize how nice it would be to be able to put one end into porch mode to escape the weather, while still having the space to sit, cook, read, etc. I just can't lay in my hammock all day when the weather turns nasty. I've been looking at a few different poles to use for this, but there's so many options!

Ultralight isn't terribly necessary, since I'm typically on the motorcycle, but the old lady and I are hoping to get back into backpacking when we move back West later this year (our backpacking kits are already sorted, but time is very limited for her right now), so I'd prefer something not ungodly heavy and bulky should I decide to pack them. It seems $50 is a reasonable price, looking at Amazon at least. It would be extra lovely if they packed down to 18" or less to make it easier to fit in my panniers. Telescoping or ferrules would be fine. I tend to hang my tarp high (large, standard hex) to allow us both to use the same tarp when we're out together. Does anyone have any recommendations for such a beast? And where to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Not many hiking poles are going to collapse to 18" and extend to a usable porch mode length. These are some of the shortest collapsed I've seen.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mount...ng+poles&psc=1

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
    Most of my hammocking is done from my motorcycle, so I don't use hiking poles. However, after spending a few full days under the protection of my tarp while on the road, I realize how nice it would be to be able to put one end into porch mode to escape the weather, while still having the space to sit, cook, read, etc. I just can't lay in my hammock all day when the weather turns nasty. I've been looking at a few different poles to use for this, but there's so many options!

Ultralight isn't terribly necessary, since I'm typically on the motorcycle, but the old lady and I are hoping to get back into backpacking when we move back West later this year (our backpacking kits are already sorted, but time is very limited for her right now), so I'd prefer something not ungodly heavy and bulky should I decide to pack them. It seems $50 is a reasonable price, looking at Amazon at least. It would be extra lovely if they packed down to 18" or less to make it easier to fit in my panniers. Telescoping or ferrules would be fine. I tend to hang my tarp high (large, standard hex) to allow us both to use the same tarp when we're out together. Does anyone have any recommendations for such a beast? And where to purchase?

Thanks in advance.
    Carry a folding pruning saw and cut porch poles as needed. Also good for clearing nuisance brush away.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Images
    These tent poles with coupon and prime shipping are only $10 for a 2 pack
    https://www.vipon.com/product/497862...78628_17_image

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
    ... I'd prefer something not ungodly heavy and bulky should I decide to pack them. It seems $50 is a reasonable price, looking at Amazon at least. It would be extra lovely if they packed down to 18" or less to make it easier to fit in my panniers. Telescoping or ferrules would be fine. I tend to hang my tarp high (large, standard hex) to allow us both to use the same tarp when we're out together. Does anyone have any recommendations for such a beast? And where to purchase?

Thanks in advance.
    I am moving from primarily a backpacker to more of a paddler. I have added a Cooke Custom Sewing Tundra tarp and Shelter poles to my gear for canoe tripping.

https://shop.cookecustomsewing.com/p...&categoryId=32

These poles ^ are really nice. Collapsible plus telescoping section to easily adjust height. Available in two sizes but, the shorter size (3 sections rather than 4 sections) would be adequate for your needs.
    Buy online directly from Dan Cooke's website or when visiting Minneapolis, swing by Midwest Mountaineering.

Good Luck

PS: Midwest Mountaineering has a huge bi-annual event, The Outdoor Adventure Expo. The Spring event is less than two weeks away. Dan Cooke - Cottage crafter extraordinaire usually is present and does an impressive tarp presentation. Everything on sale, including these shelter poles. I purchased a few at the Fall Expo.

http://www.outdooradventureexpo.com/
    Last edited by OCDave; 04-15-2018 at 20:58.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    BB-RR-Trvlr-Dutch-Clark
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cloud
    Insulation
    HG 20* Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoop N Straps
    I have the poles from REI Shug mentioned and like them a lot. They are very adjustable and allow you to drop one corner for rain to flow off while in porch mode.
    Liviní Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Bullfrog
    Insulation
    WL Top + Bottom
    Suspension
    BIAS Strap Anchors
    Ive used golf alignment poles like these ones https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sure-Sticks...-/132544370093 with some success.
    The tent is a lie.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I go as Animal suggested except i don't even use a saw. There are normally enough limbs/branches laying around. Here in Florida the Sabal or Cabbage Palm normally has plenty of dead fronds laying at it's base.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Philmont uses nesting poles a bit like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZasi-lWbt8

I don't think I've seen anything quite so compact.