Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable

Falling from an Hennessy

Hi guys, im totally new around here and obviously I have questions

(I have questions about the hennessy system mainly because i've never tried one)

The entrance of the Hennessy (that is holding your legs) is hold by a few velcro.. How strong is it for holding your leg inside the hammock (if you dont sleep with your feet on the side) ? Can your leg fall while your sleeping ?

The bottom entry is innovative but.. im affraid it wont hold my leg while I sleep. This is a deal breaker for me.. I heard a lot about the hennessy being really good but the DD Hammock is a few bucks cheaper and don't have that problem.

Question #2 : Is it possible to use a "matress" (sorry, english isn't my first language) to isolate the back ? with the hennessy bottom-entry, i guess you can't put it in the bottom of the hammock. Once again, the DD got a second "floor" to put it.

Any kind of help or information is welcome, meanwhile, i'll start reading this forum for reviews

facts so far:
    - I dont really want to go over 200$ but i'll see..
    - Im a big guy around 125kg / 250lbs
    - Im 6'2"
    - Its for Survival Expedition in the wilderness

Thank you guys for your help!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome DocBurN!

The Hennessys are made to be used laying on the diagonal. They will probably work for a straight-line sleeper, but there are much better hammocks out there for that style of sleeping. That said, the only time I've ever had issues with my feet dangling from a HH was when I had the foot-end set too low.

As for DD Hammocks, I think they are a much better choice for you based on what you've told us. Not the most comfortable hammock for me, but I'm a hard diagonal sleeper. However, I own a couple of the DD Hammocks and find myself taking out my Frontline more often than I would have thought a few months ago.

Also in that category are Claytors and Clarks. The Clarks are kind of the Cadillac of that style hammock, so be prepared to spend way more than $200.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome Docburn to the forum. There is no problem with the entrance of the HH in terms of people falling out. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want your feet to the side anyway as you can lie flatter that way. Try not to let $$ guide your decision too much. Try to figure out what you need from the forum and spend the $$ to get that . You might save a few $$ now but allot of people upgrade to a larger, better tarp than the stock Hennessy tarp. If your going to be out in the woods for an extended period of time a nice mid sized,( MacCat Deluxe, Warbonnet Hex, etc) is a nice way to go. Personally i knew i wanted to throw the bug net back at times so that meant either getting a zipper modification on a Hennessy or getting something that already had a zipper which is what i did. I bought the Warbonnet Blackbird, bought a MacCat Deluxe tarp and haven't regretted spending a little extra cash. The other thing to do is look at the for sale area of the forum as hammocks come up for sale regularly. All the info is here on the site to make an educated guess at what will work for you. Once you get into hammocking you may change some things like everything we do. Good luck
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    If you are a straight-line sleeper check out the http://grandtrunkgoods.com/ProdDetails.aspx?prodId=70 and the http://grandtrunkgoods.com/ProdDetails.aspx?prodId=66. this is the setup I use and I most of the time sleep right down the middle. It is also a very roomy hammock at 10'6 long a 5' wide. So you're looking at $160 for hammock and tarp. Oh yeah and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by rigidpsycho; 02-17-2010 at 15:50.
    Chris

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    one time i did wake up with my feet hanging out of the bottom of my old HH

but i move around in my sleep alot....

other then that i never had a problem falling out of the bottom
    but getting in and out of the bottom gets old ....if you get a HH...get the Zipper mod

have you looked into a warbonnet?
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Thank a lot for all this information guys.. and I'll check deeply into every options..

In your own opinion, I have never use a hammock before and im now 100% sure that its the way to go for what i do.. but what is it with this diagonal sleeping.. what do you get better in diagonal than the straight sleeping ? From what I hear from you guys, you be more straight while sleeping ? Never heard or knew that people was using hammock "diagonally".

I like the idea of getting a big hammock with plenty of room, and im aiming at 300lbs support to have a good buffer of weight over my actual weight (and may bring a few tools inside with me... and the mosquito net is an absolute must in my case.

The more I think about it, the less i think the bottom entry is a good idea.. and you refer a lot to a zipper mod.. on the side i guess.. probably seal the bottom entry.. so there is not much that keep me with the hennessy brand. Maybe I should stick with something already like I want instead of a modded HH, unless the HH is really superior regarding comfortability over a DD.

I am far from decided but the Hennessy is loosing ground..

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBurN View Post
    I like the idea of getting a big hammock with plenty of room, and im aiming at 300lbs support to have a good buffer of weight over my actual weight (and may bring a few tools inside with me... and the mosquito net is an absolute must in my case.
    Several hammocks meet those requirements.

Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear Switchback
    DD Hammocks Frontline
    Clark Any Model
    Lots of others....

Laying diagonally in the hammock allows the fabric to lift in the center and lets most people get a more flat experience. But, it's very personal from hanger to hanger. My girlfriend, who was taught the ways of the hammock by me, much prefers the straight-line method in 90% of the hammocks she has tried. Took me a while to get her comfortable because it never occurred to me that she was a straight-line sleeper.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBurN View Post
    Question #2 : Is it possible to use a "matress" (sorry, english isn't my first language) to isolate the back?
    Almost forgot, the word you're looking for is probably "pad". However, there are also DAMs, which stand for Down Air Mattress. So, your English must be better than you thought.
    And the answer is: Yes.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    [QUOTE=DocBurN;211951]In your own opinion, I have never use a hammock before and im now 100% sure that its the way to go for what i do.. but what is it with this diagonal sleeping.. what do you get better in diagonal than the straight sleeping ? From what I hear from you guys, you be more straight while sleeping ? Never heard or knew that people was using hammock "diagonally".
    QUOTE]

With 'straight' sleeping, you lay with your head and feet in line with the ends of the hammock. 'Diagonal' sleeping means that you rotate your body 10-15% one way or the other. What this accomplishes is to move your head and feet off of the 'slopes' at the ends of the hammock a little bit, producing a lay that allow your body to be flatter.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    If you go to "Warbonnet Outdoors" and go to the video of the Blackbird hammock brandon gives a demonstration of inline sleeping followed with diagonal sleeping which is what the BB is meant for.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast