Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh

UQ ajustment and the CBS and CRS blues

Hi all....

I spent 2 nights out last week in the Grayson Highlands - Mt. Rogers area. It has been over a year since I've been camping and it was great to finally get out. I hope to get out more often.....I really had a great time.

My DIY climashield UQ works nice but I still have a few issues with setting it up correctly. My UQ has bungy cord running down channels on both sides, the ends knotted. I place the ends over the knob at the end of the hammock and adjust so the UQ lifts the empty hammock up. When I lay in it, the UQ feels like its up against my butt ok.

The first night out, temps got down to 37 degs. I've been down lower than that before with this UQ but that night my butt got a little cold. I didn't feel any bad calf ridge.... I brought a thin pad with me so I grabbed it and threw it in the hammy and slept great.
    camp_LFT_setup1a.jpg

The second night I wanted to try and get rid of the CBS so I prussiked a CL to the left bungy and clipped it the the left end of my UQ (I sleep feet left). My thought was it would keep the UQ from slipping. Well that helped a lot. I didn't need the pad, I didn't feel any cold spots. Temp that night was not as cold, 41 deg but it was very, very windy. But I had a really bad case of calf ridge.....I took my rolled up pad and put it under my knees and that solved the CR.
    UQ_adjust.jpg

I wonder why this occurs.....my UQ is not full length....
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Images
    So do you think the added UQ adjustment caused the curse of the calf ridge? I have no clue, except I know it is easy to end up with CR with most of my gathered hammocks. Trying to lay across the center of a hammock, in the diagonal position, is IMO the cause of many hammock and UQ related issues. But of course, we need to in gathered end hammocks for other reasons. Good luck on your search for the solution.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So do you think the added UQ adjustment caused the curse of the calf ridge?.
    Hey BillyBob58....I am wondering if it is making the normally minor CR more pronounced than without. I will have to try it several more times without and with to see. I do know I don't seem to have much of an issue with a really bad CR when using the hammock without an UQ. Maybe it has something to do with the length of the UQ. I have the head end just to my shoulders and my pillow insulating my head. The other end may be landing across the bottom of my legs wrong?? Maybe pulling the UQ up so it goes beyond my head and bring left bungy up and over feet? Also, I wonder if securing the left end is wrong....maybe it should be the right end (I'm looking at a diagram I just drew) I just need to set up and do some testing. It's all fun! Thank you for your comment.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html