DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook

Forum "Advanced Search" options/function

I generally use the Advanced Search feature and find that the use is limited. It made me wonder why.
    One of the biggest issues is the lack of use of 3 letter words in the Keyword search. If I do a search for "Sap Bag" I will get zero results though I know they exist. I was recently looking for the suggested length for a "Bridge Spreader bar". The "Bar" was not used as a search word and I missed a few that I had to find using different words. Also acronyms common to threads are missed like "CRL" or "SRL". We all know what these are and when posting do not spell out Continuous Ridge Line or Structural Ridge Line. If search for those terms I would get some results but those too can be limited if someone combines Ridgeline into one word. Most will use CRL and not spell it out.

The exclusion of 3 letter terms also eliminates the options for Boolean search terms AND, NOT, OR. Maybe these are done with a default in the background but not likely. It seems AND is the only option and is done automatically.

I have seen that people prefer/suggest to use Google and use the search terms they want but add site:hammockforums.net CRL to the search. However, this seems odd that one would have to leave the site to search something on the site.

Most will just start a new thread to ask the same question that has already been asked, discussed, and answered many times. I understand that not every thread on a single topic has all the answers but I don't want to have to start a new thread every time I have a question when I could search and read through the existing threads.

Questions:
    1. Is there a Sticky or something that explains the use of the advanced search options? May I am missing something in the way I use the option and can get what I want already.
    2. Would it be possible to update the search function include at a minimum commonly used 2 or 3 letter terms? (without having to leave the site)
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Most forum's search functions are lacking.

The google search 'sap bag site:https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/' will get results.

Aggravating? Yes, but it is reality.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Forum "Advanced Search" options/function

Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    Most will just start a new thread to ask the same question that has already been asked, discussed, and answered many times. I understand that not every thread on a single topic has all the answers but I don't want to have to start a new thread every time I have a question when I could search and read through the existing threads.
    Then again, one of my favorite things about this forum is that there are always lots of people eager to help. Newcomers asking questions give these helpful people a chance to stay engaged and keeps this place “alive”. Some people don’t have the time to dig through search results. The fact that you can ask any question here and get an answer in short time by experienced people is what makes this place special. That satisfies most people I think. Fortunately, for those that like to dig and search, it’s still possible with Google.
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 04-19-2018 at 04:08.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Most forum's search functions are lacking.
    To which end, quite a few forums insert a google search box at the top of the page. Might that be a option for HF?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS
    I'm in agreement with the the OP of this thread.

Images
    The four letter limit is to avoid excessive hits.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    "pad vs. underquilt"...darn, no good results. I'll create a new thread.

A little searching, a little browsing, makes the world a lot easier on others. We're approaching 50,000 members.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post

A little searching, a little browsing, makes the world a lot easier on others. We're approaching 50,000 members.
    I'm always tempted to just post the results of a google search (using the subject matter and "hammockforums"), but I don't want to be "that guy"...

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post

Looks like someone already posted this question. Just in case you are looking...
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-vs-underquilt
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I'm always tempted to just post the results of a google search (using the subject matter and "hammockforums"), but I don't want to be "that guy"...
    I was chastised for doing so by a certain member...for trying to help...for trying to point others in the right direction...for "reusing" some very good feedback from experienced members. I guess we don't do that now since the forum "wouldn't be very active". Because it's not like you can reply to an old thread to keep discussion going. That would be crazy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast