Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Awesome design there KC.
    Thank you so much.

How are you running your ridgeline? It looks like you have 2 (actually 3: 1 continuous and 2 tie outs)

Do you have both tieouts along the seams, or one seam and one between?

Are you designating a rear tie out like on the trail star?
    Just as the tarp is versatile and adaptable in its configuration on the ground, over a hammock you have two options for rigging your ridge line. For short spans, you can run the ridge line sloped (as in the first photo in the OP), that is, NOT horizontal; the tie-out at the vertex is on the low side, and the peak tie-out in the center of the tarp is on the high end, and then the mid-side tie-out on the other end is guyed out to the three on the high end of the sloped ridge line at a level roughly equal to the opposite end. For longer spans where the high end of a sloped ridge line would be hung higher than is convenient, you can opt to string a more conventional primary ridge line under the tarp, connecting a vertex on one end and the mid-face tie-out on the other end, and either suspending the peak tie-out on its own secondary ridge line or guying it out with either two independent tie-outs to the trees or "bear bag style" with a single line to an overhead branch or other anchor point.

All of the above methods work. I am even considering that a double-internal pole mod is possible, crossing like an "X", for winter snow loads. That would really be something, and it would make suspension of the peak less important.

My tarp has three vertex tie-outs on seams and two on the continuous run of fabric, with the mid-face tie-out located between the latter two vertices. The vertex tie-out opposite the mid-face tie-out is the "tail" on the ground. On this prototype I actually installed mid-face tie-out reinforcement patches on the remaining four sides, just in case there is ever a desire to add more tie-outs for stability or pole-compatibility.

The wraparound wind protection of this tarp is really nice; the end with the mid-face tie-out is almost like having a hex with half doors like the Warbonnet Minifly.

I have been working on complete detailed plans for several tarp designs this week, all of which will be submitted to Dutchware Gear in the Articles section, so you'll eventually have access to my complete plans to make this tarp the easy way from 7 yards of Xenon Wide.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-19-2018 at 23:18.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Your tarps are pretty cool, Cowboy. I hope to own one someday! I would’ve bought this one if it were brown.

Hammock
    90 degree Gamma Hammock
    Tarp
    Rab sil III
    Insulation
    exped synmat
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Thank you so much.

Just as the tarp is versatile and adaptable in its configuration on the ground, over a hammock you have two options for rigging your ridge line. For short spans, you can run the ridge line sloped (as in the first photo in the OP), that is, NOT horizontal; the tie-out at the vertex is on the low side, and the peak tie-out in the center of the tarp is on the high end, and then the mid-side tie-out on the other end is guyed out to the three on the high end of the sloped ridge line at a level roughly equal to the opposite end. For longer spans where the high end of a sloped ridge line would be hung higher than is convenient, you can opt to string a more conventional primary ridge line under the tarp, connecting a vertex on one end and the mid-face tie-out on the other end, and either suspending the peak tie-out on its own secondary ridge line or guying it out with either two independent tie-outs to the trees or "bear bag style" with a single line to an overhead branch or other anchor point.

All of the above methods work. I am even considering that a double-internal pole mod is possible, crossing like an "X", for winter snow loads. That would really be something, and it would make suspension of the peak less important.

My tarp has three vertex tie-outs on seams and two on the continuous run of fabric, with the mid-face tie-out located between the latter two vertices. The vertex tie-out opposite the mid-face tie-out is the "tail" on the ground. On this prototype I actually installed mid-face tie-out reinforcement patches on the remaining four sides, just in case there is ever a desire to add more tie-outs for stability or pole-compatibility.

The wraparound wind protection of this tarp is really nice; the end with the mid-face tie-out is almost like having a hex with half doors like the Warbonnet Minifly.

I have been working on complete detailed plans for several tarp designs this week, all of which will be submitted to Dutchware Gear in the Articles section, so you'll eventually have access to my complete plans to make this tarp the easy way from 7 yards of Xenon Wide.
    On this drawing, where would be the ridgeline tie outs?

Really like your tarp ideas.
    Many thanks!

Tapatalk

Hammock
    90 degree Gamma Hammock
    Tarp
    Rab sil III
    Insulation
    exped synmat
    I really like your idea.
    If some company would make it I would buy it.

I would be slightly worried about the midpoint tie out.
    In my mind I could see it tear when severe stress is on it.

Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by GregfromHolland View Post
    On this drawing, where would be the ridgeline tie outs?
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    There is one midpoint tie-out on the near face; as you fold the tarp between this midpoint and the opposite vertex on the other side of the tarp, you alter the geometry of both the enclosed volume and the effective "rain shadow".
    Really like your tarp ideas.
    Thanks for your kind words and for reading my project reports.

I really like your idea. If some company would make it I would buy it.
    Detailed do-it-yourself (DIY) construction plans for you to make your own version of this tarp from Xenon Wide silpoly fabric will be available on the Dutchware Gear website in the Articles section in about a month.

I would be slightly worried about the midpoint tie out. In my mind I could see it tear when severe stress is on it.
    The similarly shaped commercially available MLD Trailstar is also a pentagonal pyramid design, and it has an excellent reputation and record for handling high winds; the low profile helps it shed wind on the ground, and the tapered shape and oblique lines relative to the ridge line help it deflect and spill strong gusts when hung over a hammock.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-20-2018 at 06:19.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I hadn’t thought about running the CRL under the tarp. When you do that with a tieout on the seam and one mid panel, does the midpoint stay taught?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I hadn’t thought about running the CRL under the tarp. When you do that with a tieout on the seam and one mid panel, does the midpoint stay taught?
    As long as the peak is guyed out even gently, YES! The side tie outs work against the ridge line an provide the necessary tension to the panels. The trick is to remember that it is a shaped tarp, so the angles of your pitch have input on your ridge line length.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Photo Links Fixed

Re-uploaded a few pictures of this tarp so they can be viewed by those who are not donating members.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Thanks KC!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12