Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    I'm going to try a few different methods of hanging a cot. Ratchets with 3/8" webbing is one way. I recently purchased a Helinox lightweight cot (2lbs) as my basic starting point.

See this thread I started "One Tree Hammock"

An example of what it is suppose to look like:

1 tree hammock.JPG
    one tree ham.JPG

This is what the Maverick Gear hammock looks like suspended, gives an idea of how much flex to expect. It's a suspended cot.

Maverick Gear Hammock assembly of under supports.

maverick-inserting-pole.gif
    Last edited by Stovemandan; 04-23-2018 at 12:01.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I'm not sure what the advantages would be over just using the cot as a cot, just seems more complicated. Unless you were half way up a big wall.

I have a friend who took an engineer job with the Navy back in VA. He uses one of the lightweight cots that was something like Luminox??? Thermarest bought them out and now has a couple of versions.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Uneven terrain(mountains) hilly woodlands would be reason to hang it from a tree. Only need one tree. Insects(chigger/ticks) would climb up the 3 legs of the common cot while on the ground.

A Hammocot would have a "cool factor" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I'm not sure what the advantages would be over just using the cot as a cot, just seems more complicated. Unless you were half way up a big wall.

I have a friend who took an engineer job with the Navy back in VA. He uses one of the lightweight cots that was something like Luminox??? Thermarest bought them out and now has a couple of versions.
    I have a big cabelas cot. Very comfortable. But it’s big, bulky and heavy. My smaller buddy uses one of those little blue cots. I think they are made by the same company that makes the blue roll up tables. As a packer I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. Anyhow, for me? It’s no different than sleeping on the ground.

If I could find a small comfy lightweight cot I would use it for sure. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovemandan View Post
    I'm going to try a few different methods of hanging a cot. Ratchets with 3/8" webbing is one way. I recently purchased a Helinox lightweight cot (2lbs) as my basic starting point.

See this thread I started "One Tree Hammock"

An example of what it is suppose to look like:

1 tree hammock.JPG
    one tree ham.JPG

This is what the Maverick Gear hammock looks like suspended, gives an idea of how much flex to expect. It's a suspended cot.

Maverick Gear Hammock assembly of under supports.

maverick-inserting-pole.gif
    I like it. But not the stand on the end.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Look what this guy is toying around with:

luxurylite cot.JPG

That’s like the bat thing kinda.

Would have to find a stout horizontal tree. Or cut a meat pole.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    There is some really good info on tubing and hardware given by the inventor of the portaledge.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/th...4881&tn=0&mr=0

portaledge 4.JPG

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman7088 View Post

If I could find a small comfy lightweight cot I would use it for sure. Thanks.
    There are a couple companies that make ultralight hammocks. Thermarest, who bought out the design from the inventors (something like Luminox???), and the ones made by Helinox.

One advantage of a hammock is the ability to use down underquilts versus an insulated pad. Although some inflatable insulated pads by Exped and Thermarest are quite nice they tend to be a little sweaty under warm conditions. A cot, like a hammock, absolutely needs insulation on the bottom. It should be possible to adapt something like the Arrowhead Equipment Ridgecreek apex UQ or the Hammock Gear Phoenix UQ to the bottom of a cot with elastic shock cord or bungees.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Thank you OltrailDog. I did a search for some info and found this:

This great cot accessory allows you to use your cot even without a sleeping pad. Install it on the underside of your Helinox cot to provide a thermal barrier that will prevent body heat from radiating groundward out of your sleep environment.

Install it on the UNDERSIDE of the cot. If you install it on the top, you'll mash down the insulation when you lie down on it, thus negating it's heat transfer resistance. Install it on the underside and the insulation forms a thermal barrier against groundward heat loss.

A cot doesn't provide insulation. Neither does your sleeping bag because its underside fill doesn't insulate when it is mashed down by your body. To prevent groundward heat loss, you need either an insulated sleeping pad on top of your cot or an insulating layer hugging the underside of the cot. This Cot Insulation allows you to leave the sleeping pad behind.

Sized for use with a Cot One or High Cot but can also be used with a Cot Lite or Cot Max.

cot insul.JPGCOTINSULATION_detail3-005.jpgHeli attachment.jpgheli insul.JPGhelinox under quilt.JPG

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast