Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpak Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

North-Eastern Washington State, Colville National Forest

Hello, all.

I am looking for information about that area - I might have opportunity to spend two weeks or so there this year end of September/beginning of October.

I am specifically interested in the area between road #20 between Colville and Tiger and the Canadian border.

How are the usual temperatures there around that time? Is spending the night in the woods legal or tolerated there? How are the bugs, there at the time?

I have also tried to get some trail maps, so far without success.

Are there established trails good for a long weekend or somesuch? Trailheads?

I would be thankful for hints, perhaps from someone local to the area.
    Ich weiß, daß ich hing / im windigen Baum, / neun lange Nächte.
    --
    Süntelhänger, Waldgänger

Quote Originally Posted by MeisterGrimbart View Post
    Hello, all.

I am looking for information about that area - I might have opportunity to spend two weeks or so there this year end of September/beginning of October.

I am specifically interested in the area between road #20 between Colville and Tiger and the Canadian border.

How are the usual temperatures there around that time? Is spending the night in the woods legal or tolerated there? How are the bugs, there at the time?

I have also tried to get some trail maps, so far without success.

Are there established trails good for a long weekend or somesuch? Trailheads?

I would be thankful for hints, perhaps from someone local to the area.
    IÂ’m your guy. I was raised and live on a ranch in Rice. Graduated high school from Kettle Falls, and own a business in Colville.

Days can get warm 70s, nights can get cool 40s. You may encounter snow if your high enough. You can camp anywhere on the National Forest. State ground in Washington now requires a Discovery Pass. I think they are 25 bucks at any local sporting goods store. Bugs can be bad near water sources. Skeeters, no see ums, horse flys and yellow jackets.

The Colville National Forest Maps can be downloaded here I think.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/colville/maps-pubs

ClarkÂ’s All Sports in Colville has more detailed USGS maps, but smaller areas than Nat Forest wide.

https://www.clarksallsports.com

Tons of trails and campgrounds in the Nat Forest. Abercrombie and Hooknose are two peaks with trail systems north of the tiger highway. But more trails would be east of the Pend Oreille river in the Salmo Priest wilderness area. Or to the west of the Columbia river in the Kettle crest mountains. You can also rent the snow peak cabin. I belong to the back country horseman and we help the Forest Service pack in supplies and repair the cabin.

We have Moose, Grizzly, Black Bear, Cougar and Wolves. I would highly advise buying bear spray when you hit the states.

You can give me a call any time,

Wade
    509 680 2826

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpak Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman7088 View Post
    IÂ’m your guy. I was raised and live on a ranch in Rice. Graduated high school from Kettle Falls, and own a business in Colville. <reluctantly snipped the rest of the post>
    That is so nice, and thank you very much for the hints!

I will definitely contact you when I am over there. I am staying with my inlaws near Narcisse Creek from mid-sept to about mid-oct. Colville is fairly close.

In the next couple of days I will look at maps and things like that. I think I probably order an ursack, too, to be delivered to my inlaws, so I have it there, when I need it. Might not be a bad idea here neither. Not for bears, but for mice of all things, which are bad in some spots here, especially where people camp more often. Bear spray has been recommend by my inlaws, too. Really they recommend a shotgun ... but being from this country here, I have had no gun in my hands during my entire life. I would be more likely to have success with it, if I hit something with it with the butt end. <g> And the weight alone ...

So, I take it, a 20°F sleeping setup would be fine, with some warm underwear and a puffy for backup if it gets unexpectedly cold. And mosquito-gear, too, just so I can be sure to actually enjoy the few days I have.

The Abercrombie area sounds good to me. I want to do a bit of exploring quite close to where I stay. It looks like I could even do some geocaching in the very vicinity, on foot right from the doorstep, in the area around Old Dominion, while I am there.

I might one day actually be living there and want to check out what it's like right there.

Also, I have since found out - through a youtube video of all things - that the Pacific Northwest Trail passes through that area, possibly even right over Abercrombie. I am looking into that - then I could call myself a PNT section hiker, right? I know, I know ... <g>

Again, thanks for the hints and tips, and for your kind offer to contact you. I will.
    Ich weiß, daß ich hing / im windigen Baum, / neun lange Nächte.
    --
    Süntelhänger, Waldgänger

• + New Posts