Hammock
    Hyperlite & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, CCF & BA
    Images

DIY Undercover?

Just wondering if anyone has made an undercover for their hammock? If so was it difficult? I'm waiting for my HH Hyperlight to arrive and wondering how to optimize it for season ahead and warmth? I've done a little sewing on silnylon and it's not difficult. It would seem one could do a DIY undercover using the hammocks bottom as a pattern pretty easily. Or am I missing something? Suggestions?

Tks, Steve

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Are you trying to make something for weather protection or are you wanting something more like what's on the HH Super Shelter system? If want some weather protection take a look at this thread. I used Tyvek to make mine. You want something that is a breathable. Silymay work but you since sil is waterproof you run the risk of the "bath tub effect" where moisture like sweat, condensation, or rain would pool in the undercover directly under your hammock.

BTW, welcome to the forum I really enjoy your site, especially the videos of your goats.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hyperlite & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, CCF & BA
    Images

Weather protection and insulation pocket

I was thinking of both weather protection and as an insulation pocket.

BTW My Hyperlight arrived yesterday and I spent my first night in a hammock last nght. It was great ...really comfortable ! With both side and back positions I experienced no pressure points like when I sleep on the ground! I used an old combo CCF-OCF pad that I picked up in a garage sale for a buck. It worked pretty good except for the buckling and shifting. I used my WM Hyperlight (16oz bag) quilt fashion and was very comfortable but the low temp was only 55F until the wind kicked in then my feet got cold where they were touching the hammock! So I've got some fine tunning to get a working system.

Also thanks for thread link it was great info!! Man, what's with those gonzo tree hugger straps and giant biner I saw in your pics? You could lift the Titanic with that set up? Do you carry those on the trail?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Those aren't tree huggers. I changed the stock HH spectra line to webbing. It's easier to use.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome Goatman,

I have a Hyperlight as well. Great hammock for sure. Check out the Speer SPE.
    Works really well:www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    This is the support system many have switched to. Really makes set-up a breeze: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=buckle
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    hey goatman,welcome to the forum, its good to see another coloradoan here (even though i still consider myself a Tennesseean)

you could use the hammock body as a patteren, but as this shape is rectangular with ends gathered, you will have lots of excess fabric being unused, you could save several ounces by cutting a shape that is custom fit to the bottom, like the hh undercover does.

too bad about your feet cramming into the side of the hammock and crushing the insul, its due to the bad shape of your hammock, not much you can do except to lay more in-line/less diagonal, i guess you could carry an extra long pad to insulate the side of the hammock where the compression is taking place too. had you gotten a warbonnet hammock instead, there would be plenty of room for your feet and you would not have this problem...Brandon

Images
    One thing you might want to consider adding in is a gear storage pocket similar to the clark hammocks. That might be nice storage or added insulation fator.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hyperlite & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, CCF & BA
    Images
    Thanks for the ideas guys!

Yup another gear pocket for sure! I hung my 1/2 liter water bottle on one of those little hooks for middle of the night dry mouth fixes. Also looking into the ring buckle system. I can see like all activities it can become another hobby where the journey becomes the destination.

As far as waking jammed into the foot area I think that was from not hanging the hammock level. Worked much better last night. I pitched (old tent term!) rather hung it more level this time and didn't wind up pile at the foot end. Lots to learn here but the more time I spend in it the better like it!

http://picasaweb.google.com/n0tu.qrp...67257385409458

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I actually find I'm a little more comfortable with the foot end of my hammock hung a couple of inches higher than the head end. Personal preference, but you might try it while your still in the steep part of the learning curve.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Yea most here raise the foot end a little higher. Since most of your body weight is from hips upward, it helps to prevent your body from shifting downwards.
    Nice pic Goatman. One suggestion. Get yourself a bigger tarp. The Hyperlight tarp is itty bitty.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast