Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving from separate to integrated bug net concern?

Hi guys, Ive had a full eno setup for a while (bug net, doublenest, dryfly, ember underquilt) and am very happy with it all but want to reduce packed size and weight. I just hammocked the most mosquito infested night Ive ever had and it all performed great, but that was just skeeters and no spiders/alienbeetleswithclaws/etc.

My one hang up with moving from separate to an integrated bug net is that I foresee bugs getting in between the hammock and underquilt. Is this an issue? I find all manner of things outside my mosquito net and under my tarp, and will stay with a fully enclosed net vs an integrated zipper style net if this happens.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Permethrin is your friend. I personallly prefer the Fronkey-style independent bugnet (available from Dutch or Buttinasling), but if I ever use my Chameleon (integrated bugnet) in the summer, I can assure you I'll spray my hammock and bugnet with permethrin.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've never had issue with bugs migrating between the hammock and UQ, nor have I sprayed my hammock with permethrin. The bug net is sprayed each season.

I don't believe you should have any concern, and as SilvrSurfr says, spray your hammock for an added level of protection.

I don't know how you guys deal with the independent bug net.. HYOH.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I've never had issues with bugs getting between the under quilt and hammock using an integrated bug net. I did have a bird get between my under quilt and hammock on night. It scared me to death as the bird started fluttering and I had no idea what it was. I pulled down on the UQ and the bird flew out and landed on my hammock then took off. The little birdy did leave me with a gift which took a while to clean

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Don't even get me started on bugs. I literally just cut down one of the trees I hang from to get rid of about 10,000 spiders, earwigs, slugs, millipedes and other evil, blood sucking, web weaving hell creatures. I'm done being held hostage in my hammock at 3am when I have to pee but can't get out because 5,000 spiders are hanging from my tarp perimeter, RL, guy outs, hammock net and suspension and have woven an impenetrable web of doom, essentially turning my hammock into a cocoon of web with me inside. And they just hang there, looking at me and waiting for me to unzip so they can trap me in the web of death and then slowly slowly drag me off into the aether. Oh I know what they wanna do to me......but I have a chain saw and fire. Let them best that! HAhahahahahahahahah !
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I haven’t had a problem with bugs getting between my quilt and hammock, even on the night I camped with Chesapeake.

I haven’t used any pesticides on my gear.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I only treat my bug net with Permethrin- never the hammock body. This past September, I backpacked on the Ozark Highlands Trail in Arkansas- with daytime temps around 90° and spiders every 10ft on the trail, and had nary an issue with bugs on or around my hammock. The first morning, I had ants all over my tarp, but none on my hammock.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    This is why site selection is so important. Never set up camp near fire ants/ wasp nests/ bat caves, etc. The outdoors is a rough place for people with bug/spider/snake phobias, especially in the warmer months.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Don't even get me started on bugs. I literally just cut down one of the trees I hang from to get rid of about 10,000 spiders, earwigs, slugs, millipedes and other evil, blood sucking, web weaving hell creatures. I'm done being held hostage in my hammock at 3am when I have to pee but can't get out because 5,000 spiders are hanging from my tarp perimeter, RL, guy outs, hammock net and suspension and have woven an impenetrable web of doom, essentially turning my hammock into a cocoon of web with me inside. And they just hang there, looking at me and waiting for me to unzip so they can trap me in the web of death and then slowly slowly drag me off into the aether. Oh I know what they wanna do to me......but I have a chain saw and fire. Let them best that! HAhahahahahahahahah !
    Perhaps they can sense your fear?

No issues here with my integrated net hammocks. I also do not use permethrin but have considered it as an extra layer of insurance. Bugs between the UQ and hammock? If they stay there all night that's just extra insulation right?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast