Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Senior Member Cruiser51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    145
    Every time I read one of your projects I learn something new ... well done. This thing is the size of a small store .... coffee and donuts in the wild anyone?

    Are you still using the grosgrain on the pole points or just into the Beastie D's?


    Brian

  2. #12
    kitsapcowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Kitsap County, WA
    Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    Every time I read one of your projects I learn something new ... well done. This thing is the size of a small store .... coffee and donuts in the wild anyone?
    LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    Are you still using the grosgrain on the pole points or just into the Beastie D's?
    My first-ever wide winter tarp was later modified using grosgrain pole pockets for internal pole compatability, but ever since I have simply used 1/2" Bestee Dee rings, either alone or as part of two-way tie-outs with LineLoc 3 adjusters at the same location. You just can't beat the Beastees!
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

  3. #13
    kitsapcowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Kitsap County, WA
    Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    3,763

    Photo Links Fixed

    Re-uploaded some images to make them able to be viewed by all members.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

  4. #14
    kitsapcowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Kitsap County, WA
    Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Soon thereafter, the Bat Tangle was hypothesized, and later a prototype was built: a 12'x12' square widebody version of the Cat Tangle -- because if 10 feet of width is good, wouldn't 12 feet be better? (Eventually, I explored this concept further and optimized the size to an 11'x11' tarp with special modifications for a wider variety of applications, called the Trail Boss (project report forthcoming).
    NB: The related Trail Boss multipurpose tarp, the redesigned and augmented little cousin of the Bat Tangle and Super Bat Tangle, now has its own project report, and the complete step-by-step DIY construction guide for the Trail Boss is now online in the Articles section of the Dutchware Gear website. The SBT shares many of the same construction techniques as the Trail Boss, and the information provided in the original post in this thread should be sufficient in conjunction with that tutorial article for anyone to build one.

    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...36#post1893336

    https://dutchwaregear.com/2018/05/31...ipurpose-tarp/
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Hammock
    Dutchware, BearButt
    Tarp
    WB-SF, KC-Batwing
    Insulation
    PLUQ,AHE-NR,WL-BWK
    Suspension
    Various
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    Every time I read one of your projects I learn something new ... well done. This thing is the size of a small store .... coffee and donuts in the wild anyone?

    Are you still using the grosgrain on the pole points or just into the Beastie D's?

    Brian
    Well, I've tried to figure out how to make this work and it just doesn't.

    Coffee in the wild, sure, no problem. It's the deep fryer and oil required to make the donuts that takes up more space (even for car camping) than I'm willing to allow. Between the 12 person tent for the girlfriend and the child, the queen size air mattress for each, the 0 degree flannel sleeping bags, the 3 burner propane stove, the propane camp oven, the 20x20 and 10x10 pop-up shelters, the 50# of cast iron, the ice chest for the family food, and the ice chest for the donut supplies, there's just not enough room for the deep fryer and the 20 gallons of oil. Even if we get a trailer to make that happen, she's going to want to bring the espresso machine, and that's a whole 'nuther hassle (between the machine, the water supply, the beans, the roaster, the burr grinder and the generator, it's just too much).


  6. #16
    kitsapcowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Kitsap County, WA
    Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by LTMillar View Post
    Well, I've tried to figure out how to make this work and it just doesn't.

    Coffee in the wild, sure, no problem. It's the deep fryer and oil required to make the donuts that takes up more space (even for car camping) than I'm willing to allow. Between the 12 person tent for the girlfriend and the child, the queen size air mattress for each, the 0 degree flannel sleeping bags, the 3 burner propane stove, the propane camp oven, the 20x20 and 10x10 pop-up shelters, the 50# of cast iron, the ice chest for the family food, and the ice chest for the donut supplies, there's just not enough room for the deep fryer and the 20 gallons of oil. Even if we get a trailer to make that happen, she's going to want to bring the espresso machine, and that's a whole 'nuther hassle (between the machine, the water supply, the beans, the roaster, the burr grinder and the generator, it's just too much).

    I think you've just about got your gear list right there
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

  7. #17
    kitsapcowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Kitsap County, WA
    Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    3,763

    Clark Kent

    The humble -- but still awesome -- standard Bat Tangle 12' x 12' tarp, close cousin to the SBT and Trail Boss...



    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 06-21-2018 at 08:04.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

  8. #18
    Senior Member GillyGilligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/WL TQ
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Posts
    270
    Images
    5
    That is exactly what I am looking to do with mine. Nice!!
    Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Similar Threads

  1. The Cowboy Cat Tangle Tarp
    By kitsapcowboy in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 08-22-2018, 19:13
  2. Cowboy Camping in a hammock, what is in a name?
    By SGT Rock in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-20-2015, 22:09
  3. Hangin at Cowboy Stadium!
    By Cogneato in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 02:02

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •