WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    The hammock that changed my view of hammocks was on a screened porch of an over priced ‘vrbo’ on the John Day. That was when I learned to lay on the diagonal. And really wanted a good cloth hammock.

I then got a hammock from maranon as I randomly ran in to their shop on a business trip in Barcelona. BTW, they sell great hammocks for your yard.

years pass and I started seeing people camping with hammocks (mostly mtn bikers) and got curious.

I started camping with a hammock with a WB XLC single layer. I am still pretty new to it. I have tried a ridgerunner and a dutchware chameleon. I am now using a UL XLC double layer.

I like the asym design and the shelf. I am on the large side of the single layer (6’2” @ 220) and when I got my kid the chameleon I could tell I liked the less stretchy lay. So I got an XLC double layer (and added 4oz). And yes. I do weigh everything. And the double layer is now with my chair for stuff I carry because I am happier for it.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    GT for about 2 months. BIAS WW then DH Freebird. Still sleep most nights in a Freebird. My goto on the trail went from there to a Sheltowee/Bonefire~Whisper. Which is a10' 30 degree Asym with full length sewn in UQ. As UL as I care to go and part of a sub 12 pound kit.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 0
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie sling
    My first hammock was a cheap net hammock I picked up from somewhere in the 90's...I had a few of the worst nights sleep I've ever had in that thing but I was young and stupid back then and didn't know about diagonal lay. Many years later I was gearing up for a motorcycle ride across the country and needed to shave weight so I had the brilliant "original" (or so I thought) idea, that there MUST be a more comfortable version of a hammock out there to camp in. So began my journey.
    Hennessy Expedition Classic with the velcro bottom entry was the second along the ride, which got replaced by a Warbonnet Blackbird single layer ultralight prototype that now I'm too fat for...haha. That lasted 15 years or so. Two days ago I ordered a Dutchware Chameleon. I hope it's as comfortable as the Black bird, that thing changed my life.

It's really cool to see the community grow from never seeing hammocks out on the trail to now seeing hammock villages being built at campsites for those of us in the bear burritos! I have seen so much innovation and excitement over the years and hope to continue to see more! Even though I lurk more than post these days I'm glad I found this community so many years ago. I now have two kids who have never slept a night on the ground and a wife who has only slept in a tent once before her conversion.

Everyday above ground is a good day!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I am sometimes the weird ‘hammock evangelist’. But I felt reassured recently when talking to a somewhat random person about hammocks (long story, but he had a Chameleon but had not used it yet for camping). And while I got geared up for my ‘prophetelizing’, my partner was rolling her eyes. But she also told the guy that camping with a hammock was game changing.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Ok I’ll fess up….

My first hammock was a Skeeter Beater Pro. It was still was more comfortable than my tent! It was actually pretty good but heavy and clunky with the tie outs. That said I could still sleep well in it and still do so occasionally.

Mt current hammock is a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. The family and I have a collection of them and I love it when we all go out! It’s not frequently enough anymore but I treasure the memories and the occasional trip where we all still go!
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    Ok I’ll fess up….

My first hammock was a Skeeter Beater Pro. It was still was more comfortable than my tent! It was actually pretty good but heavy and clunky with the tie outs. That said I could still sleep well in it and still do so occasionally.

Mt current hammock is a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. The family and I have a collection of them and I love it when we all go out! It’s not frequently enough anymore but I treasure the memories and the occasional trip where we all still go!

my first was also a skeeter beeter pro and i slept very good in my but i am 5ft even. my current hammock is also a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair but also have a dream hammock sparrow that i really like
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    My FIRST first hammock was likely a rope style on a metal stand, but my first camping hammock was the ENO double nest deluxe. I picked it up after my camping duffle was stolen based on some recommendations and availability at the time. It always made sense as in the PNW, we have plenty of trees, but not a lot of dry/level ground.

My newest hammock (and probably the only one I'll take out as a non-loaner for at least this season) is an 11' from MeyersTech Hammock Lab. I've only spent one night in it, but the dual side stuff sack, quilt hooks, unzippable net, structural ridgeline, and extra length (ENO is ~9') are many of the features I've been imagining. I was worried about the width, but so far it was comfortable.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    My first was a Hennessy deep jungle xl. We had some good times. The rabbit hole was deep. Many hammocks,and experiments, later, I found the simply light trail lair to be my end all for the gathered end quest for ultimate comfort. And for a bridge I use the Townsend luxury big guy and a custom zipped bug sock. I use each about half the time. The bridge is over all the most comfortable I’ve ever used. The gathered has a simplicity that works better for some situations. Love em both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Hello, somewhat new here but stop by to see what's new. I started with a ENO, and learned that I like "hammocking" but needed a better hammock. Next I got a Pack it lite hammock without the net. The hype didn't match the experience and that one sits in my ATV, but it won't see any actual overnight use! The first "real" Hammock I got was a Hammeck Envy S, Double layer 11' deal. Great hammock and top notch workmanship, but after getting it I learned I prefer head right, feet left, unfortunately the Hammeck is just the opposite! I then migrated to a 12' 72" Dutch netless hammock with a fronky style bugnet. That was and still is the general formula for success IMHO and that one is what I sleep in every night, (without the net) 😁. Tried Simply lite Design, amazing stuff, top quality and supper quick shipping. I have two of Jared's 12', wide hammocks and fronky nets and are my camping set ups. For this year I just got a Warrbonett Ridgerunner that I have high hopes for! Honorable mention is a Clark Vertex two person hammock that we don't use anymore, but was fun when we did. I have to figure out how to cull the heard ! LOL !

Thanks J

Hammock
    Banyan
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE RC xl,Nemo Ten
    My first ever was a Hennessy Exped, I would assume an old model, that I got at a used gear store for $50. I had no idea what an asym hammock (or tarp for that matter) was, I had only heard the name and saw the deal. I took it out a few times, quickly grew to despise the bottom entry, and had to bail on a trip due to the tarp turning into a rain sieve. I did rewaterproof the tarp, all was well there. I don't recall why I chose what I did next, but I got the double layer Banyan next, my current favorite, however I was pairing it with this tiny Eno Profly. Worked well enough until my toes got wet in a torrential downpour! Currently using a 12' OneWind tarp, going out this weekend for its first outing. Also recently got an AHE UQ, and i put an extra long/wide Nemo Tensor in the second layer of the Banyan, it's unbearably comfortable, but I wanted to the ability to camp under 38F (my previous lowest temperature hang).

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast