Cameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Gemini
    Suspension
    Dynema-Beetle Buck

Chameleon and Sub 7

My daughter wants to go on a backpacking trip with me so I thought I would introduce her to hanging. I have a Chamelon with beetle buckles I use as my go to hammock, but also grabbed an Eno Sub 7 at a REI garage sale.

The Chameleon is 11’ while the Sub 7 is 8’. I want to hang on the same trees under the same tarp so I thought I would order another set of beetle buckles and spreader bars for her hammock. I assume the best way to hang would be to replace the continuous loops on the Eno such that the total length, including continuous loops is the same as my Chamelon?

I will also have to order some poles from UGQ to go with my Winter Dream 12’ so that there is enough room under the tarp for two hangers, as well as build another set of Costco quilts.

My daughter is only 8 and well under 5’ so I’m not concerned about the hammock being too small for her.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    IMO you can do fine with the same length loops as long as the heads are the same distance from the tree. You will have to hang the ENO a little higher up the tree on the foot end to compensate for the longer suspension.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    IMO you can do fine with the same length loops as long as the heads are the same distance from the tree. You will have to hang the ENO a little higher up the tree on the foot end to compensate for the longer suspension.
    Well, never mind then... maybe it would work better than I thought.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Superfly20D
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Loops/Mule Tape
    Just got done taking my wife on her first trip, and the only thing she complained about was not being together under the same tarp. I just ordered CL's and beetle buckles for my eno and hennessy hyperlite, with a spreader. With my wife being under 5 feet and about 90 lbs, I'm pretty sure just getting the heads even and adjusting from there should be fine. All I need is a kelty noah's 16 and i should be tandem ready. I'll report when I get it hung.

EDIT: Unless this super secret thingy from Dutch comes out before I get around to ordering the Kelty??????
    Last edited by Kaptastic4wd; 05-01-2018 at 17:30.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamb0ne View Post
    My daughter wants to go on a backpacking trip with me so I thought I would introduce her to hanging. I have a Chamelon with beetle buckles I use as my go to hammock, but also grabbed an Eno Sub 7 at a REI garage sale.

The Chameleon is 11’ while the Sub 7 is 8’. I want to hang on the same trees under the same tarp so I thought I would order another set of beetle buckles and spreader bars for her hammock. I assume the best way to hang would be to replace the continuous loops on the Eno such that the total length, including continuous loops is the same as my Chamelon?

I will also have to order some poles from UGQ to go with my Winter Dream 12’ so that there is enough room under the tarp for two hangers, as well as build another set of Costco quilts.

My daughter is only 8 and well under 5’ so I’m not concerned about the hammock being too small for her.
    I would strongly recommend grabbing one of the 11' Netless hammocks on sale from DutchWare for $30 instead. To be fair, I haven't tried pairing a short hammock with a 11'er, but I suspect it will be somewhat awkward. If you want to try anyway, my guess is that you'll want the distance on the head end of the hammocks (CL from gathered in to beetle buckle) to be the same. AFAIK you normally want the strap/whoopie distance from the spreader connection point to the tree to be equal on both sides, but you might want to vary that when you're hanging with someone substantially lighter (little longer on your daughter's side?). Either way, you'll want to be careful getting in and out as the spreader bar can rock quite a bit, which is not a big issue unless your tarp is pitched close enough to get hit with the ends.

Again - just my $0.02 and it may not be worth that, as I haven't tried this with hammocks of different lengths. I have, however, used the Dutch spreader bar system to pair an 11' Netless with my Chameleon Wide and my WBBB XLC, with Beetle Buckles and with the Double Whoopie Hooks. Works great, as long as the sky is clear. Still searching for the ideal tarp for a tandem hang.

- James

• + New Posts