WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzz View Post
    I've never stayed there, but am familiar with the area and terrain. There are only 6 marked sites at Little Round Valley. I wouldn't worry too much about the 20' rule but more about availability since summer and the weekends tend to be the busiest times. It might be a stretch finding enough correctly spaced trees for that many hammocks on one site, so you will probably have to spread out a bit. Around the campsites it isn't dense forrest, but more a mix of large rocky areas with large trees mixed in. Good luck! If you're hiking out of Idyllwild and taking the Deer Springs Trail to LRV, it's about 8 miles and 4000ft of elevation.

Here's a bit of a visual of the area.

https://youtu.be/D9OryklTGp4
    Thank you so much for the response! The video of that campsite helps. We received our permit last month to stay there, so we're ahead of the game on that. I had a contingency plan to have the wife and two smaller kids in a tarp tent and myself and the oldest in hammocks, it looks like we'll probably do that. Yes, we are planning on taking the deer springs trail out of idyllwyld. We're hoping for good weather (since we're traveling from Indiana!). However, I'm looking at temps ten days out from now in idyllwyld and I'm seeing freezing temperatures at night, is that normal for June? We're ready for it, I was just surprised by it.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy "Bull" Bullock View Post
    Thank you so much for the response! The video of that campsite helps. We received our permit last month to stay there, so we're ahead of the game on that. I had a contingency plan to have the wife and two smaller kids in a tarp tent and myself and the oldest in hammocks, it looks like we'll probably do that. Yes, we are planning on taking the deer springs trail out of idyllwyld. We're hoping for good weather (since we're traveling from Indiana!). However, I'm looking at temps ten days out from now in idyllwyld and I'm seeing freezing temperatures at night, is that normal for June? We're ready for it, I was just surprised by it.

Thanks again!
    Sounds like an excellent trip and plan. It's not unusual for colder weather in that area at that elevation. The real summer temps seem to hit later towards the end of summer into fall. Also, it tends to be a bit windy at night. If you can, let me know how the hike goes since I plan on taking that route one of these days.

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Sounds like an excellent trip and plan. It's not unusual for colder weather in that area at that elevation. The real summer temps seem to hit later towards the end of summer into fall. Also, it tends to be a bit windy at night. If you can, let me know how the hike goes since I plan on taking that route one of these days.
    Absolutely! Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Whoopies, mule tap
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy "Bull" Bullock View Post
    My family and I are heading there first week of June for an overnight trip and staying at little round valley. Starting and ending in idyllwild. Does anyone know if the sites can accommodate 5 hammocks? The ranger I emailed said you have to be set up no further than 20í from the site numbering post.
    We had site A4 Lower Lupine, and there was plenty of trees, tent sites and privacy.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    DIY asym sil poly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Water was ok. There was a stream right behind little round valley campground that I was able to fill up on.

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    So we did our trip! It was great! I had contacted the rangers to inquire about water and they said basically to plan on no water available. We almost cancelled, but glad we didnít. We took 15 liters with us (5 of us) and boiled what we cooked with. We left the trailhead around 11 am.

The hike up is no joke. It was tough, given our Hoosier hiking experience.

We did see water about a half mile below little round Valley.

We took this and like I said, used it for cooking.

We got to little round Valley and went to campsite 5 around 6 pm.

Here we set up my tarp tent and my ridgerunner and my sons blackbird.

Iím pretty sure we could have set everyone up in hammocks but we would have broken the 20í to the post rule.

It got down to 46 degrees, no biggie. That morning we packed up and left our stuff in camp except for some essentials and headed to the top of Mt. San Jacinto.

We came back down and found something was pretty thirsty because it bit into a Sawyer bag.

We loaded back up and it only took us half the time to get back down, however my ankles are paying for that today! Still the views are amazing! I highly suggest doing this hike.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Andy "Bull" Bullock

Looks like an excellent trip! Thanks for the info and great pics. I'm going to hike that trail next week.